Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 10:32 AM

2 posts, read 7,143 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are thinking of buying a vacation home in the Sarasota are. We want a single family home, which will not be used as a rental property. We have a budget up to $500K and I am at a complete loss as to what the most desireable areas are.

We have been directed towards Lakewood Ranch, but that's not really our thing. We both prefer the older 50's, 60's style of home with architecural detail. I like some of what I've seen in the Whitfield Estates area, but concerned about the neighborhood overall.

We'd like CC amenities and a private pool. The Florida MLS is impossible for me to get working. I keep getting "0" results no matter what criteria I use.

Can someone direct me towards some decent subdivisions? We don't need to have a water view, just a pool and nice, upscale neighborhood that is not "cookie cutter"...

Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2008, 11:26 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,914,037 times
I like the Osprey Ave neighborhood. The homes are all different and quaint, it's close to downtown, Marina Jacks, Selby Gardens, etc. McClellan Park is another neighborhood close to Osprey Ave that has the same type of feel. The Landings is pretty neat as well-I love all of the big Banyan Trees in there. A few other neighborhoods worth investigating are-Cherokee Park, Bayview, Aqualane Estates, Oyster Bay, San Remo Estates. Sapphire Shores is on the bay side by the Ringling Museum and there are some neat homes in there as well.

I think Gypsychic just purchased a home in the Whitfield area so she might be able to shed some light on that area.

Good luck with your search!

Last edited by SoFLGal; 10-25-2008 at 12:06 PM..

Old 10-25-2008, 11:37 AM

2 posts, read 7,143 times
Thanks so much - this helps give me a place to start. We are heading down in two weeks and hope to have a couple places lined up to look at.

Right now, there is a listing in Whitfield that I love, though it needs some work, we'd be willing to invest in it - just wouldn't want to over-improve for the area.

There are also two homes in the Bent Tree area I like. Any input on that area?

Old 10-25-2008, 11:51 AM

Bent Tree is another good option. It's one of the older golfing communities in Sarasota. Although you won't find any homes in Bent Tree built in the 50's & 60's-Bent Tree opened in 1985. It kind of reminds me of The Landings with all of the trees. I'm with you on the older neighborhoods. To me they have much more character

Coral Cove in south Sarasota is another area with neat older homes in it. You could probably find something off water in there in your price range.

Last edited by SoFLGal; 10-25-2008 at 12:05 PM..

Old 10-25-2008, 12:03 PM

Just thought of another area! Southbay Yacht Club and Sorrento in Osprey (just south of Sarasota) might be to your liking as well. Definitely worth checking out!

Old 10-25-2008, 12:24 PM

414 posts, read 1,245,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunfishnet View Post
My husband and I are thinking of buying a vacation home in the Sarasota are. We want a single family home, which will not be used as a rental property. We have a budget up to $500K and I am at a complete loss as to what the most desireable areas are.

We have been directed towards Lakewood Ranch, but that's not really our thing. We both prefer the older 50's, 60's style of home with architecural detail. I like some of what I've seen in the Whitfield Estates area, but concerned about the neighborhood overall.

We'd like CC amenities and a private pool. The Florida MLS is impossible for me to get working. I keep getting "0" results no matter what criteria I use.

Can someone direct me towards some decent subdivisions? We don't need to have a water view, just a pool and nice, upscale neighborhood that is not "cookie cutter"...

Thanks so much.
Hi Sunfishnet,
My wife and I bought in Sarasota this past April. We were looking for something different architechturally than you, but I think you might enjoy reading the thread "Just Bought in Sarasota. Helpful Hints." LWR wasn't our cup of tea. We bought in the Palmer Ranch area. We made a very good choice.
Best,
smiledoc1

Old 10-25-2008, 02:29 PM

1,380 posts, read 5,926,944 times
One of the communities that I like is South Bay. This community is in Osprey. The western edge of the community is on the intra-coastal waterway. There is a yacht basin, tennis courts, clubhouse and very nice homes within your budget. The homes are custom, so each is unique. The community has been around a while so there is a mature feeling.
The home prices in South Bay range from the low $400k to well over $1M.

Sarasota Country Club is another option if your looking for a golf club community. This community has a very good course and homes that are within your budget.

I've always liked Calusa Lakes in Nokomis. This golf course community is in the Mission Valley estates area. Once again a mature look and feel to the community. Most homes will back up to the course. The fees are reasonable.

All three of the communities that I mention are close to beach access and an easy commute to down town Sarasota.

Old 10-25-2008, 04:28 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,839,259 times
you might also consider Venice--there are some homes that have the bungalow look built back in the 40s and 50s but they are not really in country club community that I know of
but Venice has lot to offer including just a slower pace with within easy drive of Sarasota itself...

Old 10-25-2008, 05:18 PM

1,380 posts, read 5,926,944 times
I agree with loves2read, but since I live on Venice Island I'm very biased. I did not suggest it earlier since you said that you wanted Country Club amenities. On the Island you can find 1920's vintage homes, some that will need updating and others that have recently been updated.
The streets are walkable/bikeable. The town is well landscaped. More of a small town feel with many housing options. A very nice downtown section. There is a municipal golf course, library, community center, tennis courts, basketball courts. Boat ramps on the intra-coastal, many dining options, and miles of under utilized beaches. Before making a decision come spend a day on Venice Island.

Old 10-25-2008, 07:06 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,082,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunfishnet View Post
Thanks so much - this helps give me a place to start. We are heading down in two weeks and hope to have a couple places lined up to look at.

Right now, there is a listing in Whitfield that I love, though it needs some work, we'd be willing to invest in it - just wouldn't want to over-improve for the area.

There are also two homes in the Bent Tree area I like. Any input on that area?
Hi,
My wife and I just bought a house in PGI and love it! We went to Sarasota and Venice this past weekend, both are cool places to visit, and ideal for a vaction home! There are a lot of really nice shops, cool stores with furniture and art work.

Where are you from?
There is a lot to choose from, and a lot to learn when buying in the area.
You've found site where there are a lot of people that are willing to help.
And, there is a real opportunity right now to make some great deals!
Good Luck!
What is your time frame?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area