Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2021, 01:35 PM

23 posts, read 34,801 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

So pleased to have found this forum.

My husband and I have 2 young children and are researching where to possible move to from Southern California. We have visited Clearwater, Dunedin, St Pete’s and Tampa which we liked but Clearwater was of course very touristy and small and St Pete’s felt quite secluded. Many people have mentioned Sarasota so I was wondering if anyone could give me their views on what it is like for raising a family? We are into the outdoors lifestyle - hiking, beach etc and have two young kids that love sports. We are both from big cities and happy to go smaller but not so small that we feel like there is nothing to do.

Of course everyone’s experience is different but I suppose I’m wondering if it’s a good place to research more for raising a family? Or if it’s mostly for retirees? I’ve heard it’s quite an artsy town so I’m wondering if that means there is a fair bit to do and see? We are in our 30’s/40’s and can work remotely but would also like to be within an hour from a big city.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2021, 02:29 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,498,811 times
I think Clearwater is much more exciting than Sarasota -yes - mostly old people in Sarasota compared to Tampa - I know others will disagree with me but this is my experience. We moved here with an 8 and 10 yr old who are now 16 and 18 - I am sure you will find friends and activities for them and they will be fine - but there is a huge older population here.

Old 03-20-2021, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy in Nokomis View Post
I think Clearwater is much more exciting than Sarasota -yes - mostly old people in Sarasota compared to Tampa - I know others will disagree with me but this is my experience. We moved here with an 8 and 10 yr old who are now 16 and 18 - I am sure you will find friends and activities for them and they will be fine - but there is a huge older population here.
Oh really - Clearwater is more exciting! Ok that’s interesting. Thanks very much for your input.

Old 03-21-2021, 05:06 AM

30 posts, read 38,935 times
Moved here 11 years ago. Lived in San Diego for 10 years and never thought we'd fund a place we liked as much. We love Sarsota more than SD now. Sarsota has changed dramatically in the years we've been here. Demographics are much younger now and well suited for families with young kids.
There is so much to do here. It is impossible to get bored. 11 years here and still haven't done it all.
We have an 8 year old. Between the beaches, the circus, Mote aquarium, Selby Gardens, there is always something to do.

Old 03-21-2021, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun n water View Post
Moved here 11 years ago. Lived in San Diego for 10 years and never thought we'd fund a place we liked as much. We love Sarsota more than SD now. Sarsota has changed dramatically in the years we've been here. Demographics are much younger now and well suited for families with young kids.
There is so much to do here. It is impossible to get bored. 11 years here and still haven't done it all.
We have an 8 year old. Between the beaches, the circus, Mote aquarium, Selby Gardens, there is always something to do.
That’s nice to hear. We’re in LA and I wonder if San Diego would be better for a family so it’s interesting that you now prefer Sarasota. How do you find it in the summer months? Is too hot to be outside doing things during the day? I have two boys and where we are gets to 100 degrees in the summer so we’re ok with the heat to some extent but I keep reading that the humidity makes it a lot worse there and that no one does anything during the day outside for about 7-8 months of the year?! Thanks for the response.

Old 03-21-2021, 10:30 AM

61 posts, read 82,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbee View Post
That’s nice to hear. We’re in LA and I wonder if San Diego would be better for a family so it’s interesting that you now prefer Sarasota. How do you find it in the summer months? Is too hot to be outside doing things during the day? I have two boys and where we are gets to 100 degrees in the summer so we’re ok with the heat to some extent but I keep reading that the humidity makes it a lot worse there and that no one does anything during the day outside for about 7-8 months of the year?! Thanks for the response.

I'm a native here in Florida and own property all over the Tampa Bay area. I also lived in LaJolla. CA is not comparable to FL in many ways, which frankly is a good thing. We don't want it to turn into CA either!

CA heat is nothing like tropical heat here in FL - nothing. Yes, the humidity can be brutal...all over Florida mostly without exception. Many people from CA move here, and can't handle it. For those of us who were born in the "tropics" it's not terrible on us.

Contemplating moving out of CA/LA with two boys, Sarasota would not be my first choice. It's getting more and more younger families for sure, but it's getting blasted with early retirees, older retirees and a bit too many east coast types, and an increasing amount of runners out of CA.

Of the many many southern states with cities and towns conducive to true, safe, and affordable FAMILY life for couples with young children, there are a plethora of much better choices, especially for the near future. I would get a broader view of those states, cities and towns thereby not limiting your viable choices.

I'm not a real estate agent eager to tell you "come'on down", or a new transplant who has been here just a few years. I'm a native who sees the changes, the positives and the negatives. Nothing is perfect, but I'm not a cheerleader. There are 49 other states and all that glitters isn't gold when it comes to great family life. The family's needs must come first. There are great cities and towns for children to grow, learn, be SAFE, and prosper. Many of them are certainly not in Florida, a very few of them are of course, but everything is changing these days, and very quickly. Do your own research, do it carefully and objectively, in the interest of well-being for the family, first. I personally have friends, associates and very successful siblings who have moved OUT of Florida for the sake of their childrens' well-being, education, safety and foundational values. Of course that has happened throughout the US. Some of the people/children that are choosing to discover Florida, you would not want your children (or you) to be around (just like CA).

Old 03-21-2021, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLathrup View Post
I'm a native here in Florida and own property all over the Tampa Bay area. I also lived in LaJolla. CA is not comparable to FL in many ways, which frankly is a good thing. We don't want it to turn into CA either!

CA heat is nothing like tropical heat here in FL - nothing. Yes, the humidity can be brutal...all over Florida mostly without exception. Many people from CA move here, and can't handle it. For those of us who were born in the "tropics" it's not terrible on us.

Contemplating moving out of CA/LA with two boys, Sarasota would not be my first choice. It's getting more and more younger families for sure, but it's getting blasted with early retirees, older retirees and a bit too many east coast types, and an increasing amount of runners out of CA.

Of the many many southern states with cities and towns conducive to true, safe, and affordable FAMILY life for couples with young children, there are a plethora of much better choices, especially for the near future. I would get a broader view of those states, cities and towns thereby not limiting your viable choices.

I'm not a real estate agent eager to tell you "come'on down", or a new transplant who has been here just a few years. I'm a native who sees the changes, the positives and the negatives. Nothing is perfect, but I'm not a cheerleader. There are 49 other states and all that glitters isn't gold when it comes to great family life. The family's needs must come first. There are great cities and towns for children to grow, learn, be SAFE, and prosper. Many of them are certainly not in Florida, a very few of them are of course, but everything is changing these days, and very quickly. Do your own research, do it carefully and objectively, in the interest of well-being for the family, first. I personally have friends, associates and very successful siblings who have moved OUT of Florida for the sake of their childrens' well-being, education, safety and foundational values. Of course that has happened throughout the US. Some of the people/children that are choosing to discover Florida, you would not want your children (or you) to be around (just like CA).
Thanks Jim for your detailed response. Of course finding somewhere safe, affordable and enjoyable for our family is the number one priority, and I would hope that Florida is rather different to California! I’m not actually from the US so it’s very interesting exploring other options and ideas of where to live but it’s also extremely difficult as of course researching online only brings so much and I will continue to visit places but even then it’s hard to know where to go to check out. Do you have any suggestions elsewhere in Florida? Where did your friends go to get away from Florida with their families? It’s hard as a foreigner coming from the UK to be willing to go anywhere without a good amount of sunshine! I’ve had my fair share of cold, snow and rain and I would rather steer clear. What would you say the main differences between La Jolla and Sarasota are? I would have thought politics (obviously) and the dry vs humid heat, and cost of living. Anything else I’m missing?

Old 03-21-2021, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Thanks Jim for your detailed response. Of course finding somewhere safe, affordable and enjoyable for our family is the number one priority, and I would hope that Florida is rather different to California! I’m not actually from the US so it’s very interesting exploring other options and ideas of where to live but it’s also extremely difficult as of course researching online only brings so much and I will continue to visit places but even then it’s hard to know where to go to check out. Do you have any suggestions elsewhere in Florida? Where did your friends go to get away from Florida with their families? It’s hard as a foreigner coming from the UK to be willing to go anywhere without a good amount of sunshine! I’ve had my fair share of cold, snow and rain and I would rather steer clear. What would you say the main differences between La Jolla and Sarasota are? I would have thought politics (obviously) and the dry vs humid heat, and cost of living. Anything else I’m missing?
I mean I’m originally from the UK, been in CA 10 years.

Old 03-21-2021, 12:41 PM

25,693 posts, read 12,772,161 times
I think for the vast majority of Californians, the weather anywhere in Florida would be dreadful.

I suggest staying out West....just get out of California.

If you must try it here, wait until the kids are out of school, then come to Florida, and rent a VRBO for 2 months, to see if you can stand it.

Don't even think about buying here, until you try it out for at least 1 month during the Summer, preferably 2 months.

I came from Atlanta, so was used to heat+humidity, but Florida takes it to a whole new level. Basically, for 6 months out of the year, you'll be staying inside here with the air conditioner, from 11 am until dusk. The "feels like" temps can hit or exceed 110 degrees for days on end.

Last edited by beach43ofus; 03-21-2021 at 01:31 PM..

Old 03-21-2021, 12:43 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Hi everyone,

So pleased to have found this forum.

My husband and I have 2 young children and are researching where to possible move to from Southern California. We have visited Clearwater, Dunedin, St Pete’s and Tampa which we liked but Clearwater was of course very touristy and small and St Pete’s felt quite secluded. Many people have mentioned Sarasota so I was wondering if anyone could give me their views on what it is like for raising a family? We are into the outdoors lifestyle - hiking, beach etc and have two young kids that love sports. We are both from big cities and happy to go smaller but not so small that we feel like there is nothing to do.

Of course everyone’s experience is different but I suppose I’m wondering if it’s a good place to research more for raising a family? Or if it’s mostly for retirees? I’ve heard it’s quite an artsy town so I’m wondering if that means there is a fair bit to do and see? We are in our 30’s/40’s and can work remotely but would also like to be within an hour from a big city.

Thanks in advance!
I am a Florida native, born in Tampa, lived many years in Sarasota/Bradenton and relocated with hubby to Lakeland a year ago. We are now in our senior years, and I have to say that the Sarasota area seems very old to us, even though we are old ourselves. Yes there are some families there and good schools; but at the end of the day I think after awhile you would find it boring. Now Lakeland is a very small city in itself; however it is VERY YOUNG, many small colleges with college students and many, many young families with small children. It is a wonderful place to raise a family. While the city itself would probably seem almost rural to you after coming from large cities, the beauty is, that it is located right between Tampa and Orlando; an easy commute to either one. It is also relatively easy to get to either coast for the beaches when you want to visit. It is growing by leaps and bounds, but it still seems to almost "fly under the radar" especially on this forum. If you like outdoor lifestyle, Lakeland is hard to beat. It has many bike trails, more fantastic parks and recreational facilities than any town in Florida I have seen, and so many lakes it feels almost coastal. The topography here is also gently rolling with small "hills", unlike the pancake-flat coastal areas. It is very friendly and welcoming here. And lastly, its nickname is "Swan City" because one of our lakes (Lake Morton) is a swan sanctuary where they are bred. Anyway you might want to give it a look and see what you think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area