Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2015, 08:03 AM

3 posts, read 2,750 times

Advertisements

Hi there—

I'm a Sarasota native considering a move back home. I want to buy a 2BR+ condo with a pool (or a single-family home) but it must be $150-175k or less. I look at Trulia, Zillow, etc., obsessively every day — for months. What developments/areas are safe, inexpensive, have pool access and (if I'm dreaming) are close to things I can walk to/downtown? And what is Barrington Woods like?

In short: Where would YOU spend your $? Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2015, 10:48 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,504,944 times
You can get a nice home in North Port for that amount - it only takes about 30 minutes to get to the beach.

Old 12-03-2015, 05:24 PM

3,179 posts, read 6,004,461 times
The closest to downtown is going to be in Citywalk Condos, just east of 41 near Payne Park. Built in 1974, 875sqft with a community pool. One ground floor unit is $118k and a 2nd floor unit is $125k. These are approx 1 mile from downtown. Just 1/2 mile south of there is a 2BR ground floor condo in Cordova Gardens listed at $160k. Those are the only options right now, close to downtown in that budget.

Old 12-03-2015, 07:30 PM

4,619 posts, read 7,541,245 times
Barrington Woods is located in an area that has quite a few rental homes, let's just say some of the tenants are "mowing challenged." The complex itself appears well maintained, I showed there a couple of months back. Buildings are frame, which does sometimes mean more exterior maintenance (wood rot) by the condo association. Condo association requires both credit checks and background checks for all buyers as well as tenants. They can also be stinkers about visitor parking from time to time. The only 2 listings in the MLS at the moment are both AWC -- which means they have an executed sales contract that may be looking for back up offers due to contingencies.

Finding anything close to downtown in your price range will be a challenge. You will get more bang for your buck if you go further east, towards Beneva or perhaps NE towards the Meadows & Palm Aire.

Single family homes will be smallish, older and probably need updating in your price range. If you are willing to look beyond the immediate downtown Sarasota area, there are probably 30 or more neighborhoods that I can think of, although many do not have active listings at the moment, check back after the holidays. For older homes the insurance rates can be expensive, you'll want to know age of the roof & AC and whether the plumbing and electrical have been updated (with permits).

For homes you might try looking in the area south of Fruitville, east and west of Tuttle. That's probably as close to downtown as you will get in your price range.

Old 12-05-2015, 10:36 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor Hopper View Post
The closest to downtown is going to be in Citywalk Condos, just east of 41 near Payne Park. Built in 1974, 875sqft with a community pool. One ground floor unit is $118k and a 2nd floor unit is $125k. These are approx 1 mile from downtown. Just 1/2 mile south of there is a 2BR ground floor condo in Cordova Gardens listed at $160k. Those are the only options right now, close to downtown in that budget.
THose condos are in a very nice area IMHO....at least for city living.
I'm not sure of the condition and fees and type of people who occupy them.

For the $175 the OP may be able to pick up something in mid-grade shape in the single family house areas around there - but probably no pool (but room for one in the backyard).

I'd say about 220-250 is the lowest end where you may get a 1/2 decent house in the area there W/POOL - which I will broadly say is "within a mile of the High School).

I do think it's the nicest mid-budget area in the whole SRQ region - but then again I am biased since we have a place in Paver Park.

Some pics of the park and area enclosed.
Attached Thumbnails
Buget: 5k or less. Please help!-dji01444.jpg   Buget: 5k or less. Please help!-img_3812.jpg  

Old 12-05-2015, 08:50 PM

You are all unbelievably helpful. I have been losing my mind looking at listings and trying to figure this out. I'm a first-time buyer, too, so just learning about all the costs and fees associated with buying a condo is giving me agita. I have to wonder if buying a house vs. condo might not be a better value in the end—come what may. Many thanks!

Old 12-05-2015, 09:24 PM

One last question: I am a little besotted with Pine Run. What do I need to know? And the Cordova Gardens also look great. How are they really?

Old 12-07-2015, 08:37 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,504,944 times
You should always rent first - get to know the area - then buy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area