Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2022, 09:29 AM

3,834 posts, read 3,359,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jensen440 View Post
We own property in Madison, it's very nice, and the inhabitants of Huntsville-Madison are mostly very smart, educated and experienced people, and a lot nicer.

Really I can't compare Manatee-Sarasota to Huntsville - just doesn't work that well...but most of these published comparisons are a bit bogus anyway. North Alabama is a very nice place indeed, but it can get a bit chilly no doubt, but that doesn't stop the desirability. People make the city - and the people here are really nothing to crow about either. Amenities are one thing, but character, ethics weather, and attitudes are another.

I'm a native Southerner and native, your mileage may vary.

I even have good friends that moved OUT of Nashville, to Huntsville, because of the invasion of transplants from the west coast. Nashville has already lost its character. I hope Huntsville doesn't devolve like Manatee-Sarasota-Lee....but we have options for sure.

Nashville you can thank the media for promoting it. People moved there for the entertainment. Basically the hollywood of country music
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2022, 04:09 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,954,536 times
I wish stories like this would just stop…

Old 05-23-2022, 07:43 AM

113 posts, read 90,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I wish stories like this would just stop…
Agreed. The obvious promotion of all of Florida, but especially around here will result in making the area even more miserable, with more miserable, despicable transplants. It is already turning into a traffic jungle - overcrowded schools, obsolete roads/access, water problems/runoff/table, electrical grid failures/updates, and cellular service deficiencies, beach erosions/crowding, Police and Fire staffing issues, Garbage disposal delays, permitting backups, Hospital/EMS issues, Higher Homeowner insurance, out of control vehicle insurance rates, increases in FEMA flood zones, increased property taxes, higher CDD fees to cover developments, Longer wait times for servicing all cars and trucks, miserably longer lines at grocery stores and specialty stores, increased wait times for restaurants even...

This is nothing to herald, brag about, boost or promote, but these marketing pieces continue to the detriment of the environment and QOL.

Be careful what we pray for. This stuff is a longterm losing proposition.

Old 05-23-2022, 12:19 PM

402 posts, read 262,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jensen440 View Post
Agreed. The obvious promotion of all of Florida, but especially around here will result in making the area even more miserable, with more miserable, despicable transplants. It is already turning into a traffic jungle - overcrowded schools, obsolete roads/access, water problems/runoff/table, electrical grid failures/updates, and cellular service deficiencies, beach erosions/crowding, Police and Fire staffing issues, Garbage disposal delays, permitting backups, Hospital/EMS issues, Higher Homeowner insurance, out of control vehicle insurance rates, increases in FEMA flood zones, increased property taxes, higher CDD fees to cover developments, Longer wait times for servicing all cars and trucks, miserably longer lines at grocery stores and specialty stores, increased wait times for restaurants even...

This is nothing to herald, brag about, boost or promote, but these marketing pieces continue to the detriment of the environment and QOL.

Be careful what we pray for. This stuff is a longterm losing proposition.
A couple of points in reaction to the above.

First, I dislike the click-bait promotions too. They paint a false picture of Sarasota as the Floridian version of the Land of Oz. Sarasota is great, but so are 100s of other places. And, great for me may not be great for you. Lists like this assume everyone likes and values the same things. If you like snow boarding, Sarasota is not Colorado.

Second, not everyone who moves here is one of the "miserable, despicable transplants." I am very glad that new restaurants are opening because of transplants who want to start a business here. Korean BBQ is not local and neither is Sushi. I like having the option. We could use an H Mart like the new one in Orlando - but we will not get one without a larger Asian population.

Third, growth is inevitable because of migration caused by federal immigration policies, corporate interests, the decay in large urban cities that are being destroyed by corrupt politicians and bad policy decisions and the ability to work at home. But the rate needs to be planned and managed better - it is currently managed poorly. New housing is too expensive and rents are rising without limit. Developers are not paying their fair share. Where are the workers for new hotels supposed to live? New homes starting at $350,000 at 5.125% are priced beyond reach for most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area