Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2022, 06:09 PM

25,812 posts, read 12,859,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I wouldn't be surprised to learn that a significant number of those "visitors" you're seeing are people moving permanently to the area. Seems to br that way in our neck of the woods just south of you ( Charlotte county).
That is what my Dentists office says, but I think that was people staying here due to Covid fears.

Now that covid has dissipated, I think they'll go North again...I'm hoping so anyways.

This is the 3rd day in a row I've seen a car carrier loading up cars nearby.

They are leaving...but slowly. I predict by this time next week it will be more noticeable to all of us.

Spring break will be over for 75% of the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2022, 09:00 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,351,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
That is what my Dentists office says, but I think that was people staying here due to Covid fears.

Now that covid has dissipated, I think they'll go North again...I'm hoping so anyways.

They are leaving...but slowly. I predict by this time next week it will be more noticeable to all of us.

I wonder what they're charging now but it's probaby cheaper to tow it. When I moved back to FL in 2015 I had it towed down from St. Louis for $600! 1100 miles less on my car with wear and tear as well.

Old 03-29-2022, 05:14 AM

68 posts, read 83,048 times
We're paying $2400 to move 2 cars 1000 miles but our vehicles will be inside the trailer.

Last edited by pjbrien; 03-29-2022 at 05:55 AM..

Old 03-29-2022, 05:20 AM

68 posts, read 83,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post

As someone who spent a LONG time looking for a rental near LWR.....I think May 1st is the date you'll see the most movement back north. Try as I might, I couldn't find a decent rental for April 1st. Had my choice among many properties for May 1st - I had more than 1 agent tell me that people are staying in Florida longer than they used to.

Old 03-29-2022, 05:51 AM

25,812 posts, read 12,859,717 times
The posting activity has dropped off here significantly. Maybe they are all packing up their cars for the long ride home.

Old 03-29-2022, 07:03 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,633,475 times
Quote:
Welp, so much for the claim that snowbirds are subsidizing full time Florida resident homeowners by paying higher property taxes....

Honestly, I can't see how this would be a valid claim if each property is held jointly by the married couple. Sounds like a loophole someone tore open and jumped through.

Though I suspect people inclined to do this probably get away with it more often than they don't if the two residences are in different states. I doubt the Florida counties check to see if someone applying for a homestead exemption has a residence with a similar tax exemption elsewhere.
When we applied to become florida residents we had to obtain a letter from the state of NJ that stated that we are not eligible for the homestead rebate issued in NJ BEFORE florida would consider us as florida residents.

Old 03-29-2022, 07:42 AM

564 posts, read 553,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
When we applied to become florida residents we had to obtain a letter from the state of NJ that stated that we are not eligible for the homestead rebate issued in NJ BEFORE florida would consider us as florida residents.
They told me the same and I blew it off as my wife is not a resident yet. They ended up calling me and on the phone and giving the homestead exemption to me anyways. I was shocked!

Old 03-29-2022, 08:22 AM

14,958 posts, read 12,170,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
That's good to know. Though I wonder if FL would check if a person from another state applying for a homestead exemption here stated he didn't own a home anywhere else ( but really did, with another homestead exemption on it). I kind of doubt they
would, no real reason to go on that kind of an inter-state goosechase.

Old 03-29-2022, 08:31 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,633,475 times
Quote:
That's good to know. Though I wonder if FL would check if a person from another state applying for a homestead exemption here stated he didn't own a home anywhere else ( but really did, with another homestead exemption on it). I kind of doubt they
would, no real reason to go on that kind of an inter-state goosechase.
Yep, but we all know people that are scamming the system. I remember years ago, Derek Jeter from the Yanks said he was a fla. resident but he got bagged from NY state because he was only in fla. for 2 months for spring training. Cost him millions, but at the same time I wouldn't think NY would chase down someone who owed 184 bucks with the same vigor.

Old 03-29-2022, 07:56 PM

4,539 posts, read 6,808,117 times
I travel back and forth all year long. I stay for longer periods in the winter but generally at least a week every month. As long as the flights are reasonable, why not? There's always something interesting going on in Ft. Lauderdale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area