Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2016, 07:56 AM

12 posts, read 7,787 times

Advertisements

We are considering a move to the area with two would be sixth graders. I have researched the schools and it seems that Sarasota Middle School/Riverview High combo are the best schools in the area, but in reading recent reviews of the middle school some mentioned a huge problem with bullying and drugs. Neither of my kids would be in the gifted program. My daughter is a typical AB student and my son has a learning disability and will n need some additional help. I certainly don't want to relocate my kids and put them in a bad situation where bullying is happening. However, I do know that reviews are skewed to one's personal experience so I was hoping to get some reviews of the school beyond the gifted program. Is the school very segregated by whether you are gifted or regular ed? How is the social environment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2016, 03:56 PM

1 posts, read 837 times
I have a 6th grader currently at Sarasota Middle and have not seen or heard of one instance of bullying or any issues with drugs. I'm happy with his teachers and the education he's getting. I have a 5th grader and will be happy to send them next year. Segregation? Maybe, depends on how you look at it. Kids are grouped for their core classes, so the gifted program is in the same building for Language/Science/History classes. Same thing happens with regular kids they are put into a group and rotate through the same classes with those kids in roughly the same building. If I remember correctly there are 2 gifted groups and 2 regular groups per grade (but I'd really need to go look that up.) I don't think I'm explaining that well, sorry. You don't have the same kids in every class because of how big the groups are, but you'll always just be with kids from your group in your core classes, so over the years you get to know that subset of kids better. All electives (and math) are mixed between gifted and regular ed. Don't have a huge opinion of the social environment yet, haven't done much there other than band concerts - but I can say that the band teacher is incredible!

Old 01-17-2016, 06:04 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
If your child has been diagnosed with a learning disability that requires educational modification legally the district has to provide measures to provide that modification and extra help---
And they are supposed to do it w/o long delay
It often helps if you bring any documentation of that modification when you register--
Some districts will use that to make immediate placement--some districts will wait for the school you left to send records before allowing modifications---and sometimes the previous school is not prompt in sending that info...

Moving to new school might also require retesting--
It seems like every district has its own policy although I think they just choose to implement the legal requirements to suit themselves sometimes...

The only caution I would make (as a retired teacher who taught students entitled to modifications) is that SOME students if they are retested several years after their initial certification for modification MIGHT test higher and fail to meet standards to continue their modifications...they basically test out...
I saw several instances over the years where students had made excellent progress because of how their weaknesses were addressed and basically they tested high enough not to qualify for modification--or at least the same level of modification...Sometimes the parents asked for retesting because they wanted MORE modification/assistance and getting a higher score really boomeranged against their child...

Hope you find a good spot for your children...

Old 01-17-2016, 09:37 PM

12 posts, read 7,787 times
Thanks for the comments. My plan is to bring my son's current IEP and try to meet with the school ahead of time to get things situated. Middles school is tough. I know they will adjust eventually, but would like to make it as smooth a process as possible. Ok, honestly, I'm worried that moving will mess up all our progress. The more research I do and the more I learn, it makes me feel more comfortable about moving them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
View detailed profiles of: