Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 10:49 AM

704 posts, read 771,995 times

Advertisements

I find this thread laughable. If you are in retail be it restaurant or store you need to realize that regardless of how someone is dressed has absolutely nothing to do with their financial standing and their money spends just as well as anyone else. They should be treated as well as the guy wearing the $5K suit because you just never know. Stanley Marcus founder of Neiman Marcus would most definitely tell you that and back it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2017, 11:18 AM

4,896 posts, read 14,142,093 times
Old money does not advertise nor does it beg for attention.

Old 07-28-2017, 11:32 AM

45 posts, read 46,435 times
Old money, new money or no money has nothing to do with education, class, or common sense.

No one should make assumptions about someone's financial "standing". A fool can be a rich one, or a poor one, but
they are both foolish.

A person doesn't have to dress like a bum, even if they think they can, because they might have old money, or new money or limited resources. The facts are that individuals with limited resources are NOT the "fools" showing up in an upscale restaurant looking like hell in the first place. People with limited resources or money ARE NOT the ones eating at the Ritz, Sophies for lunch, or the Beach Bistro for instance only. These limited resourced people already know better. Those aren't the fools showing up wearing shorts, ballcaps, yoga pants, flip flops and running shoes . LOL.

Someone's "financial standing" is non sequitur. Someone's sense of appropriateness and respect is always at issue. Having "money" is never a substitute for common sense. Flaunting common sense does show a lack of character however - despite someone's "financial standing".

Fools will just be fools. Lazy people are demonstrably lazy.

Old 07-28-2017, 11:44 AM

704 posts, read 771,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancineZ View Post
Old money, new money or no money has nothing to do with education, class, or common sense.

No one should make assumptions about someone's financial "standing". A fool can be a rich one, or a poor one, but
they are both foolish.

A person doesn't have to dress like a bum, even if they think they can, because they might have old money, or new money or limited resources. The facts are that individuals with limited resources are NOT the "fools" showing up in an upscale restaurant looking like hell in the first place. People with limited resources or money ARE NOT the ones eating at the Ritz, Sophies for lunch, or the Beach Bistro for instance only. These limited resourced people already know better. Those aren't the fools showing up wearing shorts, ballcaps, yoga pants, flip flops and running shoes . LOL.

Someone's "financial standing" is non sequitur. Someone's sense of appropriateness and respect is always at issue. Having "money" is never a substitute for common sense. Flaunting common sense does show a lack of character however - despite someone's "financial standing".

Fools will just be fools. Lazy people are demonstrably lazy.
OMG. You are truly a piece of work.

Old 07-28-2017, 12:07 PM

17,536 posts, read 39,141,385 times
To the OP - yes, a nice sport jacket and nice long sleeve shirts would be all he needs for fall. My husband enjoys wearing his jacket almost anywhere we go, even casual, and he even wears it sometimes in the summer if he is going to be inside the AC.

As far as dressing up goes, I myself prefer dressing up more than the average person here, but it really depends on where one goes as to what you will see as far as dress. Honestly, I am really shocked at what I see sometimes in really nice upscale places; but frankly a LOT of the really shabby dressers (shorts, tee shirts, etc) are tourists. Not all, but many. Whenever I go to any event at the Ringling Museum no matter how casual, overall the crowd is very dressed up. So it really depends.

Just be prepared to see a large mix of styles. A nice sport jacket is never out of place.

Old 07-30-2017, 08:36 AM

19 posts, read 18,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
To the OP - yes, a nice sport jacket and nice long sleeve shirts would be all he needs for fall. My husband enjoys wearing his jacket almost anywhere we go, even casual, and he even wears it sometimes in the summer if he is going to be inside the AC.

As far as dressing up goes, I myself prefer dressing up more than the average person here, but it really depends on where one goes as to what you will see as far as dress. Honestly, I am really shocked at what I see sometimes in really nice upscale places; but frankly a LOT of the really shabby dressers (shorts, tee shirts, etc) are tourists. Not all, but many. Whenever I go to any event at the Ringling Museum no matter how casual, overall the crowd is very dressed up. So it really depends.

Just be prepared to see a large mix of styles. A nice sport jacket is never out of place.

I , too, am constantly shocked at what men (and women) choose to wear walking in a truly upscale place and even upscale casual places (including some very nice restaurants, and shows). I would submit that most of these violators that I see are actual residents and seasonal residents, not tourists. I see some of the same violators all over town, and have seen them more frequently here over the past, say, 10 years. It's getting worse especially in Manatee County. For example, we go to the nice smaller French restaurant in Lakewood Ranch, which is a nice little place, and I see some of the same bozos coming in with shorts and flipflops on, and we see it at Polo as well. It's pretty odd to us. We've even seen it at almost upscale Capital Grill and decent chains such as Brio (even one of the managers was overheard making a comment about it in the Dining Room). Even some local violators can be seen at places like Libby's. We have attended pretty expensive and definitely upscale concerts/productions at the Van Wezel, and witnessed other boneheads wearing shorts and other beachwear-type clothing.
You're correct, it does really depend. But for some of these boneheads, common sense is absent. This inappropriate trend however started with a huge influx of a certain kind of newcomer who, heretofore would have re-located or retired elsewhere in Florida or the nation such as SC, E TN, N. GA, Destin, Hot Springs, and even Jacksonville. The change is quite noticeable to very long time residents and natives.

Old 08-01-2017, 06:30 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SympaticoLibre View Post
I , too, am constantly shocked at what men (and women) choose to wear walking in a truly upscale place and even upscale casual places (including some very nice restaurants, and shows). I would submit that most of these violators that I see are actual residents and seasonal residents, not tourists. I see some of the same violators all over town, and have seen them more frequently here over the past, say, 10 years. It's getting worse especially in Manatee County. For example, we go to the nice smaller French restaurant in Lakewood Ranch, which is a nice little place, and I see some of the same bozos coming in with shorts and flipflops on, and we see it at Polo as well. It's pretty odd to us. We've even seen it at almost upscale Capital Grill and decent chains such as Brio (even one of the managers was overheard making a comment about it in the Dining Room). Even some local violators can be seen at places like Libby's. We have attended pretty expensive and definitely upscale concerts/productions at the Van Wezel, and witnessed other boneheads wearing shorts and other beachwear-type clothing.
You're correct, it does really depend. But for some of these boneheads, common sense is absent. This inappropriate trend however started with a huge influx of a certain kind of newcomer who, heretofore would have re-located or retired elsewhere in Florida or the nation such as SC, E TN, N. GA, Destin, Hot Springs, and even Jacksonville. The change is quite noticeable to very long time residents and natives.
The dumbing down in dress sense is just another aspect of the dumbing down in general of America--
And has been happening for years--not just in this area of Florida either...
I first really noticed it when we went with our Catholic friend to mass on occasion---
Adults and older teens attending mass in shorts (in Texas, not FL) just seems the bottom rung of dress sense--

We don't really go to "dressy" places--but even w/our low key choices we try to appear "covered", neat, and clean at the least...
and I iron cotton vs just wear it out of the dryer....
Many people we see don't even make that effort...
If I can see your underwear of choice--you really aren't dressed appropriately...

We had people in town this weekend for my grandson's birthday and I was disappointed their dress choices were scrubby at times...but pointing that out would have created negative vibes...

Old 08-01-2017, 07:38 AM

19 posts, read 18,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
The dumbing down in dress sense is just another aspect of the dumbing down in general of America--
And has been happening for years--not just in this area of Florida either...
I first really noticed it when we went with our Catholic friend to mass on occasion---
Adults and older teens attending mass in shorts (in Texas, not FL) just seems the bottom rung of dress sense--

We don't really go to "dressy" places--but even w/our low key choices we try to appear "covered", neat, and clean at the least...
and I iron cotton vs just wear it out of the dryer....
Many people we see don't even make that effort...
If I can see your underwear of choice--you really aren't dressed appropriately...

We had people in town this weekend for my grandson's birthday and I was disappointed their dress choices were scrubby at times...but pointing that out would have created negative vibes...

I understand, but if nothing is mentioned in a proper fashion, we all give tacit approval to bad choices and bad behavior.
I agree with the dress I've seen at Catholic services, but NOT so much at Baptist services. (The difference is dramatic).Years earlier one would never see someone going to services wearing faded jeans, and shorts and sandals - never. I will say that services at a synagogue are not filled with shabby and inappropriate dress that I have witnessed, not at all - not necessarily formal, but definitely not inappropriate...and on High Holy celebrations, most would never dream of attending services dressed in shorts and sandals or running shoes. This shows a great disrespect. The same thing applies if these people walk into a concert, play, special event, or a very nice restaurant....no owner or producer of an event should be disrespected in such a manner. Some people around here should be ashamed of themselves - but they are so impervious to key standards that they have no shame - and the religious services present a whole higher level of disrespect of self, disrespect of others, and disrespect for the institution.

Old 08-01-2017, 11:06 AM

17,536 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SympaticoLibre View Post
I understand, but if nothing is mentioned in a proper fashion, we all give tacit approval to bad choices and bad behavior.
I agree with the dress I've seen at Catholic services, but NOT so much at Baptist services. (The difference is dramatic).Years earlier one would never see someone going to services wearing faded jeans, and shorts and sandals - never. I will say that services at a synagogue are not filled with shabby and inappropriate dress that I have witnessed, not at all - not necessarily formal, but definitely not inappropriate...and on High Holy celebrations, most would never dream of attending services dressed in shorts and sandals or running shoes. This shows a great disrespect. The same thing applies if these people walk into a concert, play, special event, or a very nice restaurant....no owner or producer of an event should be disrespected in such a manner. Some people around here should be ashamed of themselves - but they are so impervious to key standards that they have no shame - and the religious services present a whole higher level of disrespect of self, disrespect of others, and disrespect for the institution.
Are you saying those who attend Catholic services were more well dressed? If so, interesting you should mention that; I am from a Latin culture, grew up in Tampa in an area of mostly Latino, all Catholic. ALL of my relatives and in fact everyone I knew at that time dressed up for EVERY EVENT no matter what it was. And if it was a church event, services or a wedding, you would literally think you were on the red carpet in Hollywood, that is how dressed up everyone got. When my mother passed, my first husband attended the funeral with me and his comment was "wow, all of your relatives look so classy!" lol

It took me a long time after moving to Sarasota to get over the shock of how people dress here. I feel like it has actually improved since then (originally moved in the 1980s.) I remember attending a Broadway show at Van Wezel that first year and I wore a gown, and literally everyone else was wearing a polyester pantsuit, no lie! And I would be downtown or somewhere, dressed up, and strangers would literally say to me "haha, where's the party?"

Oh, well, I know lots of people don't care how they dress or look and that is certainly their prerogative, but I myself like to look nice, even if I am not technically "dressed up." I do see a trend these days around parts of Sarasota for people dressing nicer (at least the women, lol)

Old 08-01-2017, 11:38 AM

45 posts, read 46,435 times
[quote=gypsychic;49038397]l, I know lots of people don't care how they dress or look and that is certainly their prerogative, but I myself like to look nice, even if I am not technically "dressed up." I do see a trend these days around parts of Sarasota for people dressing nicer (at least the women, lol)[/quote]

Agreed for sure. Years earlier most patrons going to the Quay for dinner, dancing, Down Under Bar, Daruma, even Nick's didn't dress like trash. People wouldn't even walk in the BoatHouse looking like junk, even if they just stepped off their boat! Yes, SOME of the women here are dressing nicer for sure particularly around Sarasota, but not so in Venice or most of Manatee County. MOST ALL OF THE MEN STILL LOOK LIKE TRASH no matter where they show up ! and trashy is being kind. Sometimes I see their wives and girlfriends setting forth a decent effort to dress nicely, while their husbands or boyfriends standing next to them look trashy, and have no clue, and worse yet,, they don't care, and it shows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area