Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 12:16 PM

960 posts, read 1,687,682 times

Advertisements

OK come on people.... I am all for being proud of our communities and such, but lets face it Sarasota is not going to win a Friendliest Town title anytime soon.

I can't count the number of times driving on 41 when I see someone honk incessantly on a person crossing the street. Even though the pedestrian has the right of way and is crossing at the light, they still honk because the pedestrians are not walking "fast enough". That kind of behavior is not friendly it is downright rude!

How about dirty looks... anyone? Don't lie....we all have gotten dirty looks from strangers in different situations. I'm sure you all have examples.

I've been to genuinely friendly cities and Sarasota is not even close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 12:35 PM

4,895 posts, read 14,140,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbondated View Post
OK come on people.... I am all for being proud of our communities and such, but lets face it Sarasota is not going to win a Friendliest Town title anytime soon.

I can't count the number of times driving on 41 when I see someone honk incessantly on a person crossing the street. Even though the pedestrian has the right of way and is crossing at the light, they still honk because the pedestrians are not walking "fast enough". That kind of behavior is not friendly it is downright rude!
That's typical GTFOut of My Way in Florida though....

How about dirty looks... anyone? Don't lie....we all have gotten dirty looks from strangers in different situations. I'm sure you all have examples.
Dirty looks happen everywhere

I've been to genuinely friendly cities and Sarasota is not even close.
[color="Purple"]I work on LBK, alright, one of THE SNOBBIEST of all keys.....I just tend to have a good attitude....and give back what I get & get everyone laughing....

The only time I ever had an issue was years ago when I was building my house...from some sales lady who'd never heard of my builder...I said, what's your name? I've neve heard of you either, can we move on...and it worked...even got a laugh

COLOR]

Old 09-24-2008, 12:49 PM

960 posts, read 1,687,682 times
Saying dirty looks and downright rude behavior happens everywhere, well so does crime, drugs, etc. But there are better towns with less crime, better towns with less drugs, and better towns with friendlier people.

Sure, I agree, if you put out good vibes, you will generally get them back.
But when strangers give dirty looks in passing, and pedestrians are honked on to move it...where is the opportunity to exchange those good vibes?

Sarasota has room for improvement when it comes to "friendliness".

Old 09-24-2008, 07:40 PM

544 posts, read 1,471,967 times
It was so strange for me but today as I was walking along 41 trying to go to 5 o clock club, some young black hoodlums were trying to start **** with me, I just looked at em and kept walking just to make themselves look like trolls and idiots. Since they were out there by it, I for sure wondered if 5 O clock club closed lol.

Old 09-27-2008, 10:46 AM

915 posts, read 1,625,681 times
hi meltin - i lived in srq for four years - while there were some nice people, i found it not to be a particularly hospitable area - customer service, etc was fairly poor - rude drivers - people not real interested in getting to know anyone - maybe i was too young for where i lived (and I'm not young in age), maybe i was too southern-bred and sociable, or maybe it was just the effect of living in a place that only has one season and it just is too miserable to be outside much of the time. i don't know - it was not a happy period in my life and having visited florida regularly on vacation and always thinking how cool it would be to live there, i won't go back - likely ever - and i certainly wouldn't recommend living there to anyone because pretty beaches and clear water can only go so far.

Old 09-29-2008, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triciajeanne View Post
hi meltin - i lived in srq for four years - while there were some nice people, i found it not to be a particularly hospitable area - customer service, etc was fairly poor - rude drivers - people not real interested in getting to know anyone - maybe i was too young for where i lived (and I'm not young in age), maybe i was too southern-bred and sociable, or maybe it was just the effect of living in a place that only has one season and it just is too miserable to be outside much of the time. i don't know - it was not a happy period in my life and having visited florida regularly on vacation and always thinking how cool it would be to live there, i won't go back - likely ever - and i certainly wouldn't recommend living there to anyone because pretty beaches and clear water can only go so far.
So that opens up at least another parking spot at the beach, right? Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience.

Old 10-13-2008, 07:11 PM

162 posts, read 229,648 times
Sarasota is nice....period!

Old 10-14-2008, 03:29 AM

Default bummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
So that opens up at least another parking spot at the beach, right? Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience.

ouch! don't let the door hit you on the way out, right?

Old 10-14-2008, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triciajeanne View Post

ouch! don't let the door hit you on the way out, right?
Right on....There are rude people everywhere and you know what, sometimes they don't even know they're being rude because it's just how they are.....even I can be rude or snotty at times, but usually because the situation dictates the action. As for honking or weird looks, Florida in general is known for people making left turns from the far right lane with the right turn signal blinking and no appearance of human life at the wheel....plus, in that situation, ususally the driver has been up and made it to SRQ in 24 hours from Detroit....

Old 10-29-2008, 05:42 AM

well, probably time to drop the conversation - i don't think i mentioned honking and cold looks - i am not one of the lifeless behind the wheel that earns repudiation from a safety issue- i grew up in D.C./Northern Virginia traffic so i'm no stranger to aggressive highway attitudes - my comment was in response to the question that someone else posted - that the general attitude in Sarasota is not overly friendly - that it is cold in spirit - obviously it's not every person - just like there are rude people everywhere, there are kind/warm people everywhere - i was just amazed at the overall lack of warmth in the area - i've lived in too many places to not recognize a difference - virginia and north carolina in general are just populated with a higher warmth ratio/ a neighborly spirit you might say - i believe one would find a similar situation in Georgia and other southern states. a good deal of it has to do with treating people as you would like to be treated - people raised in these parts of the country just seem to have been raised with the hospitality gene -i was - and i choose to live somewhere where it appears that others embrace that same worldview - so no offense to you - enjoy florida - someone posted whether others felt the area to be "cold" and i responded yes - each to his own - maybe through the housing crash, sarasotians will learn to lean on each other for comfort a bit more - sometimes the worst of times brings out the best in people

Last edited by mzfroggez; 10-29-2008 at 05:45 AM.. Reason: clarification
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area