Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2022, 05:52 PM

60 posts, read 62,856 times

Advertisements

I have a place in Sarasota, but I live in Tokyo most of the time and my wife is Japanese. Honestly, American sushi is fun and creative but you know it is a different animal from Japanese sushi. So personally, I generally don't see a huge difference in what you get. I mean, of course stay away from anyplace you hear is not fresh or just incompetent but otherwise...

I've been to Ichiban. That place is decent. There used to be a place across from the Total Wine place near the Mall that was run by an old Japanese lady. That was good but I think they have closed down (she was really old).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2022, 06:02 PM

224 posts, read 187,817 times
Cincinnati is full of sushi places. Wasn't like that years ago. But everyone obsessed with it. That and Indian food. I come to Florida and virtually zero sushi places. I don't like sushi but I did notice that. Some parts of the country are loaded with sushi others are not. Might relate to the number of Asians in the area since most of those places are owned by Chinese people.

Old 12-20-2022, 08:32 PM

60 posts, read 62,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1rainman View Post
Cincinnati is full of sushi places. Wasn't like that years ago. But everyone obsessed with it. That and Indian food. I come to Florida and virtually zero sushi places. I don't like sushi but I did notice that. Some parts of the country are loaded with sushi others are not. Might relate to the number of Asians in the area since most of those places are owned by Chinese people.
You might be right. Most places are run by Chinese people. There are occasional Japanese owners and others.

The thing is, in most of the places the main sushi ingredients are rice, avocado, sesame seeds, cooked shrimp, and typically either tuna or salmon. The latter are very common, don't really require a special supplier, and very easy to eat epecially when covered with whatever sauce. Hence, I don't really see that much of a difference in terms of sushi places.

Is your avocado fresh? Yay.
Do they have some interesting roll combos that they don't have at the other place? Bonus!
Is the service competent and decent? Yay.

To me, that's about it.

It's a different story when you are talking about nigiri sushi where you are tasting the fish and rice specifically.

Old 12-21-2022, 10:30 AM

4,793 posts, read 10,618,753 times
I am with Yukenbo on local sushi, et al...
~ 25 biz trips to Nihon, where I have had some of the best sushi, nigiri, sashimi on the planet, but the local Sarasota/Venice area fare ranges from not so good to OK to 'gee, we lucked out' at a dozen places.

Even the Sunday morning stuff at a couple of close by Publix, made to order, (not stuff in the tray cases), is 'decent' for a light Sunday eve dinner, along with some good Junmai or Nigori cold/cool sake.

One's taste buds/expectations may differ...we don't eat out often, but sushi is a decent alt to the usual fare restaurant or eat at home foods, imo.
GL, mD

Old 12-21-2022, 06:16 PM

224 posts, read 187,817 times
I worked at a Japanese restaurant sushi place in Cincinnati. Chinese people owned it and worked there but most people would assume they are Japanese. Chinese people tend to buy restaurants. Japanese own factories. There's several Japanese owned factories in Kentucky. Japanese are similar to Germans in many ways not sure why. Germans are heavily involved in factories and manufacturing as well.

Thus most Japanese restaurants are owned and operated by Chinese. Many Chinese ethnic groups especially in the south they like to cook similar to Italians or something. There are many types of Chinese. China is like Europe with many related but distinct ethnic groups with their own dialect or language. We just call them all han Chinese. A difference between north and south too. Similarly they all have slightly different food but it's mostly nasty. American Chinese food is americanized. They eat that kind of stuff occasionally but pig ears is the most popular Chinese food. Frog legs, duck feet, pig feet, cow tail soup etc. And in the south rice with every meal usually not fried. The food just goes on top of rice and almost always soup with it in the south. Usually vegetable or cow tail soup which has vegetables too. They fed the employees real Chinese food every day. Oh and the whole fish, bones head and all. Occasionally they cook up some Mongolian beef or something you'd recognize in a Chinese restaurant but those are less common dishes that are popular in America. Chicken fried rice or shrimp fried rice also sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area