Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 08:17 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times

Advertisements

I decided that since Bradenton is like the poor forgotten stepchild of this beautiful area, I would start posting some positive info about it, maybe a lot of people who even live in the area don't know some of this.

Anyway, here is a great article from the Boston Globe of all places, it's mainly about Village of the Arts, but talks about some of the great changes coming to downtown in the next 5 years:

Revitalized Bradenton brims with artistic flair - The Boston Globe

Here is a link to Village of the Arts page:

Village of the Arts - Bradenton, Florida

Bradenton was in the top 10 best cities for working artists to live (#5) by Art Calendar Magazine:

Art Calendar | 10 Great Towns for Working Artists by Kim Hall (http://www.artcalendar.com/article.asp?ID=70 - broken link)

And last, from the city website, crime has gone down consistently since 2003, despite the perception to the contrary:

http://www.cityofbradenton.com/index.asp?Type=B_BASIC&SEC={36FA2AFD-C482-45BA-9331-88716146939C}

Just trying to show "The Friendly City" a little love!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 01:32 PM

1 posts, read 5,304 times
Thank you Gypsychic, I have been feeling around for an intuitive compass as to where to find my last and permanent home. I had Sarasota in mind because I listened to someone who told me Bradenton had a lot of prostitutes and crackheads hanging around the downtown area. Because of your posting, I have read things which encourage me to search for my home in the Bradenton. I put off being an artist all my life and now I want to buy a"lite" and "brite" home conducive to my creative expression and to live in a community which shares the passion would be an added blessing. Thanks again and blessings ahead in 2010!

Old 01-07-2010, 02:06 PM

513 posts, read 1,223,855 times
Today's article on the arts district:

Village finds way to greet visitors | HeraldTribune.com | Sarasota Florida | Southwest Florida's Information Leader

Old 01-07-2010, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamy46 View Post
That's a nice article! I'd read another blurb about this center opening the other day, but this article is much better, thanks for posting it, Dreamy!

ColorJoy - Like almost anyplace I have ever lived or visited, there is good and bad. Yes, Bradenton has some problems, but it doesn't seem any worse there than anywhere else I've been. And this Village of the arts has done a HUGE amount for the area that it is located in. It is growing by leaps and bounds, and I just love the vibe there! As an artist, I think you will, too!

For anyone interested, here is a link to a pdf file which shows a grand vision for what the Downtown Development Authority would like to achieve for Bradenton in the future. Keeping in mind of course that this might not all happen, and with this economy what does happen will probably go slowly, but hey any improvement is improvement I always say!

http://bradenton.govoffice.com/vertical/Sites/%7B2D1C3C91-86C5-4ACC-86B6-6CFA76381D46%7D/uploads/%7B9B889A4A-96BA-4CC0-8913-FF4F5F4AC00B%7D.PDF (broken link)

Good luck to you!

Old 01-08-2010, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unocentavo View Post
I lived in Arcadia in the end of the eightys. Moved back to the north for family. I have missed it ever since. I used to go to Bradenton and Sarasota every weekend to play. Now I live in the midwest in north Oklahoma and its ok because of family but I want to one day move to Florida again. I really like it around Sarasota and all the beaches ect. I used to go to the laser light show at bishop and see the manatee. It really has a lot to offer.
Yes, the Bishop Planetarium is wonderful. I haven't been to a show there in awhile, thanks for reminding me of this gem!

Old 01-08-2010, 06:20 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,665,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
That's a nice article! I'd read another blurb about this center opening the other day, but this article is much better, thanks for posting it, Dreamy!

ColorJoy - Like almost anyplace I have ever lived or visited, there is good and bad. Yes, Bradenton has some problems, but it doesn't seem any worse there than anywhere else I've been. And this Village of the arts has done a HUGE amount for the area that it is located in. It is growing by leaps and bounds, and I just love the vibe there! As an artist, I think you will, too!

For anyone interested, here is a link to a pdf file which shows a grand vision for what the Downtown Development Authority would like to achieve for Bradenton in the future. Keeping in mind of course that this might not all happen, and with this economy what does happen will probably go slowly, but hey any improvement is improvement I always say!

http://bradenton.govoffice.com/vertical/Sites/%7B2D1C3C91-86C5-4ACC-86B6-6CFA76381D46%7D/uploads/%7B9B889A4A-96BA-4CC0-8913-FF4F5F4AC00B%7D.PDF (broken link)

Good luck to you!
I do agree that Bradenton isn't nearly as bad as some would have you believe. I've lived in Bradenton and Palmetto for ~15 years now, and never felt that my family's life was in danger, or seen any gangs hanging around. There are bad areas, but that's anywhere.

That being said, The Village of the Arts is in one of those neighborhoods. The village isn't horrible during art walk (I think they have the cops come out and round up the crack whores, drug dealers, and the bums) but the rest of the month it's not the greatest place to be.

My parents have a gallery there, and they go on and on about how cleaned up the area is, but I noticed that they have both started carrying mace on their key chains over the last couple of years!

Old 01-08-2010, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
I do agree that Bradenton isn't nearly as bad as some would have you believe. I've lived in Bradenton and Palmetto for ~15 years now, and never felt that my family's life was in danger, or seen any gangs hanging around. There are bad areas, but that's anywhere.

That being said, The Village of the Arts is in one of those neighborhoods. The village isn't horrible during art walk (I think they have the cops come out and round up the crack whores, drug dealers, and the bums) but the rest of the month it's not the greatest place to be.

My parents have a gallery there, and they go on and on about how cleaned up the area is, but I noticed that they have both started carrying mace on their key chains over the last couple of years!
That is true about that area, the surrounds are run-down. However, according to police, the perception of the area is that people believe it is worse than it actually is for crime. Another thing also, is I expect that neighborhood to start coming up even more real soon, since it is so near McKechnie Field, where there will be a lot of activity due to the new minor league team coming in. Skunk Workz, have you heard any more about the new artist lofts that were supposed to be built on 14th St. across from Chandlers? I read about that several months ago, but haven't heard anything since. It sounded like a nice project that could really kick-start that area.

Old 01-10-2010, 11:27 AM

184 posts, read 448,023 times
This is interesting. Are there any other areas that have this kind of artistic vibe to them in the area or in Florida for that matter? Definitely on my list of places to check out.

Old 01-10-2010, 12:01 PM

31 posts, read 62,863 times
What are the main differences between Sarasota and Bradenton? What are the differences in the schools? I am still going to open a salon when we get moved and settled. Which place is better for that? My husband is a Respiratory Therapist so it doesn't matter to him.

Old 01-11-2010, 08:23 AM

4,896 posts, read 14,142,093 times
Very nice article re: Village of the Arts in SRQ's January edition. I'll have to check it out once weather gets warmer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area