Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2021, 05:00 AM

4,896 posts, read 14,147,294 times

Advertisements

I haven't ever seen a Mayflower moving van here...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2021, 07:27 AM

3,833 posts, read 3,351,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
I haven't ever seen a Mayflower moving van here...
Same here lol. I rarely see Mayflower down here.

Old 10-20-2021, 11:14 AM

25,799 posts, read 12,859,717 times
25 years ago, people moved here mostly from Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, & PA, and we had snowbirds from Canada.

Now, its changed. Now, we are getting so many from the Northeast, & even out West like Cali, AZ, CO.

I tend to move every 8 years, & I've been here 3 now, so 5 to go. I'll likely go to another less crowded place within Florida that I'm keeping my on.

The further you get away from an Interstate, the better. By better, I mean less population density...generally speaking.

Old 10-20-2021, 03:36 PM

United Van Lines does a similar press release annually, but they do it only by state, they dont take it down to the city level.

Florida's always at, or near, the top of their net domestic migration figures too.

Such a small % of those moving are using Mayflower & United van lines, the sample size is too small to make any definitive conclusions from.

I read once that mostly the top 20% use van lines now because they've become so costly.

Old 10-20-2021, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
United Van Lines does a similar press release annually, but they do it only by state, they dont take it down to the city level.

Florida's always at, or near, the top of their net domestic migration figures too.

Such a small % of those moving are using Mayflower & United van lines, the sample size is too small to make any definitive conclusions from.

I read once that mostly the top 20% use van lines now because they've become so costly.
We used Bekins when we moved back to FL in 2015. Total cost was almost 15k which included storing the stuff for 2 months!

There was no way we could have moved all that stuff in the house and I wouldn't consider us top 20 percent income level lol.

I also shipped my car down. Was only 600 bucks. Being a v8 and gas, wear and tear it was worth the cost not having to drive and rack up miles.

Old 10-21-2021, 07:08 AM

You got a good deal 6 years ago. Bekins pricing is typically lower than United or Mayflower. I was in that industry, right out of college...then I wised up.

The bottom line is you moved here , as did I, so we both became statistics for the census bureau, & others who compile domestic migration patterns. We just happened to have dodged the United & Mayflower studies.

I didn't use Mayflower of United either...I'm frugal. I used 2 rental trucks. A small truck for my business, & a few personal items to get by with for a few months. Then, months later, a large truck for the rest of it.

Now, 3 years later, we're starting to replace most of it. Our traditional furnishings are just as functional here as they are up North (if you call Atlanta North), but they look odd in most new Florida homes, whose designs call for transitional furnishings. Transitional is what you see in most model homes.

Anyways, the influx of newbies since the covid outbreak has been an amazing phenomenon to behold...a buying frenzy. I'm thinking 5 years from now, we'll be moving elsehere in Florida. Buy new, hold 8 years, then sell...& become a statistic.

Old 10-21-2021, 07:50 AM

564 posts, read 553,235 times
I already sold or am selling all our stuff from up north. We really only brought clothes, some kitchen items & and our Tempurpedic bed.

None of the furniture was the right style for here, it was all dark woods, etc.

After doing the math, it pretty much would have cost us the same amount to move the furniture as it did to buy new stuff and sell the old stuff. Seemed like a no brainer.

Old 10-21-2021, 07:33 PM

Quote:
You got a good deal 6 years ago. Bekins pricing is typically lower than United or Mayflower. I was in that industry, right out of college...then I wised up.

The bottom line is you moved here , as did I, so we both became statistics for the census bureau, & others who compile domestic migration patterns. We just happened to have dodged the United & Mayflower studies.

I didn't use Mayflower of United either...I'm frugal. I used 2 rental trucks. A small truck for my business, & a few personal items to get by with for a few months. Then, months later, a large truck for the rest of it.

Now, 3 years later, we're starting to replace most of it. Our traditional furnishings are just as functional here as they are up North (if you call Atlanta North), but they look odd in most new Florida homes, whose designs call for transitional furnishings. Transitional is what you see in most model homes.

Anyways, the influx of newbies since the covid outbreak has been an amazing phenomenon to behold...a buying frenzy. I'm thinking 5 years from now, we'll be moving elsehere in Florida. Buy new, hold 8 years, then sell...& become a statistic.
I have no complaints about them. Bekins is a franchise up in Stl the crew they hired would good and efficient. We even bought them lunch.

I don't know what to make of it. I try and interact with a lot of people down here and at my business. For all the people who move here I run into a lot that end up moving back up north to where they're from because they just don't like FL or they miss their family or hate the humidity.

At the market where I got my business I run into that a lot. They're down here visiting but used to live here and moved back home, or moved to somewhere not bitter cold but more temperate.

I run into a lot of people who're looking to move out of FL though due to it getting hotter or just too expensive or crowded.

you have some people who moved on a whim before doing research as well.

I really don't care what the typical cookie cutter Florida KB, DR Horton homes have for furniture. Maybe they should focus on doing more quality work instead.

Old 10-22-2021, 05:49 AM

Good point about the over-stuffed UHaul lots. A U-Haul/Penske/Budget truck rental study would be much more accurate than a van lines study. I'd estimate for every van lines move, there are 50 truck rental moves. Heck, even the pod moves outnumber van lines these days.

I see a very small number of foreign nationals down here in Venice land. I've heard Russian/Eastern European spoken a few times, but no Asians at all.

Tourists down here go to the Pier & the 2 restaurants at the base of the pier, & walk downtown along West Venice Ave, & that's about it. There's not much else to see here.

My wife encountered lots of Chinese in Europe, & she said they were extremely rude and aggressive, even physically by walking into other people and pushing them with theri bodies (not hands). Those are CCP'ers.

We'll start seeing a LOT of Canadians, now that their laws allow them to leave again.

Old 10-22-2021, 09:46 AM

91 posts, read 76,968 times
Quote:
We'll start seeing a LOT of Canadians, now that their laws allow them to leave again.
There have never been any laws in Canada that restricted Canadians from leaving. In fact, many of my Canadian friends were in Florida last season. The main reasons fewer Canadians travelled to Florida last year is because of the COVID situation in Florida and also because US laws (not Canadian laws) restricted Canadians from driving across the land border. The US restrictions on land border crossing will be lifted on Nov 8, so there should be more Canadian vehicles in Florida this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area