Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2023, 07:55 AM

8,176 posts, read 4,654,186 times

Advertisements

Sarasota named one of Top 10 best places to live in the U.S., No. 1 in Florida

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/tri...a92c2e71&ei=61

U.S. News & World Report has published its 2023-2024 Best Places to Live list, ranking the country's 150 most populous metropolitan areas based on value, desirability, job market and quality of life, with Sarasota coming in at No. 5. It rose four spaces this year, after landing at No. 9 in 2022 and 2021.

Sarasota was also the highest-rated area in Florida, with Naples right behind at No. 6 after falling off the Top 10 last year. Green Bay, Wisconsin took the top spot this year, with Huntsville, Alabama; Raleigh-Durham and Charlotte in North Carolina; Colorado Springs and Boulder in Colorado; Portland, Maine; and Fayetteville, Arkansas rounding out the list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2023, 08:04 AM

1,041 posts, read 567,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wondermint2 View Post
Sarasota named one of Top 10 best places to live in the U.S., No. 1 in Florida

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/tri...a92c2e71&ei=61

U.S. News & World Report has published its 2023-2024 Best Places to Live list, ranking the country's 150 most populous metropolitan areas based on value, desirability, job market and quality of life, with Sarasota coming in at No. 5. It rose four spaces this year, after landing at No. 9 in 2022 and 2021.

Sarasota was also the highest-rated area in Florida, with Naples right behind at No. 6 after falling off the Top 10 last year. Green Bay, Wisconsin took the top spot this year, with Huntsville, Alabama; Raleigh-Durham and Charlotte in North Carolina; Colorado Springs and Boulder in Colorado; Portland, Maine; and Fayetteville, Arkansas rounding out the list.
Green Bay is ranked the best place to live in the U.S?

The list lost any credibility to me.

I lived in Sarasota for one year, nice small town with its own things (ballet, theater…etc.) going on. Great for people who want to enjoy beach, boating, small town feel but enough amenities if you’re not looking for big city energy. It just feels a bit old for us.

Old 05-16-2023, 08:14 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Not credible - just like most of these "best" lists

Old 05-16-2023, 08:44 AM

33 posts, read 22,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Not credible - just like most of these "best" lists
Disagree. What's your main gripe with the list? Green Bay? Though it would not be my number one, you can't knock what other people think.

I think it's a solid list for sure, the top 10 has some great cities/areas on it so I would not call it "not credible" by a longshot. And yes, I am a little partial to Sarasota.

My opinion.

Old 05-18-2023, 02:24 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,733,951 times
Yeah - this 'best of ----' list needs to stop. Wait until you need serious medical attention at Sarasota Memorial (and God forbid, it happens during snowbird season), and you'll find out the hard way how overwhelmed they are.

Old 05-18-2023, 07:32 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,339,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
Yeah - this 'best of ----' list needs to stop. Wait until you need serious medical attention at Sarasota Memorial (and God forbid, it happens during snowbird season), and you'll find out the hard way how overwhelmed they are.
Not only that but the doctors in general. Here in Charlotte County it's worse. My mom has a complex case of heart failure. She was supposed to get a risky stent procedure on Tue and Fawcett. Doctor didn't explain it much until the day of it. Chances are it would went okay and she'd been home next day but chance it would have killed her. Her doctor didn't have much answers and recommended We go to Tampa General Hospital since they specialize in advanced stuff like transplants and if something went wrong they'd be able to save her. Can't get an appt until Mid July up there with a cardiologist.

Anything serious I would stay away from the hospitals in SWFL especially HCA owned ones. LAst summer I went to the ER at Sarasota Memorial Venice and at Fawcett. Fawcett did less in the 3 hours time yet the bill from HCA was like 3 times as high than Sarasota Memorial despite SMH doing a CT with contrast in the er.

Now on I'm going to Tampa. Stay away from Trinity Hospital though in Pasco County.

I'm from St. Louis and the hospitals are larger and so much better up there.

Old 05-19-2023, 08:23 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Quote:
I had a stay at Sarasota Memorial in 2019, and was hospitalized last year up here in Lakeland at Lakeland Regional. Lakeland Regional just wipes the floor with Sarasota Memorial even for being in a small city. It used to take months to get a doctor appointment when I lived in Sarasota, I imagine it is only getting worse now.

Old 05-19-2023, 09:06 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,733,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
Not only that but the doctors in general. Here in Charlotte County it's worse. My mom has a complex case of heart failure. She was supposed to get a risky stent procedure on Tue and Fawcett. Doctor didn't explain it much until the day of it. Chances are it would went okay and she'd been home next day but chance it would have killed her. Her doctor didn't have much answers and recommended We go to Tampa General Hospital since they specialize in advanced stuff like transplants and if something went wrong they'd be able to save her. Can't get an appt until Mid July up there with a cardiologist.

Anything serious I would stay away from the hospitals in SWFL especially HCA owned ones. LAst summer I went to the ER at Sarasota Memorial Venice and at Fawcett. Fawcett did less in the 3 hours time yet the bill from HCA was like 3 times as high than Sarasota Memorial despite SMH doing a CT with contrast in the er.

Now on I'm going to Tampa. Stay away from Trinity Hospital though in Pasco County.

I'm from St. Louis and the hospitals are larger and so much better up there.
I believe you since I experienced it myself back in Jan. I decided to go to Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville because the treatment I received at SMH was utterly abysmal. The 2 hospitals were like night and day in terms of quality, technology, and knowledge. I have 2 neighbors who already moved to Jacksonville due to lack of available good healthcare in this area and I'm seriously considering the same, to be honest. It doesn't matter if you have good insurance or have good money to pay, when your healthcare choices are limited and subpar, your chance of coming out well is diminished significantly.

Your best experience is only as good as your worst emergency.

Last edited by graceC; 05-19-2023 at 09:17 AM..

Old 05-19-2023, 09:15 AM

927 posts, read 758,657 times
South Florida. We've all heard Sarasota is the meanest city in Florida now.

Old 05-19-2023, 10:00 AM

3,833 posts, read 3,339,660 times
Quote:
Oh, I don't know about that. The patients I saw at SMH when I was there in Jan (both the Venice and main hospitals) were old white folks - in other words, the usual age bracket for our area
And you look around most of these people are morbidly obese which leads to diabetes, heart failure, copd, list goes on.

I aee these old people why do they lead such an unhealthy lifestyle? Is it they decide they're 80 and want to eat and drink what they want?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area