Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2022, 08:35 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,480,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CafeDeLaMaison View Post
^^^although not directed to me, maybe, just maybe some posters and readers of stuff written on the internet isn't that important in the first place, or informative/accurate or maybe they don't think of posting on the internet as some kind of academic exercise or competition? I mean at least for me, posting footnotes and links , or biblios in some kind of effort to add credibility seems odd to many ? I mean, this is not some kind of think-tank, but that's just me. For me, no one is that important or better informed in the scheme of things. I don't use this internet postings as gospel. That's crazee in my book.

Right, you and others know as much as the experts, scientists, etc., that informed individuals like to cite to counter the unsubstantiated, often inaccurately ridiculous comments/opinions that litter this and other C-D forums.

It's not a competition that motivates my posts. Competing in debate with individuals devoid of intellectual curiosity and integrity is less fun than playing Candyland with five-year-olds, who are at least cute and almost always honest.

Actually, I research issues and post my findings on C-D because at least some individuals are appreciative of my efforts, but greatly because I use C-D as a motivation to develop my own knowledge and opinions on issues of interest. Any feedback helps me understand how my opinions are received and sometimes even influences significant changes in my initial opinions or inspires additional research.

Last edited by WRnative; 10-07-2022 at 08:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2022, 09:09 AM

361 posts, read 260,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post

Any feedback helps me understand how my opinions are received and sometimes even influences significant changes in my initial opinions or inspires additional research.
Reminds me of a HS English class. Teacher assigns "write two pages on subject x". Kids turn in two pages, teacher crosses out over half as verbose.

Try this WR; write a reply, let it sit overnight and then see how much you can trim before posting.

Old 10-07-2022, 01:04 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,480,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf coast jon View Post
Reminds me of a HS English class. Teacher assigns "write two pages on subject x". Kids turn in two pages, teacher crosses out over half as verbose.

Try this WR; write a reply, let it sit overnight and then see how much you can trim before posting.

I'm perfectly happy with my posts.

Why don't you try this? Instead of attempting to denigrate others, post a meaningful, factual post that actually provides meaningful, accurate information to other readers.

Florida, from its leaders to its social media posters, seems captive to a cult that champions ridiculous insults, condescension and hubris, and the spread of deceit divorced from science and reality.

Oh yeah, when forced to debate with persons whose opinions are anchored in reality, these posters also resort to juvenile claims of short attention spans and limited reading comprehension ability, as evidenced in this thread. Scientist bashing is essential to this cult. Even worse, some members of this cult often threaten and champion violence.

Unfortunately for Florida, and America, this cult has done nothing to prevent the mounting toll of climate change on Florida, and actually has played a key role in blocking political action to limit climate change nationally, and therefore globally. Florida consequently is one of the leading victims of this cult.

I wonder if increasing numbers of individuals won't avoid Florida not only because of the onslaught of climate change, but also to escape the influence of this cult on their daily lives.

Last edited by WRnative; 10-07-2022 at 01:13 PM..

Old 10-07-2022, 04:12 PM

25,926 posts, read 12,951,218 times
People will continue to flock to Florida because they know that most climate change is perfectly normal, and they cannot do a darn thing about the Northern states making it worse....like Ohio, with its oil refineries, tire manufacturers, & massive Ethane cracking plants.

That is the environmental train wreck people are trying to escape. Most would take Sugar crops and Phosphate mining over Ethane cracking plants, oil refineries, and tire manufacturing.

Its nice that people who live in the polluting states keep trying to warn us that their actions could inundate us some day, but we are already here in Florida, so posting here is missing their target audience.

Those sky is falling people need to post in states forums like NY, NJ, CT, CA, IL, MI, MA, & OH....where all the people live now, that are considering fleeing to Florida.

Or, they could just post in those states to stop polluting the air so much. Florida has some of the best air in the USA.

Old 10-07-2022, 05:09 PM

224 posts, read 188,448 times
Keep in mind that every state is experiencing population growth. We have over 2 million legal immigrants every single year or an additional 1% of population a year. In 20 years that's a 20% increase. Then we have around 5 million illegals a year. Roughly 3% increase a year. This in 20 years that's 60% more people or about an extra 200 million. Then a small increase from births. This has been going on for years. There's simply no place to go.

The United States takes in more immigrants than any country in the world and any country in history. If you ask for normal immigration policies that resemble the rest of the world or even the United States 50 years ago you are called an extremist. When every country in the world and also in history has a less extreme immigration policy that would mean our current policy is in fact extreme. But you see what they did with trump. Complain about it and lose your job. Vote for a wall and you're a deplorable.

But look at places like south Florida. People can't afford homes because of the growth. Bumper to bumper traffic. Out west they are running out of water. Even states like Ohio where everyone is moving out are experiencing mild population growth due to immigration. Places like port Charlotte our population doubled every 12 years or so

Old 10-07-2022, 05:26 PM

5,591 posts, read 2,321,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1rainman View Post
Keep in mind that every state is experiencing population growth. We have over 2 million legal immigrants every single year or an additional 1% of population a year. In 20 years that's a 20% increase. ...
Only if nobody dies during that 20 year period.

Old 10-07-2022, 05:28 PM

Tucker Carlson did a good show about the hurricane. We have basically the same hurricane activity now as 100 years ago so global warming is not a factor with hurricanes.

Old 10-07-2022, 05:32 PM

In the year 2000 we had about 300 million people. 2020 it's about 320 million to 330. Hard to be accurate with all the illegals. Roughly 10% more people in 20 years. That's actually a lot. In terms of births it roughly evens out. About the same number born as who die which is a low birth rate. White Americans are below replacement levels. More die each year than are born and whites have the highest rates of suicide and drug overdose deaths in the country. Must be all that privilege they get.

Old 10-07-2022, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1rainman View Post
Tucker Carlson did a good show about the hurricane. We have basically the same hurricane activity now as 100 years ago so global warming is not a factor with hurricanes.
Global warming is a farce which is why they had to re-name is climate change.

Man-made climate change is a farce too.

Its a tool of the commie left to control weak-minded nimrods.

Old 10-07-2022, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
Before Ian hit homes were NOT moving around me. Some on the market for 3 months and having price cuts.
off-season, millions less people here...very few potential buyers. Lets see what Q4 2022 vs Q4 2021 says.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area