Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2015, 02:07 PM

249 posts, read 321,494 times

Advertisements

Without going into great detail about my experience with the local CG Aux. here in North Port this week, I can tell you that I am very disappointed with the volunteer who checked out my boat while it was parked in our harbor.
My past experiences have been great, but this guy chewed me up one side and down the other because of the way the registration numbers were applied to the bow by the previous owner. There was not a space between the letters and numbers. I know that's the law but this guy made a federal offense out of it to the point that the four of us didn't even feel like taking the boat out for our maiden voyage. The two ladies with us actually felt threatened by his aggressiveness. I welcome the inspection, but the attitude I can do without.
Please tell me this is an isolated incident and not the norm. If this is some new way of doing business for a great organization, my boat will be for sale next week.
Your experiences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2015, 02:11 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,440,098 times
A little power and authority goes to some peoples heads! We had one once crash into the side of my brother-in-laws 1 week old boat scratching it up pretty good. And not as much as a sorry....

Old 07-03-2015, 02:31 PM

1,713 posts, read 2,347,326 times
THAT is what would make you sell a boat? I can think of a hundred reasons why I sold mine.

They say the happiest days are when you buy and when you sell the boat. It's a load of garbage. The happiness level on the day you sell far exceeds the day you bought it.

Old 07-03-2015, 03:34 PM

72 posts, read 139,639 times
You wrote that your past experiences (with the coast guard, right?) have been great. So why let one powers-gone-to-the-head jerk ruin boating for you?

We all encounter persons like this now and then. Try to consider that these types are either having a bad day or that they actually have a mental problem. Just nod along in agreement as they rant and know in your brain that you're better than they are.

Did you get the guy even more upset by saying that all previous inspectors didn't say anything about the numbers not being spaced?

Old 07-03-2015, 06:25 PM

I didn't have to say anything to get him going. The first thing out of his mouth was " and that's going to be a $150 fine". He was pointing to the registration numbers. The quieter I was the more wound up he got. Good thing he didn't have a badge and a Dick Tracey ring communicator. I would have been in big trouble then.

Old 07-03-2015, 07:53 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,688,635 times
gotta report him. as***les not allowed

Old 07-03-2015, 08:21 PM

Thanks for the advice. Isolated incident.

Old 07-04-2015, 05:59 AM

1,393 posts, read 1,553,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photoman_6 View Post
gotta report him. as***les not allowed
I'm with photoman - te a-hole needs reported.

He was within his rights to write you up though if a space between the letters and numbers is required. That's kind of like me not running a front license plate on my Vette in NYS because it looks like chit. I know it's illegal and if I chose to run without it (which I don't) and got a ticket, it'd be on me but I wouldn't take a gestapo style officers aggression. He/she'd be reported in a heartbeat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area