Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 09:51 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,657,411 times

Advertisements

Hi All, we're starting to compile a list of various renovations we intend to do to the house we're in contract to purchase in Englewood.

We're going to retile the house. There's probably around 500 sq ft or so that the tile will need to be removed. Total tile to be installed is about 2,000 sq ft. What's the going rate these days to lay tile? Last time we did it, it was 2 bucks per foot although a little more if it was laid diagonal or diamond pattern. We're going to do porcelein and probably tumbled marble insert in front of the french door entryway, as well as between some of the rooms.

We need to knock the wall down between 2 bedrooms and create a larger single room for our home office. We're been working out of 180 sq ft for the last 5 years. The new "office" will be somewhere around 300 sq ft with an additional 35 sq ft of closet space! Yay! Yay Yay! But we need to take the wall down, relocate the electic outlets, skim the knockdown ceiling, reshoot the knockdown, paint, add recessed lighting and dimmers, add a couple ceiling fans, cut 1 or 2 windows into the rooms ( block house ) etc.

Need a new Fence added. Also need some exterior lighting added. Need a landscape person. I have some ideas but a good landscape person would do a better job that I can. Need a good quality painting company. Add a waterfall to the pool, redo the pool, add fiber optic lighting, repaint the cool deck a different color (prefer off white ).

Need a quality lawn service. Any recommendations?

Need an auto mechanic who can work on classic automobiles.

Pool service? We'll probably clean our own pool, but we plan on renovating the pool as I mentioned and when you redo the inside of a pool it's generally better to have a professional adjust the chemicals etc that go into that pool while the new finish is curing or maturing over a 6 month period or so. Least that's what I was told when I redid a pool I had on the east coast ( I used to live in West Boca Raton and also Wellington )

Where do we rent a dumpster?

Bunch of other things but this is a good start on some of the renovations we're doing. I met with a contractor the other day but he seemed high on the tile. The person that referred him to me told me that I need to tell HIM what I'm willing to pay and because of how everyone in the building trades are hurting right now that I'd probably get the deal. I'll meet with him again this week but in the meantime I'd like to put a list of people together to call and compare prices and quality of work. We also need a couple names of people to call when things break around the house. Obviously we don't need contractor to do those things.

Big list I know. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2009, 08:07 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,836,684 times
Default Tropical Tile in Englewood

We used Tropical Tile located in the (soon to be gone) Sweetbay shopping center (SB gone not the shop ctr) on McCall and Placida Roads. They didn't have the color we wanted, we wanted to match our lanai tile color to the brick color around the pool, and they searched to find the exact color. We are picky.

Then the installer did a fabulous job with our request to use some of the leftover pool tile and incorporate it into the new tile in a random pattern. Not easy and he did it VERY artistically. It looks like it was planned from the beginning.

We have had tile work done several times and this was the best job.

Last edited by imagardener; 02-01-2009 at 08:08 AM.. Reason: clarify

Old 02-01-2009, 10:01 AM

They're closing the Sweet Bay? When?

Thank you for the tile referral!

Old 02-03-2009, 03:54 AM

363 posts, read 1,360,862 times
I thought that SweetBay was staying open. The one that is closing is the one on Placida Road and Rotonda Blvd. W.

MrTudo! Welcome to Englewood...

Old 02-03-2009, 03:59 AM

For pool service here in Englewood, I use Soozy's Doozy's. 941-456-0306. She is very reliable and good at what she does! I use a one-man show for lawn service, Kevin 941-769-0871. I think Z's still rents dumpsters. They are on Veteran's between the old Toledo Blade and Atwater Street in Pt. Charlotte.

Happy Renovating!

Old 02-03-2009, 07:42 PM

Thank you 2peaches2oranges, tomorrow we go and sit at the house awaiting comcast to come and install the internet. IF that works out then we'll be even closer to moving. We're still awaiting the bank to approve our offer. You would think that they would jump at an offer right now, but then again I guess they get to tap into all our pockets for welfare bailouts so what's the motivation to take care of business?

Hopefully this won't take tooooooo long. Anyone else have any idea how long it takes for short sales to go thru?

Old 04-25-2009, 10:16 AM

128 posts, read 424,252 times
Hi 2peaches2oranges,

Can you tell me how much your one-man show for lawn service, Kevin charges please and what that price includes.

Old 04-26-2009, 05:14 PM

Default Lawn Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet2007 View Post
Hi 2peaches2oranges,

Can you tell me how much your one-man show for lawn service, Kevin charges please and what that price includes.
I pay $25.00 a cut. He cuts my lawn every two weeks.

Old 10-15-2009, 11:42 AM

15 posts, read 38,087 times
Hello -- this seems to be a good thread to add another question to. We are considering a house that has no central AC....being from up north and not looking forward to a summer next year in FL we are anxious to have a very efficient top notch central air conditioning unit put into the house. right now it has window ac -- house is block and about 1700/1800 square feet inside. Do any of you electricians/HVAC/heating and cooling people have any idea as to a rough estimate to install that in a house in the Venice area? I mean are we talking 2/3k or 20/30k.....I have never had central AC before and really am clueless as to the cost of installing something like that. Thanks to any that respond!

Old 10-15-2009, 02:52 PM

105 posts, read 186,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTudo View Post
Hi All, we're starting to compile a list of various renovations we intend to do to the house we're in contract to purchase in Englewood.

We're going to retile the house. There's probably around 500 sq ft or so that the tile will need to be removed. Total tile to be installed is about 2,000 sq ft. What's the going rate these days to lay tile? Last time we did it, it was 2 bucks per foot although a little more if it was laid diagonal or diamond pattern. We're going to do porcelein and probably tumbled marble insert in front of the french door entryway, as well as between some of the rooms.

We need to knock the wall down between 2 bedrooms and create a larger single room for our home office. We're been working out of 180 sq ft for the last 5 years. The new "office" will be somewhere around 300 sq ft with an additional 35 sq ft of closet space! Yay! Yay Yay! But we need to take the wall down, relocate the electic outlets, skim the knockdown ceiling, reshoot the knockdown, paint, add recessed lighting and dimmers, add a couple ceiling fans, cut 1 or 2 windows into the rooms ( block house ) etc.

Need a new Fence added. Also need some exterior lighting added. Need a landscape person. I have some ideas but a good landscape person would do a better job that I can. Need a good quality painting company. Add a waterfall to the pool, redo the pool, add fiber optic lighting, repaint the cool deck a different color (prefer off white ).

Need a quality lawn service. Any recommendations?

Need an auto mechanic who can work on classic automobiles.

Pool service? We'll probably clean our own pool, but we plan on renovating the pool as I mentioned and when you redo the inside of a pool it's generally better to have a professional adjust the chemicals etc that go into that pool while the new finish is curing or maturing over a 6 month period or so. Least that's what I was told when I redid a pool I had on the east coast ( I used to live in West Boca Raton and also Wellington )

Where do we rent a dumpster?

Bunch of other things but this is a good start on some of the renovations we're doing. I met with a contractor the other day but he seemed high on the tile. The person that referred him to me told me that I need to tell HIM what I'm willing to pay and because of how everyone in the building trades are hurting right now that I'd probably get the deal. I'll meet with him again this week but in the meantime I'd like to put a list of people together to call and compare prices and quality of work. We also need a couple names of people to call when things break around the house. Obviously we don't need contractor to do those things.

Big list I know. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

I wish we were down there already. We are relocting to Sarasota and my husband has installed tile and marble for over 15 years! That sounds like a great project for him!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area