Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2023, 01:06 PM

35,742 posts, read 21,105,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadonny View Post
I am just learning to hate 75. Northbound, southbound, it doesn't matter the road is just always busy.
Many construction workers live in Hillsborough, Pinellas and Pasco county etc. they drive to Ft Myers area to work every day. The big trucks bringing supplies, etc for repairs. It’s going to last awhile. Hurricanes make a lot of money for these folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2023, 02:49 PM

25,859 posts, read 12,890,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
Here in PG a lot of them actually live on their boat and don't have an actual residence because it's cheaper to live on the boat than getting a house.
I would like to live on a boat for a year to see how I liked it. No grass to mow, but boats do require a lot of TLC. No property taxes, but Marina slips for live aboards are ~$10k/yr, so we wouldn't be saving any money.

I'd want at a 54' Prestige flybridge, so I'd have to trade our home (appreciating asset) for the boat (depreciating asset).

Its a good thing I'm not making these decisions alone.

Most snowbirds have 2 homes, not a boat and a home, but either option is pricey.

I'll need to stick w/ 1 home, and a VRBO 1 month/year, for now.

Am I a snowbird too if I only leave FLA for 1 month?

Old 04-26-2023, 10:02 PM

3,834 posts, read 3,354,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Many construction workers live in Hillsborough, Pinellas and Pasco county etc. they drive to Ft Myers area to work every day. The big trucks bringing supplies, etc for repairs. It’s going to last awhile. Hurricanes make a lot of money for these folks.
Yea. On the weekdays it's the dump trucks, semis and construction related trucks that make driving I75 around here a pain and they're slow too.

Plus Charlotte County is heavily patorlling 75 for speeders again today causing everyone to drive 75mph.

Old 04-27-2023, 07:55 AM

I love seeing the car carriers loading up the Snowbirds cars....eye candy to this local.

Old 04-27-2023, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I love seeing the car carriers loading up the Snowbirds cars....eye candy to this local.
I went to Bradenton to Woody's for lunch today. Heading north saw a number of RVs with their cars in tow heading north.

IT hurts my business this time of year though big time!

What I hate about southern half of FL in how it's inconsistent. I'd rather not be slammed in the winter, and steady year around. What's the Panhandle like I gotta wonder since their "season" is shorter. Like mid may thru end of Sept. The cooler months the beaches are deserted because it's so cold. Is traffic worse in Destin and Panama City in the summer months than it is in Venice in the winter months?

Old 04-28-2023, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
I went to Bradenton to Woody's for lunch today. Heading north saw a number of RVs with their cars in tow heading north.

IT hurts my business this time of year though big time!

What I hate about southern half of FL in how it's inconsistent. I'd rather not be slammed in the winter, and steady year around. What's the Panhandle like I gotta wonder since their "season" is shorter. Like mid may thru end of Sept. The cooler months the beaches are deserted because it's so cold. Is traffic worse in Destin and Panama City in the summer months than it is in Venice in the winter months?
Destin...yes. Gridlock. Panama City not so much. PC chased Spring break away to some extent, so its more families now than before. I almost moved to Santa Rosa Beach, 1 town East of Destin, & I could see the brake lights coming on as drivers approached the Destin city line. They also have bad beach parking & amenities there, & too many overpriced stick-built homes there along 30A...hard pass. Venice is much better overall.

I'm seeing a lot less out of state plates now...mostly FLA

Old 04-28-2023, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Destin...yes. Gridlock. Panama City not so much. PC chased Spring break away to some extent, so its more families now than before. I almost moved to Santa Rosa Beach, 1 town East of Destin, & I could see the brake lights coming on as drivers approached the Destin city line. They also have bad beach parking & amenities there, & too many overpriced stick-built homes there along 30A...hard pass. Venice is much better overall.

I'm seeing a lot less out of state plates now...mostly FLA
Destin kinda reminds me of a Branson. Terrible road setup. In the summer Branson is a NIGHTMARE to do anything. Only a few main roads and takes half hour to go a couple miles since everyone from St. Louis, Arkansas, Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas converges there for vacation.

Also, in the winter it's cold in the Panhandle. But at least up there you get more change of seasons and summer isn't from early April until end of Oct.

Old 05-02-2023, 06:26 AM

The posts on this topic are down to us full time FLA residents, so I guess its time for the moderators to shut it down.

The Snowbirds have left the building. Thanks for coming here, and spending so much money, & hope you return next year....if the...

-Sargassum seaweed
-Red tide
-high rent costs
-bad traffic
-hurricanes
-drought
-rising sea levels
-crowds

....& all the other bad stuff we post about here, doesn't scare you off. Somehow, you surivived all of this, & managed to have a nice time regardless.

Old 05-02-2023, 09:15 AM

4,793 posts, read 10,624,289 times
Migrated north to our western NC Mtn home a week ago, after our 18th winter season in SW FL, nine in Naples, and now ninth in Venice area, SFH.

Last week Thursday/Friday, I-75 North was a surprisingly decent drive other than the occasional and usual slow downs/dead stop and go for zero apparent reason(s).

Venice area to Macon in 6+ hrs and Macon to western NC mtn house in 4+ hrs, two cars doing dodge'em up the ever fun I-75...

Left New Guinea hot SW FL and got home to record cold temps, even for our high elevation.

For the full time rez: enjoy your 'empty' roads and restaurants, and see you in mid to late November, if we are all still on the planet.

A May Day morning snow dusting, at ~ 5,000 ft elevation. Spring on the Mtn...

Old 05-02-2023, 10:59 AM

I'll be in Brevard, NC for 1 month this Summer to escape the heat/humidity of SW FLA.

Instead of being a Snow Bird, I'm more like the mythical "Phoenix", a bird who is associated with the Sun, able to travel great distances, and rejuvenate itself.

My first time to Western NC, & I have high hopes. I like how I can drive there, & have my own vehicle w/ me, versus flying upto New England, and renting a car. Monthly rentals are easier to find in NC & much cheaper, vs. New England.

My view won't be as good as yours though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area