Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2022, 07:09 AM

91 posts, read 76,756 times

Advertisements

I usually buy cakes and pies at my local Publix because it's convenient. I was driving on Bahia Vista the other day, and stopped into Yoders and picked up a chocolate cake. It was delicious - much better than Publix cakes. I wondered why Yoders cake tasted so good, so I compared the ingredients for similar cakes from Yoders and Publix, as shown below. Conclusion: I'll be buying all my pastries at Yoders in the future.

Yoders German Chocolate Cake:
Flour, water, sugar, canola oil, cocoa, vinegar, vanilla, soda, baking powder, salt, icing sugar, coconut, pecans, butter, egg youlks, vanilla.

Publix Bavarian Chocolate Cake:
Sugar,Cornsyrup,Water,Bleachedenriched Flour (Wheat Flour, Malted Barleyflour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid),Palm Oil,Invert Sugar, Eggs, Soy Oil, Butter(Cream,Natural Flavor),Cocoa Processed W/ Alkali,Vegetable Oil (Palm Oil, Canola Oil, Hydrogenated Cottonseed Oil), Coconut (Preparedwith Sulfites),Water, Nonfat Milk, Pecans,Vegetable Oil(Palm Oil,Mono&Diglycerides,Polysorbate60),Liquid Sucrose(Cane Sugar,Water),Dextrose,Modified Food Starch,Nonfat Dry Milk, Salt, Heavy Whipping Cream(Heavycream,Carrageenan,Mono-Diglycerides,Cellulose Gum, Polysorbate 80), Egg White,Natural Flavor, Agar-Agar,Phosphoric Acid,Fructose, Potassium Sorbate(Preservative),Rapeseed Lecithin, Leavening (Potassiumbicarbonate,Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate,Monocalcium Phosphate), Sweetened Condensedmilk(Milk,Sugar),Foodstarch-Modified,Whey,Mono & Diglycerides, Cornstarch, Chocolateliquor, Cottonseed Oil, Coconut (Coconut,Sugar,Water,Propylene Glycol,Salt,Sodiummetabisulfite {Preservative}),Citric Acid,Polysorbate 60, Soy Lecithin, Cream Powder(Pasteurized Sweet Cream,Skim Milk Solids,Sodium Caseinate), Gums (Cellulose, Guar,Xanthan), Monoglycerides, Sodium Stearoyllactylate,Natural&Artificial Flavor,Cocoabutter, Spice, Corn Syrup(Corn Syrup,Salt,Vanilla Extract {Vanilla Beans, Water,Ethyl Alcohol}), Polysorbate 60, Vanillin(Artificial Flavor).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2022, 08:42 AM

25,728 posts, read 12,800,389 times
That's hillarious, and sad at the same time. Thx for posting this. I dont buy much bakery stuff, but when I do, I'll drive up to Yoders. I never cared for Publix anyways due to their sky high prices. Nice clean stores & good employees though.

Old 12-03-2022, 09:24 AM

4,615 posts, read 7,535,442 times
If you enjoyed the cake, consider getting one of the peanut butter pies. They are legendary......

Old 12-07-2022, 08:57 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,733,951 times
Y'all got me curious!

We went there yesterday for lunch since my eye doctor's office is near Bahia. Tried the peanut butter cream pie - I would say they're just ok. Detwiler's amish bakery is just as good.

Old 12-07-2022, 01:57 PM

224 posts, read 187,269 times
Generally that's with all the Amish/Mennonite food its made old fashioned. Typically food is grown without pesticides. Up in Cincinnati they had Amish Salsa. Not as good as homemade hillbilly salsa (totally different recipe- and the best salsa in the world) but really good. There's some high end restaruant in Cinci that uses Amish chicken which is naturally raised. The Amish place in Port Charlotte went out of business though I think. It's worth paying the extra money for real food.

Publix has really good food too- good fried or baked chicken, good cookies and stuff but they are generally too expensive for me.

Old 12-31-2022, 07:17 AM

274 posts, read 326,640 times
Detwiler's! I just wish they would move the one in Venice to a better location. They need a bigger store and parking lot. A couple of the Sarasota ones have so much more we often drive up there.

Old 01-03-2023, 11:13 AM

733 posts, read 760,367 times
I'm impressed OP was able to type all those ingredients. Must have taken an hour!

Old 01-03-2023, 02:54 PM

91 posts, read 76,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMN View Post
I'm impressed OP was able to type all those ingredients. Must have taken an hour!
I copied and pasted the ingredients from the product description on the Publix website. I don't have the patience to manually type that long list of ingredients.

Old 02-04-2023, 09:42 AM

287 posts, read 299,965 times
Rendez-Vous - Home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area