Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2022, 04:18 PM

25,738 posts, read 12,824,670 times

Advertisements

https://realestate.usnews.com/places...gh_to_low=true

This is becoming an annual thing. They do mention our rising housing costs though, which ties into 2 other threads here about median home prices of $500K+, and rising rents.

The other list they release at the same time ranks the top cities in America to live in, and Sarasota took 9th in that one, but listing Huntsville Alabama #1 raised some eyebrows regarding their methodology.

I think we have to look at these lists as entertainment, & not take them too seriously. They have some validity, but I don't suggest that anyone decide to live or retire anywhere, based upon a magazines' ranking.

Its still nicer to be mentioned, than not be mentioned, I'll admit to that. Our real estate sales/rental markets, & our tourist data, do support the idea that our area is popular, & growing...as does the traffic, & restaurant lines during season. There's good and there's bad w/ being a popular place to live, visit, & retire.

Again, please look at this more as entertainment and click-bait than, expert analysis...which it is not.

Our forum's slowing down so much now, I almost didn't take the effort to even post this....these rankings/lists are getting a bit over-played. Forgive me if I wasted your time.

Last edited by beach43ofus; 05-21-2022 at 05:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2022, 04:49 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,344,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post

This is becoming an annual thing. They do mention our rising housing costs though, which ties into 2 other threads here about median home prices of $500K+, and rising rents.

The other list they release at the same time ranks the top cities in America to live in, and Sarasota took 9th in that one, but listing Huntsville Alabama raised some eyebrows regarding their methodology.

I think we have to look at these lists as entertainment, & not take them too seriously. I think they have some validity, but I don't suggest that anyone decide to live or retire anywhere, based upon a magazines' ranking.

Its still nicer to be mentioned, than not be mentioned, I'll admit to that. Our real estate sales/rental markets, & our tourist data, do support the idea that our area is popular, & growing...as does the traffic, & restaurant lines during season. There's good and there's bad w/ being a popular place to live, visit, & retire.

Again, please look at this more as entertainment and click-bait than, expert analysis...which it is not.

Our forum's slowing down so much now, I almost didn't take the effort to even post this....these rankings/lists are getting a bit over-played. Forgive me if I wasted your time.
Doesnt Huntsville have a lot space program stuff? Thise related industry jobs pay well so I'm sure that's a quality of life factor. Huntsville is cold in the winter doesn't seem a place to flock to.

It will be eye opening the median age the next census here. Every county in swfl median age went up once again a couple years ago.

I lived in naples growing up from 91 to 2002 before moving back to Missouri for awhile.

Swfl was of course and older folks hot spot back then too but we still had a lot of us younger people mixed in here.

Now that has totally changed. It's much much older now around here than when I lived here before. I can walk in walmart and be literally the only person under 40 minus the workers.

Whenever i do the hour drive to Naples to see family I'm amazed how much older it is than the 1990s when i was there.

Old 05-21-2022, 05:48 PM

Well, I guess we have all the old people because its a desireable place to retire to. I was in Savannah last week, & the age diff was huge.

Huntsville's very affordable, naturally pretty w/ plush green heavily-forrested rolling hills near the Mountains. The aero industry pays well, & it attracting other techies...from Cali oddly enough. I can't agree w/ it being the #1 city to live in however, due to the weather. I don't think weather was a criteria in this ranking...I need to look again at it.

I'm not sure of SRQ's ranking of #1 place to retire either, but I think it would be some place in FLA, due to Cali's higher taxes & cost-of-living.

I think they ranked cities, & not areas, or Islands. I prefer Southern Sarasota County to the City of Sarasota, but that's just me. I'm not a city person...I prefer the outskirts away from the traffic, high density, crime, & homelessness. However, if I were a top 1%'er, I'd be in a condo in Downtown SRQ, I'd have the entire top floor, w/ private elevator. I could walk to everything, or have stuff brought to me. My yacht would be across the street at Marina Jacks.

Oh well...back to the reality of living in remote Southern Sarasota County where the Turkey's & wild Hogs roam, as a non-top 1%'er. Things could be worse...ranks #1 on my list...for now.

Old 05-21-2022, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Well, I guess we have all the old people because its a desireable place to retire to. I was in Savannah last week, & the age diff was huge.

Huntsville's very affordable, naturally pretty w/ plush green heavily-forrested rolling hills near the Mountains. The aero industry pays well, & it attracting other techies...from Cali oddly enough. I can't agree w/ it being the #1 city to live in however, due to the weather. I don't think weather was a criteria in this ranking...I need to look again at it.

I'm not sure of SRQ's ranking of #1 place to retire either, but I think it would be some place in FLA, due to Cali's higher taxes & cost-of-living.

I think they ranked cities, & not areas, or Islands. I prefer Southern Sarasota County to the City of Sarasota, but that's just me. I'm not a city person...I prefer the outskirts away from the traffic, high density, crime, & homelessness. However, if I were a top 1%'er, I'd be in a condo in Downtown SRQ, I'd have the entire top floor, w/ private elevator. I could walk to everything, or have stuff brought to me. My yacht would be across the street at Marina Jacks.

Oh well...back to the reality of living in remote Southern Sarasota County where the Turkey's & wild Hogs roam, as a non-top 1%'er. Things could be worse...ranks #1 on my list...for now.

If I was a 1 percent I wouldn't live in a high rise condo. having to use the elevator then walk to my car plus the traffic. Actually, I probably wouldn't even live in FL! I'd build a nice house somewhere like southern Missouri on Table Rock Lake or Bull Shoals in northern Arkansas or Southern Missouri since I like fresh water fishing. Winters are not very cold and tolerable and a lot less traffic and more conservative government as well.

Look at this house in Branson Missouri! I'd sure take this view! Plus has an indoor gun range built in too!
https://www.priceypads.com/80m-everg...k-lake-photos/

Old 05-21-2022, 06:52 PM

402 posts, read 261,559 times
Quote:

The other list they release at the same time ranks the top cities in America to live in, and Sarasota took 9th in that one, but listing Huntsville Alabama #1 raised some eyebrows regarding their methodology.

…

Not a waste of time. I admit I didn’t bother to click and the lists are overplayed. However, but for you, I doubt I would have noticed. So thanks.

As to the list, I ignore the actual rankings, but it’s nice to have your opinion confirmed that Sarasota is one of the nicer, better places to live despite the things we complain about. Sorta like capitalism, it ain’t perfect but the alternatives are worse.

Old 05-21-2022, 07:32 PM

9,136 posts, read 6,191,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
Doesnt Huntsville have a lot space program stuff? Thise related industry jobs pay well so I'm sure that's a quality of life factor. Huntsville is cold in the winter doesn't seem a place to flock to..

The coldest month in Huntsville is January with an average high of 50 degrees and an average low of 35 degrees. It rarely snows. With a winter that is not as cold as the northern states, heating bills are less. With summer temps and humidity not as high or as long lasting as the more southern areas, the summer electric cooling bills are less. There are several months that require neither heat nor a/c. Just open the windows.

For people coming from the north, those temps can be appealing especially since Huntsville doesn't get the debilitating humidity that plagues most of the south.

Old 05-21-2022, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
The coldest month in Huntsville is January with an average high of 50 degrees and an average low of 35 degrees. It rarely snows. With a winter that is not as cold as the northern states, heating bills are less. With summer temps and humidity not as high or as long lasting as the more southern areas, the summer electric cooling bills are less. There are several months that require neither heat nor a/c. Just open the windows.

For people coming from the north, those temps can be appealing especially since Huntsville doesn't get the debilitating humidity that plagues most of the south.

Except they get some bad ice storms in Northern AL.

The thing is about the upper south is while it doesn't snow often when it does snow you might get dumped on.

But it's not a retirement mecca.

Just like the Panhandle isn't. Their season is in the summer and winter a lot of businesses scale down, unlike Southwest FL that's far warmer in the winter and draws in old people for the warm winter weather.

Actually Huntsville average low is 33 in the middle of Jan.

Climate (weather.gov)

Actually Huntsville's average high is 92 in the middle of summer at the warmest time. Granted you get cool fronts and high might be only 84 but then you get really hot days near 100 degrees.

Just like in St. Louis. Average high in the summer is only around 90 but you will get days over 100 easily. However cool fronts will bring days only in the low 80s to even it out. Here in SWFL in the summer temps in the summer are pretty much the same everyday since we get no cold front.

Still the weather isn't that bad. Someone from SWFL would think Huntsville is cold in the winter.

Old 05-22-2022, 05:43 AM

One bad thing about a downtown SRQ condo overlooking the Bay/Marina is it faces West, so the pm Sun pounds in the windows...ugh!

You do get the Sunset however, so there's that.

Our SRQ airport is really improving, adding more flights. Our waterways are very nice for boating.

St. Armands Circle is one of the best places I know to have a meal, and walk around shopping, or walk along the beach.

The "farmers market" is a nice people-watching stroll, & just walking around downtown is nice.

The night time views of downtown from the water, & the illuminated bridge is beautiful as your 50' flybridge yacht idles back towards Marina Jacks.

The city is clean...only in a few spots off the beaten path are unsightly....like the North Trail, which will be spectacularly rejuvinated in the future.

Old 05-22-2022, 07:34 AM

1,420 posts, read 755,147 times
I love being retired in Sarasota (county). I wouldn't want to live in the city.

Old 05-22-2022, 08:03 AM

113 posts, read 90,081 times
We own property in Madison, it's very nice, and the inhabitants of Huntsville-Madison are mostly very smart, educated and experienced people, and a lot nicer.

Really I can't compare Manatee-Sarasota to Huntsville - just doesn't work that well...but most of these published comparisons are a bit bogus anyway. North Alabama is a very nice place indeed, but it can get a bit chilly no doubt, but that doesn't stop the desirability. People make the city - and the people here are really nothing to crow about either. Amenities are one thing, but character, ethics weather, and attitudes are another.

I'm a native Southerner and native, your mileage may vary.

I even have good friends that moved OUT of Nashville, to Huntsville, because of the invasion of transplants from the west coast. Nashville has already lost its character. I hope Huntsville doesn't devolve like Manatee-Sarasota-Lee....but we have options for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area