Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 10:35 PM

19 posts, read 20,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastal chic View Post
I don't know if the HOA could restrict you from lanai gardening, but I think most plants require pollination to produce fruit. Screens typically keep the bees out! There are some new varieties of "patio citrus" that don't require cross pollination, though. Maybe that's the new trend.
I'm still new to gardening, but I heard that in case there are no bees, a fan may be used to help with the pollination. Guess I'll have to do a little research to see what's possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 12:51 PM

1,268 posts, read 3,000,708 times
Also check out the area surrounding Manasota Beach Rd in North Englewood, west of 776. I love that area! No deed restrictions, they just installed sewer, and you can bike to the beach! Close to Venice for shopping.

Old 07-30-2015, 01:45 PM

19 posts, read 20,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastal chic View Post
Also check out the area surrounding Manasota Beach Rd in North Englewood, west of 776. I love that area! No deed restrictions, they just installed sewer, and you can bike to the beach! Close to Venice for shopping.
Thanks! I'll have to take a closer look at that area, too, then. A few months ago, I drove to Manasota Beach and as I approached the beach parking lot area, I could smell an unpleasant odor from outside. I didn't stay for very long as a result. Don't know if it was the smell of sewage or what, but I haven't returned there since.

Old 07-30-2015, 02:24 PM

704 posts, read 771,995 times
Naturool, this is the area of S. Venice where we live. I love it here. I am within walking distance of the beach, lovely gulf breezes, nice quiet neighborhood. I would at least give it a look.

Old 07-30-2015, 02:29 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,190,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturool View Post
Thanks! I'll have to take a closer look at that area, too, then. A few months ago, I drove to Manasota Beach and as I approached the beach parking lot area, I could smell an unpleasant odor from outside. I didn't stay for very long as a result. Don't know if it was the smell of sewage or what, but I haven't returned there since.
We've been there numerous times and the only unpleasant smell we've ever experienced was from a large group of people in the pavilion all of whom appeared to be smoking.

Old 07-30-2015, 02:35 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,504,944 times
That is strange - I have never noticed a bad smell near beautiful Manasota Beach which is mostly pristine

Old 07-30-2015, 03:08 PM

1,268 posts, read 3,000,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturool View Post
They had been working on the sewer lines in that neighborhood (which is why I recommended it- now you can hookup to public sewer! ) so I'll bet that's what you smelled. It certainly doesn't usually smell like that.

Old 07-30-2015, 05:58 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,925,572 times
When I answered last time I was in Alaska answering from my phone. Here are a few ideas of places to scout out in the Venice and surrounding area: East Gate, Gulf Shores, Hourglass Lake, South Venice, maybe some of the Sorrento neighborhoods (haven't checked their restrictions for fruit trees), Venice Gardens and Venice East, Blackburn Shores, Dona Bay, Pinebrook, Golden Beach.

If you're willing to travel into the Englewood area you'd have a few more options-Pelican Shores, Overbrook Gardens, Manasota Key, Lemon Bay Park, Grove City, maybe Englewood Acres, Englewood Farm Acres, Bay Vista, Englewood Gardens, Horton Estates, Oxford Manor, Pine Cove, Rock Creek and Chadwicks.

The above areas have city water and sewer or a portion of the community has it. Most would likely be OK with a fence or small garden but that would need to be verified.

I have over 60 exotic fruit trees and I live in the Englewood area. Gardening is fun

Old 07-31-2015, 07:27 PM

202 posts, read 715,428 times
SoFLGal or anyone else that might know....Would any of the areas that you mentioned above allow chickens/coup in a fenced backyard or is this area Not Rural enough? If not, which areas, closest to beach, near the Venice area, (that have min. of 1/2 to 1 acre but no more than two acres), would allow chickens? Thanks!

Old 07-31-2015, 08:08 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,925,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaIL View Post
SoFLGal or anyone else that might know....Would any of the areas that you mentioned above allow chickens/coup in a fenced backyard or is this area Not Rural enough? If not, which areas, closest to beach, near the Venice area, (that have min. of 1/2 to 1 acre but no more than two acres), would allow chickens? Thanks!
Wow...hmmm. Close to the beach with chickens. Well, I live on Palm Island, a five minute walk from the beach and my next door neighbor has chickens. I'm pretty sure he's not supposed to.

Most of the property that's suitable for chickens would be zoned agriculturally and most of those areas are out by the interstate. If your property is zoned Agricultural, OUE, OUA or OUR you're ok. If it's RSF or residential single family you are not.

Here's some interesting reading material regarding chickens in Sarasota:

Sarasota CLUCK

Sarasota Florida Chicken Ordinance - BackYard Chickens Community

Here's a chicken approval and disapproval map of Sarasota county: Sarasota CLUCK: Can I keep chickens where I live in Sarasota County?

Alright, so back to your original question. Basically 1-2 acres in Sarasota county that is zoned for chickens. You'd have Bliss Estates and Oak Ford Golf Club with 1-2 acres. North Port Estates would have 3-5 acre parcels and would be the most affordable. There's also Lake Geraldine that's zoned AG. Venice Farms, Saddle Creek, Hidden River, Gator Creek, Forest at Hi Hat Ranch, Bel-air Estate, Myakka Valley Ranches and Racimo Ranches are all zoned OUE.

Nothing is really, per se, close to the beaches.

Hope this helps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area