Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 08:38 AM

4,895 posts, read 14,138,002 times

Advertisements

Hospital to lay off 31

By David Gulliver

Published: Thursday, August 14, 2008 at 1:00 a.m.
Last Modified: Wednesday, August 13, 2008 at 11:23 p.m.
SARASOTA - Sarasota Memorial Hospital said Wednesday it would lay off 31 employees and cut about 100 vacant positions to head off losses from rising expenses and declining tax revenues.

HEALTH CARE:About 100 empty positions are also being eliminated

The layoffs are roughly split between clerical staff and patient care workers. But hospital officials said no floor-based unit nurses lost their jobs and quality of care would not suffer.

The hospital's elected board knew of and agreed with the plans, but did not have to give formal approval, Vice Chairman Marguerite G. Malone said.

Sarasota Memorial is having its best financial year since 2005. It expects to lose about $19 million on operations but net about $57 million after including its cut of property taxes.

But hospital officials said the layoffs are about next year, when they expect those numbers to fall.

"This is about the economy; you look around and there isn't anyone that hasn't been affected," Chief Executive Officer Gwen MacKenzie said.

Sarasota County's property tax projections say the hospital will lose about $10 million in funding from tax revenue.

The hospital also expects costs to rise $23 million, including double-digit increases in utilities and insurance bills, MacKenzie said. That forced officials to cut deeper than they had hoped.

"We planned for a difficult year, but we didn't plan for a $10 million reduction in property tax revenue," she said.

Last month, Sarasota Memorial's elected board voted to freeze the hospital tax rate for next year, effectively locking in the revenue loss.

The layoffs are expected to save about $1 million next year, officials said. Eliminating vacant positions could save another $4 million.

Among the hardest-hit units is the hospital's team of nurses that specialize in inserting intravenous lines. Eight of the 13 nurses were laid off.

Sarasota Memorial will keep a smaller IV nurse team, and give all nurses a refresher course in starting IVs, officials said. The hospital will retain its overall nurse-to-patient ratio of 1 to 5, Chief Nursing Officer Jan Mauck said.

Most layoffs take effect this week, and employees will get severance pay and assistance in finding new jobs, officials said.

Merit raises will be available at the same levels next year as in 2008, MacKenzie said.

But the layoffs come as many community members -- including some running for the Sarasota Memorial board -- have criticized the hospital for spending money on new buildings and a salary increase for MacKenzie.

The hospital is building a outpatient center in Manatee County and a freestanding emergency room in North Port. It also plans a new bed tower on its main campus to replace aging buildings.

The tower's estimated $250 million cost will be paid largely through money borrowed via a bond issue.

Officials say the expansions are vital to the future.

"The outpatient facilities are going to provide the fuel to support the mission of the main campus," MacKenzie said.

Main campus buildings are not up today's standards, she said, noting the shared rooms in the maternity ward and its crowded neonatal intensive care unit.

MacKenzie's salary is $574,500 after a 3.5 percent merit raise in December 2007 and a 7 percent raise in her new contract, approved in May.

Malone, the hospital board vice chairman, said the board did not know of the layoff plans when it approved the raises. But the two are separate issues, she said.

MacKenzie has performed "brilliantly," Malone said, and when her contract expired, the board agreed to set her new salary at the median for executives at hospitals similar to Sarasota Memorial.

In a letter to managers Wednesday, MacKenzie cautioned that the hospital's work force may not be in the clear.

"I can't promise that we won't have to make further cuts in the future," she said.

"Much depends on the economy and if we make our budget goals for 2009."

The hospital system employs about 4,000 people. It laid off 60 people and cut 30 vacant positions in 2005 and laid off 31 people in 2003.

It's just fascinating that the CEO's salary is over $500K a year & got a raise...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 09:11 AM

33 posts, read 118,890 times
A salary and a raise like that just doesn't seemed justified when close to 150 are going to be without a job.

Old 08-14-2008, 10:06 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,085,469 times
Sounds like funny accounting to me.
How do you save $4 million a year on "vacant positions?" If they are vacant - then who is receiving the $4 million dollars?

From now on - I only want to have a vacant position! I pays more and I dont have to show up - I'm vacant! I'm gonna google what skills I need to do the work of a vacant position that pays soooo much! That equates to $ 40K per year - maybe I can hold 3 vacant jobs. LOL

Old 08-14-2008, 11:24 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,231,607 times
So much for health care positions being recession proof.......

Old 08-14-2008, 12:19 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,560,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post

Nothing is recession proof in Florida at this time. The Florida economy is collapsing!

Old 08-14-2008, 12:27 PM

4,895 posts, read 14,138,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post

I was thinking the same thing.

Old 08-14-2008, 01:47 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
just hope you don't have to have an IV----for some people with bad veins, children, or those in critical situation that is not an easy task--some nurses might be "refreshed" on how to do it--but that does not mean they are good at it...
setting up an IV "painlessly" is an art IMO and some people are more gifted at it than others...
and agree that Gwen has made out like a bandit with her raises vs others who are getting the ax--
and don't believe the malarky that the cuts will not affect servuce--that is BS
unless a hospital is seriously OVER-staffed losing that many position is going to hurt ...

Old 08-15-2008, 10:23 PM

31 posts, read 108,573 times
Still lots of nursing jobs up for grabs in Sarasota on Monster. They will avoid cutting the nurses if they want to keep open...Nurses arent afraid to relocate if they try to short staff then the ugly hits the fan

Old 08-15-2008, 10:26 PM

31 posts, read 108,573 times
Why do hospitals always try to save money by cutting the low end workers jobs when the Biggest wastes are at the top.$!@$!)(@@$!!&(*&^

Old 08-16-2008, 04:55 AM

2 posts, read 4,755 times
Default Possible solution for those laid off

The sadness of this economy grows everyday. It is affecting everything . I have found a real business that can be done from home, and the earnings can be significant, certainly more than some of the hospital workers were earning. I am new to the forum and hope I haven't violated any rules by putting this here. If so, slap my wrist, and it won't happen again. If anyone wants to check out the web site, let me know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area