Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 08:12 AM

4,896 posts, read 14,153,653 times

Advertisements

me either.

Old 09-28-2009, 01:59 PM

25,449 posts, read 11,744,800 times
28 homicides later.... Yep, I have NOTHING GOOD to say about Bradenton. PERIOD!

Old 10-02-2009, 03:56 AM

6 posts, read 21,356 times
Thank you, bradentondefender. Sarasota has about as much crime as Bradenton. They just like to "bury" their crime in the newspapers. When a serious crime is committed in Bradenton, it will be front page news for more than a day. Not so in Sarasota. Bad for tourism? A man was shot and killed in Sarasota just last weekend. Didn't get much press. As far as I'm concerned, it's just out and out snobbery. Sarasota is paradise and Bradenton is ghetto. Not true. There are plenty of perfectly nice and safe neighborhoods in Bradenton. Sheesh!

Old 10-02-2009, 08:01 AM

17,555 posts, read 39,200,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barefeetinbradenton View Post
Thank you, bradentondefender. Sarasota has about as much crime as Bradenton. They just like to "bury" their crime in the newspapers. When a serious crime is committed in Bradenton, it will be front page news for more than a day. Not so in Sarasota. Bad for tourism? A man was shot and killed in Sarasota just last weekend. Didn't get much press. As far as I'm concerned, it's just out and out snobbery. Sarasota is paradise and Bradenton is ghetto. Not true. There are plenty of perfectly nice and safe neighborhoods in Bradenton. Sheesh!
Actually, I agree with you. Years ago when we were living in Laurel Park, (a trendy but crime-infested neighborhood) the cops THEMSELVES told me that crime in the city goes seriously underreported because it is bad for business. Laurel Park is a little better now but Gillespie Park is still very bad. And Newtown is super-ghetto. That shooting there the the other day came while ANOTHER crime was also being committed there. There have also been other recent drive-by shooting/homicides in that neighborhood. Also, there was a more minor incident in my neighborhood (Whitfield) where a burglar was shot by a cop, but NO MENTION in the Sarasota paper, but huge front-page coverage in the Bradenton Herald. This area is technically in Manatee County but has a Sarasota address and is considered a Sarasota neighborhood.

While I do think overall Bradenton has more crime than most of Sarasota, it definitely gets more press, Sarasota tends to gloss theirs over. At the end of the day I live between both towns and love both equally, but for different reasons. Both have beautiful safe neighborhoods to live in, and the worst ghetto areas can easily be avoided, especially stay out of the 'hoods late at night!!!

Old 10-02-2009, 10:20 AM

4,896 posts, read 14,153,653 times
I actually found something kind of funny, but not re: an arrest in Bradenton.

It involved a drug dealer that was arrested in Bradenton....it was not front page news but was given space in the daily crime reports section.

However, when I hit up the SRQ Times Herald, it was right smack up there online for the whole world to see.....

...what they forgot to report, each paper, was that the dealer's father is a police officer....

Now, why did the Bradenton Herald not give it the same coverage the Sarasota paper did....

the arrest happened in Bradenton, blah, blah & more blah...go figure.

85 bags of heroin.

And then the rocks in plain view. (that'd be crack).

Yes, Sarasota has just as much drug crime as does Bradenton; SRQ is full of oxy abuse; whereas Bradenton is all about the meth & crack.

Old 12-15-2009, 01:44 PM

1 posts, read 4,152 times
Default bradenton

I wish I could. I was driving into Bradenton about a month ago to visit my girlfriend and two blocks from her house was met with the sight of a man standing on the sidewalk bent over at the waist with his pants and underwear pulled down to his ankles. All I'm thinking is why do I need to see some guys junk in the middle of what was shaping up to be a pleasant afternoon. Thank you Bradenton!

Old 12-15-2009, 08:18 PM

508 posts, read 1,108,723 times
Anything good about Bradenton? I've got something! It's warmer than some other places we know!
bah-dahmp- ching!

Old 12-15-2009, 10:00 PM

3,464 posts, read 1,899,088 times
no. never cared for bradington, haha

Old 12-24-2009, 11:26 AM

52 posts, read 138,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmorte62 View Post
I wish I could. I was driving into Bradenton about a month ago to visit my girlfriend and two blocks from her house was met with the sight of a man standing on the sidewalk bent over at the waist with his pants and underwear pulled down to his ankles.
Wow... what neighborhood is that? You called the cops, right? Obviously there was something really wrong with that guy. He needed help.

Yet I drive all over Bradenton nearly every day and have never seen anything even remotely like that.

Old 12-24-2009, 12:33 PM

17,555 posts, read 39,200,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msms View Post
Wow... what neighborhood is that? You called the cops, right? Obviously there was something really wrong with that guy. He needed help.

Yet I drive all over Bradenton nearly every day and have never seen anything even remotely like that.
Me neither.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area