Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2022, 07:17 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,402,263 times

Advertisements

My cousin usually meets me every year for a beach day on AMI but this year she's suggested Nokomis because it's not as far for her. I asked her what the parking situation is (I can't walk far) and she doesn't remember because she hasn't been there in 12 years. My questions are:

Is there one main beach or multiple beaches? For example, there are many beaches one could meet on AMI, is it like that on Nokomis too? If there are multiple beaches, where should we go that has food and restrooms?

What is the parking situation at said beach(es)? Do you have to get there at the crack of dawn like on AMI at this time of year? (Actually, we're talking about early April but it's probably still spring break)

Are the beaches wide (again, can't walk far)? I was at Siesta Key once and the beach was soooooo wide.

Wasn't sure where to post this but since Nokomis is in Sarasota County, I chose here! Any help would be appreciated.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2022, 07:44 PM

50 posts, read 24,291 times
Nokomis Beach is very nice. Not very crowded so parking should easy to find. I have always been able to find a parking spot.
Sometimes you have to park across the street but its close. The beach is fairly narrow so its a quick walk to the water. Also. the parking lots are close to the beach. There are also showers and restrooms.

Old 02-23-2022, 06:14 AM

25,729 posts, read 12,800,389 times
This time of year, which is peak snow-bird, if the weather's ideal (like today), I suggest arriving by 10 am to get a good spot nearest the beach & amenities. After 10 am, it tightens up quickly.

It's not just 1 big parking lot though, & it's much easier to park at than AMI. You drive over a narrow bridge, that dead ends into the beach. There's a small parking area right there, but if you turn left, there's more spots on both sides of the road for ~1/3rd mile. Then, it becomes all residential for ~1 mile. Then, you come to the largest parking area, mostly on the right. This is nearest the Venice inlet where you can see boats coming and going, Dolphin, & occasional Manatee. This is the garden spot imho.

local tip: don't park under any large Australian Pines, because that is where the Pelicans roost. Your car will be covered in Pelican droppings by the time you leave

Old 02-23-2022, 07:25 AM

3,374 posts, read 1,966,962 times
This is just our second "season" living on Venice Island and the traffic is just insane up and down 41/Tamiami. We went to Nokomis Beach on Drum Circle Night (a Wednesday) well in advance of sunset and our son (who was visiting) dropped us off and came back about 20 minutes later after finally finding a parking spot. The drum circles are held on Wednesdays and Saturdays so keep that in mind when you're visiting.

Prior to season and the lessening of Covid restrictions from other states and Canada, visiting Nokomis beach was lovely. Parking is close to the beach but be careful of dips and such in the parking lot when walking - I have to be careful with that stuff. I watched large turtles make their way through the brush that separates the parking lot from the beach area - just gorgeous - and the wide open vista from the beach is lovely. There are facilities but I've never used them so I can't speak to that but they're there if needed.

There is the main area where the facilities are which would be a good place to meet up but with the parking situation the way it is, it might be better to meet somewhere else off island and drive just one car to the beach since you can't be sure how far from the meeting spot you'll have to park. The parking lot is gravel so be extra careful walking.

Old 02-23-2022, 11:59 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,733,951 times
Hey, that's my beach

Nokomis Beach has 3 main parking areas, all located to the left of the bridge:
1) right in front of the bridge: As soon as you're at the end of the bridge, you will see sign for 'Nokomis Beach' and a parking lot right in front of you. This is the main beach area where the toilets are. It also has the biggest parking lot but the beach is also the most crowded. I rarely go here during high season. It's a PITA to find parking unless you come at odd hours.

2) If you continue on pass the main beach, just 2-3 mins further, you will see an opening for parking right at the beach to your left and right. I usually go here because it's less crowded.

3) If you continue even further, all the way to the end, you will reach the North Jetty area. There will be plenty of parking here and you can pick your water view (bay or gulf). The bay side has some BBQ grills that public can use for picnic (and there are toilets here too). The water is more calm on the bay side while you sit and watch the boats parade in front of you. If you go late afternoon, there's usually a one man guitar singer show to entertain the sunset watchers.

The drum circle is on the main beach - I won't bother going just to watch them though. They play one beat and one beat only, and it gets old after 5 minutes of listening to them.

After you have a nice day at the beach, I recommend going on a nice leisurely drive on Casey Key to see the nice neighborhood and nice gulf view. The road meanders pass one lane bridge and ends on Rt. 41/ Tamiami Trail and you just turn left from there to continue to Sarasota (if there's where you're heading) or turn right to go back to Nokomis / Venice area.

Old 02-23-2022, 12:23 PM

These are all great tips, thank you so much! I am kind of stressed about it, though. I hate going places where I don't know my way. And I don't know the area at all to pick a place to meet off-island. If it wasn't the busiest time of the year, I'd probably be a little less stressed.

ETA: I'm looking at the google earth view and that's helpful, I can match that up with your directions. Maybe not as stressful as I thought!

Last edited by Avalon08; 02-23-2022 at 12:27 PM.. Reason: added something

Old 02-23-2022, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
Hey, that's my beach

1) right in front of the bridge: As soon as you're at the end of the bridge, you will see sign for 'Nokomis Beach' and a parking lot right in front of you. This is the main beach area where the toilets are. It also has the biggest parking lot but the beach is also the most crowded. I rarely go here during high season. It's a PITA to find parking unless you come at odd hours.

2) If you continue on pass the main beach, just 2-3 mins further, you will see an opening for parking right at the beach to your left and right. I usually go here because it's less crowded.

3) If you continue even further, all the way to the end, you will reach the North Jetty area. There will be plenty of parking here and you can pick your water view (bay or gulf). The bay side has some BBQ grills that public can use for picnic (and there are toilets here too). The water is more calm on the bay side while you sit and watch the boats parade in front of you. If you go late afternoon, there's usually a one man guitar singer show to entertain the sunset watchers.

The drum circle is on the main beach - I won't bother going just to watch them though. They play one beat and one beat only, and it gets old after 5 minutes of listening to them.

After you have a nice day at the beach, I recommend going on a nice leisurely drive on Casey Key to see the nice neighborhood and nice gulf view. The road meanders pass one lane bridge and ends on Rt. 41/ Tamiami Trail and you just turn left from there to continue to Sarasota (if there's where you're heading) or turn right to go back to Nokomis / Venice area.
This is great, I can follow along on google earth to see exactly where you mean. One question, do any of these areas have facilities to get food?

Old 02-23-2022, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
This is great, I can follow along on google earth to see exactly where you mean. One question, do any of these areas have facilities to get food?
Only the main beach has food and I'm not even sure if they sell food all week or weekend only.

Publix is not too far (when you turn onto Laurel Rd, there's a shopping area on the corner of Laurel and Tamiami / Rt. 41, and Publix is in that complex). Just pick up a to-go sandwich from them before your meet up and continue on down Laurel, before you turn right at the bridge and meet up at the main beach. You can meet at the front of the toilet building, nobody will miss that spot

Another easy meet up location is the North Jetty. There's a shack right at the front of the Jetty with benches where you can meet your friend. Again, nobody will miss this spot as it's the first building you see when you hit the end of the road before you either turn right or left to park.

Old 02-23-2022, 01:03 PM

104 posts, read 113,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
Hey, that's my beach

How does Nokomis Beach stack up to the beaches of Anna Maria Island - Coquina Beach, in particular? We are in Bradenton and that has been our go to beach, but tired of fighting the traffic at times (mostly to park at the beach and leaving the island at the end of the day). One thing we have learned is to have a cooler packed with lunch and food for the day. Before that, I experienced the pain of getting lunch at the Publix in Holmes Beach and to come back to Coquina and drive around forever looking for a parking spot. They are currently adding more parking spots, but not sure it will address the demand.

We would drive on occasion to Nokomis if it eliminates or reduces the risk of these issue.

Old 02-23-2022, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP1968 View Post
How does Nokomis Beach stack up to the beaches of Anna Maria Island - Coquina Beach, in particular? We are in Bradenton and that has been our go to beach, but tired of fighting the traffic at times (mostly to park at the beach and leaving the island at the end of the day). One thing we have learned is to have a cooler packed with lunch and food for the day. Before that, I experienced the pain of getting lunch at the Publix in Holmes Beach and to come back to Coquina and drive around forever looking for a parking spot. They are currently adding more parking spots, but not sure it will address the demand.

We would drive on occasion to Nokomis if it eliminates or reduces the risk of these issue.
Here's a picture of the beach near the North Jetty that I took a couple of days ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Questions about Nokomis Beach-nokomis-beach.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area