Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2022, 12:01 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,839,259 times

Advertisements

Might be helpful to know places that are open and have gas or groceries or ice as you find out—-

I know that with power out some sewer lift stations are not working
Flush toilets judiciously—maybe even use trash bag in a bucket until you know sewers are powered
Don’t know if water is ok to use now
Haven’t seen anything from Sarasota/Venice info

FPL just saying that trucks are moving into the areas to help with repairing downs lines and other lost services
Barrier Islands likely will need rebuilding infrastructure not just repair so in worse situation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2022, 12:42 PM

25,693 posts, read 12,772,161 times
It looks to me like all the Publix stores and Winn-Dixie stores in & near Venice are closed.

All the way up to Palmer Ranch, all the Publix stores appear to be closed.

Aldi in Nokomis is closed, web site says re-opening 9am Friday 9-30. Obviously, if power isnt restored, it won't open.

Publix web site shows they will re-open 7 am tomorrow, Sept 30th. I've seen massive Caterpiller generators behind Publix stores, but I dont know if they will allow stores to open, or if they just run the coolers to keep food from spoiling.

I entered my address into Florida Power & Light's web site, & all it shows is power off, & there's no projected date, or time to get it back on. It just says we are sorry we cannot provide futher information at this time.

Costco & its gas station in Palmer Ranch are closed.

Has anyone seen any open gas stations?

Old 09-29-2022, 08:23 PM

Publix in Osprey was open people on NextDoor in area said
WaWa was selling gas on 41
Gas station at Clark/Beneva had gas
The Shell on Blackburn Pt/41 was open but not selling gas…maybe it was out
Had to use cash because no credit sales
People said water was high in front of Walmart on 41 preventing anyone in parking lot

Old 10-01-2022, 06:02 AM

4,612 posts, read 7,529,570 times
According to the local news network, the following help will be available this weekend & Monday:

SARASOTA, Fla. (WWSB) - Sarasota County will open four Neighborhood Points of Distribution to county residents who need water, ice, food or tarps due to Hurricane Ian.

The sites will operate Saturday, Oct. 1, Sunday, Oct. 2 and Monday, Oct. 3 from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. at the following locations:

Hyundai of Venice, 200 Jacaranda Blvd., Venice
San Pedro Catholic Church, 14380 Tamiami Tr., North Port
Twin Lakes Park, 6700 Clark Road, Sarasota
Englewood Center Plaza, 200 S. Indiana Ave., Englewood
Recipients should be prepared to show proof of residency.

PS: Thank you loves2read for providing a lot of valuable info and resources the past couple of days. My internet had been down, so am finally able to give you a 2 thumbs up.

Old 10-01-2022, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Rules View Post
According to the local news network, the following help will be available this weekend & Monday:

SARASOTA, Fla. (WWSB) - Sarasota County will open four Neighborhood Points of Distribution to county residents who need water, ice, food or tarps due to Hurricane Ian.

The sites will operate Saturday, Oct. 1, Sunday, Oct. 2 and Monday, Oct. 3 from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. at the following locations:

Hyundai of Venice, 200 Jacaranda Blvd., Venice
San Pedro Catholic Church, 14380 Tamiami Tr., North Port
Twin Lakes Park, 6700 Clark Road, Sarasota
Englewood Center Plaza, 200 S. Indiana Ave., Englewood
Recipients should be prepared to show proof of residency.

PS: Thank you loves2read for providing a lot of valuable info and resources the past couple of days. My internet had been down, so am finally able to give you a 2 thumbs up.
We r on east coast with power and Internet access—-
Least I can do
I know it is difficult locally to get access to news

Hope everyone is starting to get power back
In my neighborhood Sorrento East I think there were 4 trees down on power lines in various areas and at least one transformer taken down
So trees have to be removed and that had not happened yet

Old 10-01-2022, 08:50 AM

Does anyone have any info about the situation in Venice Island across from the beach along Esplanade?
Our SIL has a condo there (2nd floor facing the water) and I don’t even want to ask him about that situation

Forget the name of the Condo but it 200 N Esplande just down from Inn on the Beach

We are still on east coast—no power in Sorrento East

Where is the National Guard???
Where is FEMA disaster relief???
Has anyone seen any Red Cross units out in area???

I know getting down from the north can be problem with Ian passing through central part of the state
Florida roads really suck when the state doesn’t spend money on state roads
But looks like the state disaster mgmt could have prepared better by staging in certain areas

Old 10-01-2022, 08:57 AM

Man in Sorrento East has generator and making ice for others
Fred Lewis
120 1st Avenue Nokomis
941-504-4554

Really being helpful to his neighbors

Old 10-01-2022, 10:13 AM

224 posts, read 186,939 times
Publix has their own generators and the first place to open

Old 10-02-2022, 08:44 AM

4,612 posts, read 7,529,570 times
For those looking for a list of restaurants either open or opening soon in our area:

https://www.heraldtribune.com/story/...st/8135719001/

Plus, three more distribution points for water and food have opened in Sarasota County today per the county. That's 5 total as of now. All will be open as long as supplies last.

Hyundai of Venice, 200 Jacaranda Blvd., Venice.
Twin Lakes Park, 6700 Clark Road, Sarasota.
Venice Community Center, 326 S. Nokomis Ave, Venice.
Englewood Center Plaza, 200 S. Indiana Ave., Englewood.
San Pedro Catholic Church, 14380 Tamiami Trail, North Port

Old 10-04-2022, 08:36 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,732,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Does anyone have any info about the situation in Venice Island across from the beach along Esplanade?
We went to Venice Beach on Sunday evening. The Venice Jetty was closed but the beach was open and the drum circle was there as scheduled. The apartments along the beach that we passed were relatively okay, apart from some downed trees here and there, and minor siding damage to a few of them. Businesses along Venice Ave (the island side) were mostly still closed, probably because the workers were dealing with their own emergencies and couldn't come to work.

Doctors' offices on the other side of Venice Ave were already in operation. We passed a bunch of Nat'l Guard trucks on Venice Ave yesterday when we drove by that area.

Went to UTC mall on Sun morning and the streets going to the mall side were still flooded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area