Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 11:23 PM

19 posts, read 34,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by icaru View Post
Where would you choose to live in FL, if you were 75, fit, healthy and politically (very?) liberal (and moving from Europe) ?

For various reasons, we have to return to the US and choose somewhere to put down roots in FL (like no state taxes, close to Eastern seaboard, home prices, no winter weather, etc).
Why not move to Illinois, California, New York or Massachusetts? Those are the likely the most liberal minded states where you would probably feel right at home and fit right in. They also will tax you till your broke. Can't imagine a liberal would move to FL just to take advantage of the nice home prices and no income taxes. I was under the impression liberals were all for paying high taxes to fund big government; no?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2017, 12:46 PM

60 posts, read 139,025 times
I'm in North Port, moving to Port Charlotte. Trust me you will find like minded people. There is a group called North Port Democrats

Old 09-15-2017, 08:46 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,687,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chincoteague97 View Post
Why not move to Illinois, California, New York or Massachusetts? Those are the likely the most liberal minded states where you would probably feel right at home and fit right in. They also will tax you till your broke. Can't imagine a liberal would move to FL just to take advantage of the nice home prices and no income taxes. I was under the impression liberals were all for paying high taxes to fund big government; no?
This Liberal lives in MA - pays the high taxes (happily) and also owns property in Florida - where he also pays nice taxes (property) as well as insurance (helping subsidize those rich people on barrier islands), etc.

Since "we liberals" have the scratch, we can move wherever we want. We can even own multiple houses. We can also feel at home if we like.

BTW, MA. falls right in the middle in terms of total state taxation (same as MS, Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas, etc.) - and for that price we have like 98% covered by health care and much more. It's a pretty good deal and one reason I'd never move to Florida. They (the medical and elderly predatory industry there) will KILL you AND charge you a lot for doing so.

No way in this lifetime I would put myself in the hands of those money grubbers down there. That would be a death sentence.

Florida is somewhat OK to visit for the winter, but I wouldn't want to live there. Too dang hot...the savings on taxes ain't worth living indoors.

Old 09-17-2017, 12:46 AM

461 posts, read 555,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
This Liberal lives in MA - pays the high taxes (happily) and also owns property in Florida - where he also pays nice taxes (property) as well as insurance (helping subsidize those rich people on barrier islands), etc.

Since "we liberals" have the scratch, we can move wherever we want. We can even own multiple houses. We can also feel at home if we like.

BTW, MA. falls right in the middle in terms of total state taxation (same as MS, Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas, etc.) - and for that price we have like 98% covered by health care and much more. It's a pretty good deal and one reason I'd never move to Florida. They (the medical and elderly predatory industry there) will KILL you AND charge you a lot for doing so.

No way in this lifetime I would put myself in the hands of those money grubbers down there. That would be a death sentence.

Florida is somewhat OK to visit for the winter, but I wouldn't want to live there. Too dang hot...the savings on taxes ain't worth living indoors.
I'm moving back to MA as soon as possible. I got an offer from someone to live in their place and pay partial rent. Its a better area to get started even if they do have their share of scumbags. FL has a lot more on average and the predatory industry is in charge. You don't want to be at the mercy of any of these people for rentals, for anything. Theres a lot of unethical practices and sad thing is, its all legal in Florida. In MA I don't think they can get away with things as much outside of some slumlords around Boston maybe but even then, they probably cracked down on that even there too now.

I consider myself an agnostic conservative, minimal left wing views but mostly hardcore right. I don't blend in with the Midwest conservatism down here. A lot of them in fact are worse and are more privileged in my eyes. Or lets just say they can afford to put the rose colored glasses on while some of us cannot. They come with enough money and a job from somewhere that's more whitebread like suburban Illinois (not real Chicago). I cant relate to them one bit. They don't speak for me. I am much more of a true believer type and lower educated. I was narrowing down my options either to Arizona or back home to MA. I am going to select MA even despite gun laws being tighter and its more for the other tradeoffs. I would prefer a place like Mesa AZ to St Petersburg though by far. I spent time in Sarasota also. Didn't like it. The area is just too passive on the surface like people don't want to get nothing done but act like total idiots on the road or whatever else comes up. But ya, a guy like me who believed Ron Paul should have won in 2012 doesn't really fit in a place where establishment politics rule. I am the fringe but somehow I do fit Massachusetts better.

Old 09-17-2017, 04:25 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,837,838 times
Punta Gorda area (Charlotte County) is very conservative with a smattering of blue voters.
Sarasota County is purple but the entire local government is Republican.

Last we were told Florida was going to be a swing state and elect Hillary Clinton but nope.
Old people are conservative and fearful and Florida is old and getting older. Which is why it's amazing that Florida voters approved medical marijuana at 71%!
But wait...there's a catch. The two counties I'm between, Charlotte and Sarasota, have both vetoed allowing dispensaries in their county. So sick and dying people have to travel to St. Pete to get legal relief.

I love where I live as long as no one talks politics, once they do it becomes ugly. Why are Trump voters still so angry? They won but continue (like Trump) to bash people who have no power over them. I used to think Midwesterners were nice people, now I know them more it's that they don't talk about their woman-hating, race-hating politics, hiding it under the bedsheets.

There's something bout warm weather states that attracts racists. What's that about? I like warm weather too.

OP: West Palm Beach to Miami is liberal-land but you also have higher crime, higher density, more traffic. I grew up there and will not return even for a visit. I am a centrist who voted for Hillary but that does not affect where I choose to live.

I agree with craigiri: nice to visit Florida in the winter. We're thinking of somewhere else for the majority of the year.
Would be nice it the area was "blue" but that will not be a large factor.

Old 09-17-2017, 05:41 PM

14,956 posts, read 12,166,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post

Wow. I'm glad you don't live here either. So if FL is so bad, why would you deign to spend even a portion of your time here. Your expressed attitude is just what we don't appreciate about too many (fortunately, not all) snowbirds here, ie, clogging up our resources and infrastructures as you "winter"here, even as you look down your nose at the state, the people who live here, and all it has to offer.

So why don't you find a place to snowbird that you believe is worthy of you?

Old 09-17-2017, 06:32 PM

913 posts, read 2,363,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Wow. I'm glad you don't live here either. So if FL is so bad, why would you deign to spend even a portion of your time here. Your expressed attitude is just what we don't appreciate about too many (fortunately, not all) snowbirds here, ie, clogging up our resources and infrastructures as you "winter"here, even as you look down your nose at the state, the people who live here, and all it has to offer.

I get so tired of the idea that only liberal's think they are better than everyone else. That is such bunk. Although I am an liberal, I have friends that are both liberal and conservative. By far, more of my conservative friends live in gated communities and send their kids to private schools. When I talk with them about it, essentially they feel their beliefs are better than others and don't want to associate with others that have different beliefs.

And the idea that only liberals are for bigger government is a fallacy. For example, in the past few days Gov. Scott is now requiring nursing homes and assisted living facilities to have generators and 3 days of fuel. Of course these new regulations will require more government oversight for compliance. Regardless of the tragic reason behind the new regulation, no one would accuse Rick Scott of being a liberal.

Until the past couple of decades liberals had a very strong presence in both major parties.

It was a liberal idea to end slavery.
It was a liberal idea for women's right to vote.
It was a liberal idea for the Pure Food and Drug Act.
It was a liberal idea for restrictions on child labor.

Old 09-17-2017, 06:41 PM

17,326 posts, read 22,081,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenkellywriter View Post
So you don't want to pay state taxes but you voted for Bernie Sanders? lol
No, he voted for Bernie Saunders!

Old 09-17-2017, 07:36 PM

17,539 posts, read 39,160,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post

AMEN!! ^^^

Old 09-17-2017, 07:55 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,192,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
No, he voted for Bernie Saunders!
OK, now that right there cracked me up. Thanks for the laugh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area