Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2020, 07:37 AM

32 posts, read 28,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy in Nokomis View Post
Wow - we do all that stuff ourselves - the trash collector has a great job with the county - we dont tip them

This. I mean if you find a personal *need* to tip all of these paid services that's great...I guess. I don't think anyone I know or in my family that will be tipping the garbage man or the pool boy, or the mailman, or the landscape company, or my auto mechanic, or my uber driver.....maybe the stylist, but everyone has her own sense of what is appropriate and not owed. I won't be baking cookies for the nosey lady next door either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2020, 07:51 AM

I know if I were providing ANY of these services, I certainly wouldn't expect a tip for doing my job, and would not be dismayed, it's my job.

However, giving to Charitable Organizations is another matter. They do the most collective good. No worker wants to looked at through a charitable lens, even when things are less than 100%. We give quite a bit to various service organizations through the year, and let them do THEIR job effectively for the community at large.

All giving is good, but it has to be given and received in good faith. Some people give to make themselves feel pious and righteous, some people give because it's "The Season". I'm more concerned about the other 357/364 days of the year.

There is no hard and fast rule or guide or protocol...nor should there be.

Old 12-05-2020, 08:11 AM

3,375 posts, read 1,970,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahHapner View Post
This. I mean if you find a personal *need* to tip all of these paid services that's great...I guess. I don't think anyone I know or in my family that will be tipping the garbage man or the pool boy, or the mailman, or the landscape company, or my auto mechanic, or my uber driver.....maybe the stylist, but everyone has her own sense of what is appropriate and not owed. I won't be baking cookies for the nosey lady next door either.

"Need" to vs "want" to. Big difference there. You sure did read a lot of stuff in my post that just wasn't there. Different strokes and all that.

I'm not sure how a "nosy neighbor" fits in with this but I think it's always smart to be on good terms with your neighbors and the ones who keep an eye on the neighborhood can be very helpful

Old 12-05-2020, 08:52 AM

@rf

I didn't even address/reference your specific post. I provided a simple opinion - mine only. As for neighbors (off topic really), my reference to a "nosey neighbor" was simply to infer that some people even as close neighbors don't merit consideration for a holiday gratuity...in re the garbage man, the pool boy, or the mailman or the hair stylist aka barber lol. The best "terms" a neighbor can be on is to be courteous and mind their own beeswax...and keep their "eyes" looking out for themselves or call the PO-leece.LOL

Give your money to whomever you wish, asking for some kind of societal/collective guidance seems odd to me. Again, my opinion, not a criticism or edict. That's what you read mostly on the internet.

Old 12-05-2020, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahHapner View Post
@rf

I didn't even address/reference your specific post. I provided a simple opinion - mine only. As for neighbors (off topic really), my reference to a "nosey neighbor" was simply to infer that some people even as close neighbors don't merit consideration for a holiday gratuity...in re the garbage man, the pool boy, or the mailman or the hair stylist aka barber lol. The best "terms" a neighbor can be on is to be courteous and mind their own beeswax...and keep their "eyes" looking out for themselves or call the PO-leece.LOL

Give your money to whomever you wish, asking for some kind of societal/collective guidance seems odd to me. Again, my opinion, not a criticism or edict. That's what you read mostly on the internet.
Thx for your input. New neighborhood, new area of the country for us so I like to fit in. Maybe that's odd to some but I'm fine with that.

Old 12-05-2020, 03:22 PM

4,619 posts, read 7,541,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomd129 View Post
Thx for your input. New neighborhood, new area of the country for us so I like to fit in. Maybe that's odd to some but I'm fine with that.
Pay no attention to "Sarah," this is another new persona by a person that has gone under over 100 names to date on this forum. As fast as the mods take down one persona, the person creates 3 new ones......

Old 12-05-2020, 03:44 PM

469 posts, read 467,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Rules View Post
Pay no attention to "Sarah," this is another new persona by a person that has gone under over 100 names to date on this forum. As fast as the mods take down one persona, the person creates 3 new ones......

I suppose the mods don't have access to IP addresses. Someone higher up at CD needs to block that person.

Old 12-05-2020, 05:30 PM

Thx all! We're loving Florida and the wonderful people of this great state. The welcome we've received has been amazing!

Old 12-07-2020, 05:56 AM

747 posts, read 848,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomd129 View Post
Here's a tough one. Our veterinarian is fantastic and the vet techs who work in the office are so kind and loving to our dogs and I want to do something for them but it seems like their offices get inundated with sweets and other treats.

For the vet we had in Las Vegas, we sent a floral arrangement in the shape of a dog and during a very intense eye operation ordeal, we brought in a few bags of Starbucks drinks and pastries but that wasn't at Christmas time - it was just because of how over and above they had gone in treating our dog who was blind. Any suggestions for a professional office and their staff?
My wife manages a Veterinary hospital, so thats very nice to hear. Coffee, Treats, pizza are always appreciated from what I hear

Old 12-08-2020, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommygphotos View Post
My wife manages a Veterinary hospital, so thats very nice to hear. Coffee, Treats, pizza are always appreciated from what I hear
They have tough jobs and they see a lot of heartbreak.

Just a btw, our new doc told me that the most difficult discussion he has with his patients' owners is about their pets' weight! I'm guilty of having a little bit of excess weight on one of our guys. I took it well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area