Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 12:13 PM

21 posts, read 105,666 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am new to this site.......I have searched for this question but have not found an answer.
My family and I are relocating to the Bradenton area (Lakewood Ranch). Has anyone lived there or heard......are there hurricanes that go through that area that we should be concerned about? I was told they do not go through there very often do to the "hook" on the cost side that makes a smaller chance of them hitting that area? True or false? Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2008, 12:25 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,238,078 times
A hurricane can go through any part of FL. I live in Bradenton. I have a generator & 6 gas cans, a "hurricane stash" of non-perishable food and bottled water. Have I had to use them? No. Will I ever pretend that I am not at risk? No.

During the 2004 Hurricane season I sat in my house in North Port while the town just south of me was demolished by Charley. Everyone said "Charley is going to Tampa". Hurricanes go where they go with little regard for the TV weathermen. I had some damage, but nothing serious. I had a bunch of friends/co-workers who took major damage, some losing everything they owned. I got lucky. People across the road from me had no electricity for 10 days. Mine never went out.

People used to think that being inland was going to be enough. Much of the middle of the state got hammered in 2004.

So to answer your question, Bradenton has not had "the big one" but that doesn't mean the next one won't be it. Statistics only tell you where they have taken hits before and can not tell you where future storms will go. You should be concerned, get educated, and prepare for every hurricane.

Old 02-24-2008, 12:31 PM

Thank you very much!

Old 03-06-2008, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey View Post
A hurricane can go through any part of FL. I live in Bradenton. I have a generator & 6 gas cans, a "hurricane stash" of non-perishable food and bottled water. Have I had to use them? No. Will I ever pretend that I am not at risk? No.

During the 2004 Hurricane season I sat in my house in North Port while the town just south of me was demolished by Charley. Everyone said "Charley is going to Tampa". Hurricanes go where they go with little regard for the TV weathermen. I had some damage, but nothing serious. I had a bunch of friends/co-workers who took major damage, some losing everything they owned. I got lucky. People across the road from me had no electricity for 10 days. Mine never went out.

People used to think that being inland was going to be enough. Much of the middle of the state got hammered in 2004.

So to answer your question, Bradenton has not had "the big one" but that doesn't mean the next one won't be it. Statistics only tell you where they have taken hits before and can not tell you where future storms will go. You should be concerned, get educated, and prepare for every hurricane.
Thanks...I appreciate your responce. I will deffinetly need to be educated in this area......not familiar with Hurricane's AT ALL!

Old 03-06-2008, 07:50 AM

331 posts, read 1,545,135 times
I've heard from the old-timers that there's an indian legend about how Anna Maria island is a sacred place that will never have to endure a direct hit. Supposedly because there's a vortex point some 20 miles into the gulf. So any hurricane destined for Bradenton will switch its path at this point and head towards Tampa bay area instead. It does sound a bit like a crafty real estate speculator's talk. Nevertheless Bradenton is yet to be hit, so there might be some truth to that story.

Old 03-06-2008, 08:01 AM

4,896 posts, read 14,142,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outsider1 View Post
I've heard from the old-timers that there's an indian legend about how Anna Maria island is a sacred place that will never have to endure a direct hit. Supposedly because there's a vortex point some 20 miles into the gulf. So any hurricane destined for Bradenton will switch its path at this point and head towards Tampa bay area instead. It does sound a bit like a crafty real estate speculator's talk. Nevertheless Bradenton is yet to be hit, so there might be some truth to that story.
Wow...I just got a shiver when I read this comment, because if it wasn't already posted, I was going to explain it! Having lived on AMI from 1992 to 2006, we have had hurricanes split right at the sarasota/manatee county border between LBK and AMI, half have gone back south & the other half north to Tampa....still getting shivers on this one, we have had to evacuate the island a number of times during 2004 and 2005, but inland areas have taken much more water and suffered worse than coastal Bradenton...

Old 03-06-2008, 04:45 PM

17,536 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outsider1 View Post
Well, that's a nice little bit of folklore, but I agree that it's more like some crafty "realtor-speak." Frankly I think it's just the luck of the draw - any place in Florida is vulnerable, plain and simple, even inland and for that matter all the way up the Atlantic coast and all over the Gulf Coast - this covers a lot of states. Back in 2004 when all those hurricanes were coming back to back even ASHEVILLE, NORTH CAROLINA experience high damage and flooding from those storms!

Just take the advice of the wise poster (Evey) in this thread who said to be prepared with your supplies and evacuate well ahead of time. You just never know.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:04 PM

177 posts, read 257,718 times
Lakewood Ranch is said to be very nice! Good luck with your new home.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:13 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New England Yankee View Post
Lakewood Ranch is said to be very nice! Good luck with your new home.
Ever live in Florida?

Old 03-08-2008, 09:21 AM

177 posts, read 257,718 times
YES! I have. I have a home there right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area