Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 09:02 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrannyLWR View Post

Nope, the world has changed, but some people think all things are just peachy-keen. They are OUT of touch with today's reality, and perhaps too old to see it, or worse yet unable or unwilling to recognize a shift in their children's and grand children's economy.

Posters here who are over 60 to 65 are not the future, you're the past. Get a grip and look around yourselves, outside your own bubble....talk to your grown children and perhaps your grand children and you might get a whiff of reality's air.

In a very short while, some of you will be demented, crippled, hospitalized or dead. I've never seen a U-Haul following a hearse yet.

Enjoy!
Well, the world always changes!

When I was a child JFK, RFK, MLK, race riots, the counterculture, the vietnam war and a bunch of other stuch stuff was going on. Not exactly peaches and cream!

I do talk to our kids and they are doing fine, thank you! Unlike some of the entitled masses, they do not think their birthright includes BMWs, McMansions or - in fact - anything that they didn't work for. Yeah - I know - strange!

Everything changes and everything remains the same. Many of us knew way back in the 60's and early 70's that the corporations were colluding to drive everyone to servitude. We were called crazy and told to love it or leave it.

Now that a lot of people have gotten exactly what they wished for...destruction of the unions, the middle class, manufacturing, etc....NOW, they are complaining.

Sarasota is unlike most of the real world. Up here in New England lots of people have jobs at 70 to 100K plus. Of course, we are talking educated people.

It appears you have your own reality and are under the mistaken impression that is the reality for everyone else. I can assure you it is not.

Of course you are correct that we all age and pass away. What else is new? Life is for the living and that applies whether you are 7 or 70.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2016, 10:06 AM

20 posts, read 19,882 times
I think what was being said was that most of you other posters here aren't living in the same life zone or time in professional life/career, and that's obvious to me as well. Most of your realities of experiencing JFK, and Vietnam for godsake is not reflective of anything going on now at all. which seems to me exceedingly accurate. If you're 65 years old, or approaching that right now, sitting around your house in Sarasota/Manatee, clicking up a storm on City-Data, you're hardly part of mainstream life in America in 2016. I think that was the point. Weak and shallow proclamations about "life is for the living" ring sort of hollow. Society, economics, education and family has shifted and changed more in the past 15 years than during the eras of Dr. King, JFK, and the Vietnam War. If you can't see and acknowledge that, then that's the problem with aging. You are forever tied to the past. The Grim Reaper is simply closer to some people's doorstep than others, so what you choose to believe, say, or shout becomes more and more irrelevant to what's actually happening around you. That's the way the cookie crumbles. Internet banter contributes nothing to wisdom...neither does age necessarily. Lamenting about the 60s and 70s can only remind a dispassionate reader about how out of touch you might truly be, those things are mere bookmarks for your own memory and self-esteem.

Old 06-29-2016, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMemeFemme View Post
Society, economics, education and family has shifted and changed more in the past 15 years than during the eras of Dr. King, JFK, and the Vietnam War. If you can't see and acknowledge that, then that's the problem with aging..
Hah - I am still very much (voluntarily) involved in the workforce and travel - and we live in New England and only spend a short time in SRQ.....

Changed more in the last 15 years? You need to go back to infowars and assure yourself of that! Vietnam and Iraq had similarities - except that 50K+ Americans died in SE Asia.

Sounds like you are scared of the boogeyman.

Nothing has changed...and that's coming from someone who reads 100's of pages of history each week. You need to turn off those web sites and cable news channels and learn things like math and statistics.

The biggest change - if you really want to get into that - is that the march of instant communication continues (and I am in that biz, so see it as it goes). This means a LOT of input and many people - seemingly like yourself - cannot handle it and go on overload by saying "the world has changed more..."....

We had plenty of hijackings, terrorism, wars, economic shifts, political BS, etc. for a LONG time. Look it up.

Heck, what we have now in this country is the return of the nativists - the "know nothings" - same ones you see in the 1860 set "gangs of New York" (the butcher and his friends).

I will agree on one thing. Never have so many people been so poorly educated as to fight against their own interests.

Old 06-29-2016, 06:25 PM

4,619 posts, read 7,541,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Hah - I am still very much (voluntarily) involved in the workforce and travel - and we live in New England and only spend a short time in SRQ.....

Changed more in the last 15 years? You need to go back to infowars and assure yourself of that! Vietnam and Iraq had similarities - except that 50K+ Americans died in SE Asia.

Sounds like you are scared of the boogeyman.

Nothing has changed...and that's coming from someone who reads 100's of pages of history each week. You need to turn off those web sites and cable news channels and learn things like math and statistics.

The biggest change - if you really want to get into that - is that the march of instant communication continues (and I am in that biz, so see it as it goes). This means a LOT of input and many people - seemingly like yourself - cannot handle it and go on overload by saying "the world has changed more..."....

We had plenty of hijackings, terrorism, wars, economic shifts, political BS, etc. for a LONG time. Look it up.

Heck, what we have now in this country is the return of the nativists - the "know nothings" - same ones you see in the 1860 set "gangs of New York" (the butcher and his friends).

I will agree on one thing. Never have so many people been so poorly educated as to fight against their own interests.

The thread has veered off course from the original question quite a bit.

Old 06-29-2016, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Rules View Post
The thread has veered off course from the original question quite a bit.
Well, the end of the world will affect SRQ Real Estate!

Anyway, looking from afar I see some prices headed up slowly around us (AltaVista, etc.)....so I'm happy!

But after reading about these folks with the flesh eating bacteria (Gulf in TX), I'm not headed into the water during the really warm weather!

Old 06-30-2016, 12:50 PM

1,217 posts, read 1,226,583 times
Quote:
Well you can thank lots of posters for the drift off-topic, but that's a reality about chat boards on the internet.
The question about the direction of the Sarasota market in the near term and in the longer term is plainly contingent on a lot of factors, none of them static. It's plain to see for any LONG TERM ACTUAL RESIDENT (not part timers), that the current market prices are too high, and the market is ripe for more correction.Forget the baby-boomer argument which is tired, worn, and wrong. There aren't enough baby-boomers that will be living to sustain the trajectory or provide underpinnings with accessible, liquid or discretionary assets for another 8-10 years. That's simple to see if you have your eyes open. The baby-boomers are toast in that it's their LAST hoorah in purchasing another house. They're done buying and they won't be flipping their houses in order to move, trade-up, trade-down, trade-even for NOTHING. A current 22-yr old female in this town typically can't buy her first home even right now.....when that same person is 29 yrs old (seven years later) probably STILL would not be able to purchase her first home because of wage loss, unemployment rates, low low savings rates. In this town, there are 32 yr old attorneys and accountants that can't purchase their FIRST homes. The influx of migrants from "up Nawth" will not be a reliable source of new buyers either because of competition from other regions which are becoming more attractive, and certainly cheaper. There is a known level of diminishing return, whereby the market will flatten out - and we haven't even addressed other contributing factors such as simple "business cycles", "the weather", "the government (read taxes)", "insurance rates", and a host of other variables

The only thing simple to see is that you haven't been able to do any calculations in you quest to prove you know it all.

There are approximately 77 million baby boomers with the youngest being 10 years from retirement. That leaves roughly 42 million boomers left to decide whether to move to Florida or somewhere else or just stay put. That doesn't even include foreigners or anyone wanting to move here and bringing their good jobs with them.

Just because younger people here can't afford to buy here, has nothing to do with boomers kids that have good jobs up north and will be able to retire in Florida. Add that to the thousands of northerners moving here every year.

As to the ones here that bought low in the last few years, we're certainly not done trading up, down or sideways, building new houses or buying new cars. Haven't you heard, boomers have money and aren't afraid to spend it. Real estate "up Nawth" is selling for a lot more than it is in Fla.

Where do you get all your mis-information? Your rant sounds like sour grapes (and ShekleKing)

Old 07-01-2016, 04:56 AM

Read and comprehend if you can so you don't look like a fool. Boomers are not all 65. Do some research and educate yourself. Nothing worse than a Know-it-all that knows nothing. Double posting makes it look like a child is not sure of itself.
Fume on Sheckie.

Old 07-01-2016, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLHfan View Post
The only thing simple to see is that you haven't been able to do any calculations in you quest to prove you know it all.

Just because younger people here can't afford to buy here, has nothing to do with boomers kids that have good jobs up north and will be able to retire in Florida. Add that to the thousands of northerners moving here every year.

As to the ones here that bought low in the last few years, we're certainly not done trading up, down or sideways, building new houses or buying new cars. )

@Franny ~ I think I see where this poster doesn't understand your true point. You weren't talking about the boomers' children for heaven's sake, you were only talking about the BB-generation, not what the hell boomers' children might do! they aren't part of the BB-generation. Pretty easy to understand in my book. And comparing buying new cars to buying new houses is insanity. Your point about a shrinking pool of boomers is obviously true. The last BB's are in fact around 52. If they are younger than that, they certainly are not baby boomers, and that seems to be what you clearly stated.

Old 07-01-2016, 11:20 AM

Quote:
The fact remain is that people are retiring later and later...working longer and longer, not a shorter period of time. Lots of us are retiring early with fat pensions.

I don't care to argue with another poster whose opinion is vapid and empty, but you are entitled to it.....so is mine. NO ONE is asking you to support or agree with another's opinion. What's your problem anyway? You don't want to argue but you do it anyway.You can have your opinion even though it's completely wrong.

Baby Boomer generation(ers) are disappearing from the scene....Surely you must know when true "baby boomers" were BORN. Disappearing in what, forty years? I told you when they were born. Glad I could school ya'.

There is NOT a "new crop" of "baby boomers" every year. Baby Boomers are a finite set of people. They are getting less prevalent, less relevant, and less visible and active each year. They also are dying out every year. Again, this FINITE SET of "births" right after WWII - they are a defined AGE RANGE. See comment above

Few migrants 60 and over are planning to keep buying houses - trading up, down, or sideways. They are likely to make ONE last house purchase. But you forgot already, nor all boomers are above 60. My neighbor is 81 and just built a new house. Lots of them are moving all over the place. But how could you be expected to know?

The "era" of "baby boomers" and their retirement saga is simply coming to an end. They are on their last leg and simply dying out. In 40 years. Thats a lot of time to buy and sell.Baby boomers are people born approximately between the years 1946 and 1964. This includes people who are between 52 and 70 years old in 2016. That,s what I told you but again, glad I could school ya'.

It doesn't take a mental giant to conclude that a migrant to Sarasota who is 70 now, is not going to buy more than one house in his remaining lifetime. Before it was 60, now it's 70. Get a gripIt is also reasonable to believe that the remaining dwindling population of the baby boomers who are NOW about 52 yrs old are probably and mostly STILL working, and not buying second homes in Florida, SC, or AZ, Sure they are but how could you be expected to know it? By your posts it shows that you only think you know what boomers are doing.

The "baby boomer" population effect will have no continued effect obviously because of the shrinking and dying population of that subset of American population only born between 1946 and 1964. You can believe it if you want, but you would still be wrong. There's millions left waiting to retire with the oldest of the generation just starting to pass away.

Period....full stop.

If you're at the minimum 52 yrs old in 2016, you're the last of "baby boomers".....then ((((((((((((( P O O F ))))))))))))) no more "baby boomers"......Baby Boomers then, by definition won't be contributing significantly to the housing purchases - and the largest remaining portion of that birth group will be too old to worry about making a new house purchase - that will be the last thing on their agenda.Like I said, they'll be around for a long time to come. There is no 'poof' they're gone but I think you wish it were so IMO.
PS, Your posting with two user names and patting yourself on the back doesn't impress me.

Old 07-02-2016, 06:42 AM

You have a problem with others' opinions - that's very clear. And that smacks of a hidden agenda. Too bad, so sad.

PS, Your 81 yr. old neighbor is not a "baby boomer", and if you think it's usual for any 81 yr old to build another house, then you really have a weird agenda, and if you think that 81 yr olds are "moving all over the place", then you must be living in an alternative universe. That is patently false.

"Millions waiting to retire" doesn't make them baby-boomers! Something you can't seem to acknowledge. We'll have "retirees" FOREVER, but that doesn't make them "Baby Boomers". You insist on conflating the existence of "baby-boomers" with the entire population of all retirees to come. That's dumb, dumb, dumb.

It's also dumb to assert that baby-boomers aren't dying off or becoming immobile, sick, senile, demented, house-bound, hospitalized, or getting placed in ALF's. The facts are is that they are, and shall continue to be so.

Additionally, I don't think anybody on the internet is trying to "impress you", are you nuts? Maybe you're spending too much time worrying about posters on the internet ? See you in Vegas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area