Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2022, 03:52 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times

Advertisements

Stop talking about DeSantis’s fitness for anything
Not topic of thread
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2022, 04:43 PM

25,732 posts, read 12,808,029 times
If home test kits are readily available, why does this even matter?

My neighbor came up positive yesterday, so I asked him how long he had to wait in line to be tested, and he said he bought a home test at the pharmacy!

I'm guessing pharmacy home tests are not as good as wait-in-line-for-4 hours-tests, but if I get a bad cold, that is the route I'll take.

Old 01-09-2022, 06:36 PM

563 posts, read 551,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Stop talking about DeSantis’s fitness for anything
Not topic of thread
Sorry I will stop derailing about the media also Your thread and not the topic.

Old 01-09-2022, 09:24 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,199,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
If home test kits are readily available, why does this even matter?

My neighbor came up positive yesterday, so I asked him how long he had to wait in line to be tested, and he said he bought a home test at the pharmacy!

I'm guessing pharmacy home tests are not as good as wait-in-line-for-4 hours-tests, but if I get a bad cold, that is the route I'll take.
Have you tried to buy a home test? Your neighbor must have some 'in' to have gotten one. I've been trying everywhere for a month and no one has one. They are not reliable either until you are well in to the infection.

DeSantis is an idiot. He has a wife fighting cancer, her immune system is compromised by undergoing Chemo and he's walking around at news conferences unmasked along with his nut-job Surgeon General all unmasked. I hope his wife is smart enough to stay the hell away from him and his cronies.

I don't care what Party you belong to, his behavior boarders on bizarre and incompetent.

Why are no State run testing facilities open? People are standing in line all day waiting to get tested. Yet he refuses to open State run testing sights.

People care about their families, their parents, their sick family members and try to get tests before going near them. Tests are required in many places. My granddaughter needs a negative test to go back to College.

This insanity needs to stop. I don't know who he thinks he's appealing to. Another thing, I saw that he barely won his election. I think his behavior and lack of leadership has turned so many people off that his chances of winning are slim. He's certainly did nothing to prove leadership.

Old 01-10-2022, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macyny View Post
Have you tried to buy a home test? Your neighbor must have some 'in' to have gotten one. I've been trying everywhere for a month and no one has one. They are not reliable either until you are well in to the infection.

DeSantis is an idiot. He has a wife fighting cancer, her immune system is compromised by undergoing Chemo and he's walking around at news conferences unmasked along with his nut-job Surgeon General all unmasked. I hope his wife is smart enough to stay the hell away from him and his cronies.

I don't care what Party you belong to, his behavior boarders on bizarre and incompetent.

Why are no State run testing facilities open? People are standing in line all day waiting to get tested. Yet he refuses to open State run testing sights.

People care about their families, their parents, their sick family members and try to get tests before going near them. Tests are required in many places. My granddaughter needs a negative test to go back to College.

This insanity needs to stop. I don't know who he thinks he's appealing to. Another thing, I saw that he barely won his election. I think his behavior and lack of leadership has turned so many people off that his chances of winning are slim. He's certainly did nothing to prove leadership.
In our area of Southern Sarasota county Florida, home test kits are readily available in corner CVS and Walgreens...no shortages. My friend went to the closest one, they had a full shelf of them, so he bought 1.

His wife returned a day later so she'd have a test kit for herself before she ventured out into public, and she had no problems finding 1 either at teh same place. Each kit has 2 test swabs, & they cost $25.00

The reason for the long lines at the Hundreds of wide open state test sites here is the documentation they provide to employers, and universities. Employers requiring the docs, and are causing the long lines.

Employers are requiring the tests AND state docs because the gov't is requiring large employers, & state universities to comply to new laws which are being contested right now in the courts.

Yet another gov't induced calamity.

Forcing employers and employees, and teachers and students, and health care workers to obtain state issued tests and proof docs over all these people having mild cold symptoms is beyond insanity.

Old 01-10-2022, 11:29 PM

My CVS and Walgreens hasn't had any home kits for the past month.
The lines are not Gov't test sites. Desantis has not opened any Gov't test sites. If he had, people wouldn't be waiting for hours trying to get a test.

I'm also in S. Florida.

Old 01-11-2022, 07:11 AM

Quote:
My CVS and Walgreens hasn't had any home kits for the past month.
The lines are not Gov't test sites. Desantis has not opened any Gov't test sites. If he had, people wouldn't be waiting for hours trying to get a test.

I'm also in S. Florida.
The may not be State Gov't test sites, but they are gov't regulated test sites. Even Hospitals are quasi gov't entities. Try to open a new hospital in this forum area to see what I mean.

LabCorp and other "private" entities are so highly regulated, they might as well be State run.

The line between private testing sites and gov't is very faint. They are an extension of the gov't.

Employees and student being forced to be tested for a mild cold is insane. This is gov't created chaos.

Old 01-11-2022, 06:01 PM

Okay, Government testing is not private. That's why people have been standing in lines for over 8 hrs, some sick with fever. Are they crazy to want to get a test? Maybe they live with an elderly person. Maybe they have a child with cancer or worry about visiting their elderly mother or father.

My 88 yr old father lives with us. He is frail but enjoys living here. Our 14 yr old son spends time helping him. Our son also helps our next door neighbor, a well respected 63 yr old Marine Biologist who worked at Mote for most of his adult life. He was diagnosed with a blood cancer (Leukemia). He has been undergoing chemo and our family has been helping him during this difficult time.

Our son comes home from school with a 'mild cold.' There is a known pandemic, Covid which has been going on almost 2 yrs. My instinct is, 'it's only a mild cold.' But,'what if it isn't? What if its Covid?' I don't want my father, my son's grandfather to catch it. I certainly don't want my neighbor exposed to it. He must get tested and isolate from the family and school until the results come back.

You call that 'insane.'

You do realize we have a terrible pandemic going around? Or do you believe it is all made up?

I spoke to a friend in NY. Her daughter, 24 got sick with Covid. Healthy girl, very active, young mother. She was hospitalized Sunday. Wound up with Bronchial pneumonia. Did not see a doctor all week because, Omicron is just like a cold. She collapsed this Sunday and was rushed to the hospital. Couldn't breathe, oxygen levels dangerously low.

Old 01-11-2022, 06:43 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
Quote:
Okay, Government testing is not private. That's why people have been standing in lines for over 8 hrs, some sick with fever. Are they crazy to want to get a test? Maybe they live with an elderly person. Maybe they have a child with cancer or worry about visiting their elderly mother or father.

My 88 yr old father lives with us. He is frail but enjoys living here. Our 14 yr old son spends time helping him. Our son also helps our next door neighbor, a well respected 63 yr old Marine Biologist who worked at Mote for most of his adult life. He was diagnosed with a blood cancer (Leukemia). He has been undergoing chemo and our family has been helping him during this difficult time.

Our son comes home from school with a 'mild cold.' There is a known pandemic, Covid which has been going on almost 2 yrs. My instinct is, 'it's only a mild cold.' But,'what if it isn't? What if its Covid?' I don't want my father, my son's grandfather to catch it. I certainly don't want my neighbor exposed to it. He must get tested and isolate from the family and school until the results come back.

You call that 'insane.'

You do realize we have a terrible pandemic going around? Or do you believe it is all made up?

I spoke to a friend in NY. Her daughter, 24 got sick with Covid. Healthy girl, very active, young mother. She was hospitalized Sunday. Wound up with Bronchial pneumonia. Did not see a doctor all week because, Omicron is just like a cold. She collapsed this Sunday and was rushed to the hospital. Couldn't breathe, oxygen levels dangerously low.
The people you are posting this to change their minds won’t listen
I admire your attitude
Hope your son is ok but testing for Omicrom can take several days to show positive
It doesn’t build up as fast as Delta

Everyone should have an oxygen reader to use if they think they have CoVid
Oxygen deprivation can happen slowly and drop wo you noticing

Old 01-11-2022, 09:09 PM

563 posts, read 551,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
The people you are posting this to change their minds won’t listen
I admire your attitude
What changed and when?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I've been saying that from day #1. Its comon sense. I wear:

3M N-95 mask (I re-use the same 5 masks after disinfecting them upon removal)

over the top of the mask, I wear a portion of panty hose (dual ply) to cover mask gaps

safety glasses that are curved to form to my face

visor to stop droplets from falling in behind my glases

gloves, not latex...too hot, I wear thin rubber front, with cloth backed, garden gloves

I have a method of removal where I don't touch any of the outer surfaces

I spray all of this down w/ a Hydrogen Peroxide mister, then place it all into a small single-use plastic bag

When I return home, I dump it out onto the grass in direct Sunlight, then hang it all out in the Sun to dry

I leave hand sanitizer in my car, and in my garage. I use those before I touch anything else

Once inside, I wash my hands for 30 seconds w/ soap

I believe masks alone are not effective enough, but they are better than nothing. Add the safety glasses, and hat ,or visor to protect your eyes too. The pantyhose layer might be overkill, but I read that it closes the gaps around the mask.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
View detailed profiles of: