Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 05:02 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,192,327 times

Advertisements

I agree with you about most of your list, but there is a Books A Million and Hobby Lobby in Venice, both on Rte 41.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2017, 05:16 PM

4,539 posts, read 3,760,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macrodome2 View Post
I agree with you about most of your list, but there is a Books A Million and Hobby Lobby in Venice, both on Rte 41.
The Hobby Lobby is in North Port, but there is a Joann's, Target, Staples, Tuesday Morning, and Home Goods which is part of the TJ Maxx/Marshall chain in Venice.

I head to Sarasota to find stores not in the Venice area and the occaisional 40 minute trip is fine with me. Shopping isn't high on my priorities, if it was, I'd be living in the Sarasota area.

Old 01-31-2017, 06:58 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,192,327 times
When we moved here in 2013 I thought I saw a Hobby Lobby on Rte 41 in the same shopping center as Home Goods just north of Venice Ave. Did they close it?

Old 02-01-2017, 08:42 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,507,636 times
Well - I guess I was wrong - there are big box stores in Venice - just not the ones I go to - its not a big trip to Sarasota so I guess it is no big deal

Old 02-02-2017, 09:32 AM

1 posts, read 779 times
I am also looking to relocate from NYC. Where my taxes r 3,000. Hoa fee is 252 plus any upgrades fees w a pool not much else.

My husband is a retired musician ( if there's such a thing) and I am a teacher w/o pension on a fixed income.
I'm not fond of icy cold weather & he is reticent about hot sticky weather. But I have wanted tgt fl we love swimming & the beach. Outdoor activities & social gatherings r important to us. Good healthcare and access to social services if needed.
We're looking for a safe area with pool tennis trails low hoa fees. Good reserve. 3/2. For 200,000. What is out there. Or am I dreaming?

Old 02-02-2017, 10:27 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,507,636 times
Gaunus - North Port would be good for you if you want a nice house

Old 02-02-2017, 11:03 AM

4,622 posts, read 7,547,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy in Nokomis View Post
Gaunus - North Port would be good for you if you want a nice house
Even North Port is becoming more expensive as people who cannot afford to buy in Sarasota look southward. $200,000 for a 3/2 in North Port may still be possible, but not so easy to find a 3/2 in a community with pool and tennis.

They are more likely to find something like that between Tampa and Lakeland, a number of new construction communities with amenities are going in east of Tampa in that price range.

However, keep in mind that the more amenities you want in a community, the higher the HOA fees tend to be.

Old 02-06-2017, 11:46 AM

3 posts, read 2,396 times
Real estate agent here...

eknoth - Venice may be a good option for you. I just searched the MLS for single family homes in Venice that are in neighborhoods with community pools and there are currently 63 on the market with taxes less than $3,000.

gaunus - North Port is probably your best option, like Nancy in Nokomis said. Port Charlotte is another option, those are the two areas around here where you can still get a fairly nice home for $200,000.

Old 02-06-2017, 01:42 PM

4,622 posts, read 7,547,288 times
Regarding property taxes:

Property taxes can be confusing for buyers moving here from out of state. In FL we have the homestead exemption that reduces the assessed value of a qualifying, owner occupied residential property by up to $25,000 -- and if the property has an assessed value of more than $50,000 there is now an additional $25,000 exemption on all non-school ad valorem taxes. So if you have a home worth $150,000 the property taxes will be based on $100,000 of value if you qualified for and obtained a homestead exemption before the start of the tax year.

In FL we also have the Save Our Homes cap. If you have qualified for the homestead exemption, the value of your home for tax purposes is capped at 3% per year, regardless of the appreciation of home values in the neighborhood.

Prospective buyers need to be aware that while you can look at homes in a specific price range to get an idea of what to expect for property taxes, a buyer should not rely on the seller's current property taxes as staying the same in the year following your purchase. A sale triggers a reassessment of the property -- if the new assessed value is higher, the taxes will go up. Property taxes will typically go up the most if the property has had a Homestead Exemption for a number of years under the current homeowner.

If you plan to owner occupy the home as your main residence you will have to file for your own Homestead Exemption for that property after the purchase as the old one expires at the end of the year after the sale.

Old 02-07-2017, 03:21 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,841,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Rules View Post
Regarding property taxes:

Property taxes can be confusing for buyers moving here from out of state. In FL we have the homestead exemption that reduces the assessed value of a qualifying, owner occupied residential property by up to $25,000 -- and if the property has an assessed value of more than $50,000 there is now an additional $25,000 exemption on all non-school ad valorem taxes. So if you have a home worth $150,000 the property taxes will be based on $100,000 of value if you qualified for and obtained a homestead exemption before the start of the tax year.

In FL we also have the Save Our Homes cap. If you have qualified for the homestead exemption, the value of your home for tax purposes is capped at 3% per year, regardless of the appreciation of home values in the neighborhood.

Prospective buyers need to be aware that while you can look at homes in a specific price range to get an idea of what to expect for property taxes, a buyer should not rely on the seller's current property taxes as staying the same in the year following your purchase. A sale triggers a reassessment of the property -- if the new assessed value is higher, the taxes will go up. Property taxes will typically go up the most if the property has had a Homestead Exemption for a number of years under the current homeowner.

If you plan to owner occupy the home as your main residence you will have to file for your own Homestead Exemption for that property after the purchase as the old one expires at the end of the year after the sale.
Good to know!
Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area