Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 09:27 AM

177 posts, read 257,525 times

Advertisements

btw/are you asking because you would like to move there.Everything is so clean and new and a new shopping mall is being built.If you like the beach,that is quite a way off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 11:39 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,261,014 times
We moved here after doing our research and found a hurricane hasnt hit here in 25 years. However, thats not the reason to move to a certain area. This area like all areas in Florida, could very easily be the target of a deadly hurricane. You need to follow the same precautions no matter how far inland you decide to move. You need to keep your hurricane supplies in tact just in case. As New England mentioned, hurricanes are VERY unpredictable. We have a bin of non perishable foods, flashlights, hurricane lanterns, candles, cases of water, and gallons of water. You should also keep a cooler on hand.. Dont let the hurricanes freak you out, as long as you are prepared you have little to worry about..

Old 03-22-2008, 05:12 PM

3 posts, read 11,337 times
Default Hurricanes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by morganjazmine View Post
Hi, I am new to this site.......I have searched for this question but have not found an answer.
My family and I are relocating to the Bradenton area (Lakewood Ranch). Has anyone lived there or heard......are there hurricanes that go through that area that we should be concerned about? I was told they do not go through there very often do to the "hook" on the cost side that makes a smaller chance of them hitting that area? True or false? Thanks!!
I suppose anything is possible; however, my husband and I have looked forward to every hurricane season since we moved here nine years ago and have been disappointed each year. There is usually a bit of wind and some rain. One time, while living in Sarasota, our table umbrella flew over our apartment building and landed on the other side of the building. [Aside: I think it hailed that year as well.] Another time, while living on BradentonBeach, I slept through a tropical storm. The beach was one block away from our house. The roof of one of the hotels on the island was ripped off. We didn't even know until the landlord called us from NY to let us know.

Of course as I type this, I realize that this year could be the big year.

I wouldn't worry too much. Get the supplies and follow the hurricane prep. guide and things should be fine. We still do not have any boards for our windows. Perhaps that indicates something, perhaps something about us. Either way we are not too worried (see below).

Legend: Google the John Ringling legend re: hurricanes and choosing his mansion. It seems plausible.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:24 AM

20 posts, read 55,107 times
My family moved here in 1958. I currently live close to Lakewood Ranch and it is a great area for families. Lots of amenities, has it's own Main Street with movie theatres.
As for Hurricanes, 2004 was historic. The only hit we have received was Donna a catatory 4 (I think) in 1960. She went ashore in Ft. Myers and bumped along the coast up to Tampa and crossed the state. I was little but remember thinking of Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz while the winds where howling. But, we survived! It is said that Tampa Bay helps our area avoid direct hits... don't understand why, but the shape of the land. A bit like Jacksonville being tucked in and the hurricanes hitting the point north close to Hilton Head.. We just huncker' down. As they say in the island, if your house gets broke, we just fix it! A price we pay for living in paradise ;-)

Old 04-01-2009, 09:19 PM

1 posts, read 3,654 times
oo yea Bradenton is way over due for one the last one was donna 1959 maybe hurricane grace will hit us at a cat 5 and bring back the building industry for all the starving carpenters,superintendents and project managers who are out of work hang in there GRACE is comming!!!!! i do not want anyone to be hurt just blow down all the structures and wash it out to sea

Old 09-08-2010, 05:56 PM

1 posts, read 2,954 times
so... i have a question too! i bought a used vehicle here in texas where i live... i purchased it at an auction and after further inspection noticed a good bit of hidden rusting on the inside and out. first off i have heard that can be normal for vehicles kept near the coast... is that true? secondly... this vehicles last owner was from bradenton florida... have you all had any flooding in the past 5 years that would have caused that kind of rusting? any thoughts on the matter would be amazing!!!

Old 09-10-2010, 07:30 PM

2 posts, read 9,236 times
We have lived in Bradenton for 30 years and knock on wood never had one close. Once in the 90's a no name storm came thru and did minor damage to the cage on the pool. I have never taped a window .

Old 09-11-2010, 08:41 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,688,493 times
if you google something like Hurricane Tracks + Florida. you should ev eventually find a website that can show you the track of all hurricane and tropical storms that have gone through florida going back decades. I used to have the link but now that I'm living here I deleted it

Old 09-09-2017, 04:11 PM

1 posts, read 832 times
Default hurricanes? Beaches?

If you move here to not see a hurricane (big storm) YOU WILL eventually, as for a beach in Sarasota? money has been collected for years for re nourishment of the beaches yet the beaches are very narrow from what they once were about 10 years ago (not much left) The beaches need major work to replace the beaches that are gone and after tomorrow will probably not exist due to surge and pounding of the waves.
I am wondering with the surge and all the rain water what will come of new sink holes and where they will open up....
Good Luck Everyone...we are making history here in Florida....again

Old 09-13-2017, 08:02 AM

85 posts, read 56,738 times
Hurricanes could get more prevalent. I am not sure about how much to play climate change has to do with this if any. I am not a denier nor a kool aid drinker. But these storms seem to be getting more frequent. This is a first that two major storms hit this close together and we are not through season by two months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area