Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 11:42 AM

20 posts, read 26,607 times

Advertisements

We are looking at relocating to Sarasota from the northeast. We have some family in the area, so are generally familiar with neighborhoods. But we don't know anyone who has gone to school in Sarasota, so we're trying to do some research.

Having spent a lot of time on the MLS and this forum, we are drawn to various neighborhoods west of 75. Our budget is healthy (up to $1m) and we'd like to do public schools. Elementary schools seem like no-brainers, because the houses/neighborhoods we like all seem to be in well rated districts (Southside, Phillipi Shores, Ashton). We get more confused for HS. The houses we like in the MLS are consistently either in Sarasota High or Riverview High. Riverview High has a very high great schools rating (9) and Florida grade (A) while Sarasota High only gets a 6 and a B grade. But i know that a few of the high end neighborhoods feed into Sarasota High (like west of the trail), so i'm wondering if this is a better school than the numbers convey? Like maybe there are competitive schools-with-schools at SHS? fwiw, we're a pretty academic family so we're looking for a solid school pyramid. At the same time, we don't want to be in a school that is crazy competitive (not sure if that's an issue in Sarasota; we're in the NE where schools are bloodsports.....)

So basically just wondering if you all can shed some light on these two schools, providing some info that doesn't necessarily come across on paper or in test scores. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2020, 09:00 AM

1 posts, read 1,122 times
Default Hoping to find out what you decided

We are in the same situation, coming from the Northeast as well. We currently live in PA, and we are surrounded by very good public schools. I've not heard many good things about the public schools in Florida, so I'm concerned. When we move, my daughter will be in 8th grade, so relocating to an area with a great high school is our focus. We're not opposed to private school if necessary, but I really believe in the public school systems for a variety of reasons- not to mention, we'd like to save the that money for college. Where did you end up settling, and are you happy with your choice? Thanks!

Old 01-22-2020, 09:17 AM

25,711 posts, read 12,786,330 times
I hear a lot of good things from students and parents about Venice High School, in Southern Sarasota County. The campus looks very nice, and they have great sports teams if that is any interest. I know they have a lot of the College prep and credit classes. It's in a very nice area, and is ~3 miles from the beach. I'm pretty sure its highly rated, if not 5 stars, then 4.

Old 01-24-2020, 07:34 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,500,550 times
The upper middle class around here send their children to private schools - like Out of Door Academy, Cardinal Mooney Catholic, etc.
or
buy their way into Pine View if their kid is not gifted

Old 01-26-2020, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy in Nokomis View Post
The upper middle class around here send their children to private schools - like Out of Door Academy, Cardinal Mooney Catholic, etc.
or
i ould think if you buy your kid into a gifted school and they are not actually gifted, they'd flunk out quickly...no?

Old 06-01-2020, 09:30 AM

7 posts, read 6,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy in Nokomis View Post
or
what does it mean "buy their way..."?

Old 08-26-2020, 11:15 AM

20 posts, read 34,138 times
Hello! We are new to the forum. Just curious about your thoughts on Venice High school. We are coming in from out of state and our son will be entering 9th grade at the time of our move to the Venice area. He's not really into sports and I know Venice High school has a good reputation for sports. He's more into music, plays the guitar, aviation, hands-on type kid. We are just concerned about how accepting the kids typically are to new kids (friendly, accepting, welcoming?) from out of state? Are the guidance counselors helpful with helping kids transition? Any information would be great and I apologize if this has been asked before. Thank you!

Old 08-26-2020, 01:19 PM

If I had a 9th grader still at home (mine's off to college now), I'd want him to attend Venice High School over any other in this forum area. Pine View, if he was academically gifted. IMG Academy, if he was athletically gifted.

Our Son only has the gift of gab

I base this off of all the comments I've heard here for 2 years from students and parents. I have never heard anything but positive comments about Venice H.S..

Old 08-29-2020, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Simona View Post
what does it mean "buy their way..."?
You have to test to a certain I.Q. number to get into Pine View - you can pay someone money to find an I.Q. test that is accepted and that their child can test good enough on

Old 08-29-2020, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie9778 View Post
Hello! We are new to the forum. Just curious about your thoughts on Venice High school. We are coming in from out of state and our son will be entering 9th grade at the time of our move to the Venice area. He's not really into sports and I know Venice High school has a good reputation for sports. He's more into music, plays the guitar, aviation, hands-on type kid. We are just concerned about how accepting the kids typically are to new kids (friendly, accepting, welcoming?) from out of state? Are the guidance counselors helpful with helping kids transition? Any information would be great and I apologize if this has been asked before. Thank you!
I have heard it is a "jock" school but not sure it that is true - they seem to play a heavy emphasis on sports though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area