Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2008, 10:05 AM

25 posts, read 95,436 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know the dress code policy for sarasota county schools? Do all of the schools in the district have the same dress code or is it set by individual school? What elementry school is better Gocio, fruitville, or lakeview? How safe are these schools? Anyone have any information on the school choice program? My family and I are moving to Sarasota from Wisconsin so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2008, 06:10 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,922,074 times
From what I understand all schools in Sarasota county have school uniforms except Pine View and a few of the high schools. Usually it is khaki or navy blue short/pants/skirt and a collared shirt with the school logo. You can find all of the schools here: http://www.sarasota.k12.fl.us/ They will probably indicate if they require them or not on their website. Other than that it's common sense- no low cut shirts, short skirts, etc.

The way the school choice program works is that you request a change of school from the school or district. This needs to be done in February of the year prior to which your child would be attending. Of course the children that reside in that district get first choice and if there are any openings then they would accept your child. Some schools are not on the list because they are full. They also have to abide by the Florida class size amendment. Here's some info on how it works-http://www.sarasota.k12.fl.us/rae/choice/choice.html

I've heard good things about the gifted program at Fruitville. Many of the parents from Pine View (where my children attend) speak highly of it. I don't know much about Lakeview or Gocio. You might want to go to greatschools.com and see what people have said about them.

Good luck!

Old 10-03-2008, 08:48 PM

5 posts, read 12,428 times
Only some of the schools have uniforms. As for the schools, all of them have problems, it is a matter of what you want to deal with at each school. Sarasota School Board is pro the schools not really the parents

Old 10-04-2008, 09:00 AM

166 posts, read 604,171 times
I would say Frutiville and Lakeview are better than Gocio. Not that I've heard bad things about Gocio, its just not in the nicer part of town. Very few schools in north Sarasota County have uniforms, and they are mostly in elementary schools anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area