Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2009, 03:23 PM

19 posts, read 75,892 times

Advertisements

I've been researching Lakewood Ranch for retirement. Is there one development vs another which has more "baby boomers"
than another? Do all have CDD fees? It seems between the
CDD's, HOA fees, Clubhouse Dues, Etc it's pretty expensive to live there.
Just as a fallback it there another similar community that isn't as expensive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 04:09 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,916,680 times
You might want to also check out Palmer Ranch. Very similar community. If you do decide on Lakewood Ranch make sure you research the problem they have been having with Chinese drywall. It's been all over the news just do a Google search for Chinese drywall Lakewood Ranch.

Old 03-19-2009, 10:00 AM

16 posts, read 84,091 times
LWR is an awesome place to live...not sure how much youre looking to spend but most homes have a yrly $200 hoa fee, the cdd will run you about $1200...the nice thing about that is once its paid off no more cdd, mines done in twelve yrs some of the older developements are paid off..good luck!

Old 03-19-2009, 10:23 AM

16 posts, read 84,091 times
$1200 pr yr that is...

Old 03-19-2009, 11:04 AM

325 posts, read 1,020,220 times
Default Chinese Drywall

How can someone tell if Chinese Drywall was used? After reading about it, I am very concerned about that, knowing that it was used alot in Florida for a few years.

Is homeowners insurance more in Palmer Ranch because it is located closer to the beach? How much would insurance in Palmer Ranch be for a $300,000 home with the insurance recommended features.

My husband and I are trying to decide to move to either Florida or Hill Country of Texas. Anyone live in both and have advice.

Old 03-22-2009, 10:49 AM

25,449 posts, read 11,729,047 times
My opinion on Lakewood Ranch is that it is just too $$$$$$$$$. The prices are really high, a lot of the homes in Lakewood Ranch look big on the exterior, but the interior is just really small, and the people aren't that friendly. My suggestion would be to look into Sarasota or Venice for retirement. Sarasota has a lot to offer, and Venice has a lot of retirees in it. Good Luck!!

Old 03-22-2009, 03:27 PM

414 posts, read 1,245,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinda View Post
How can someone tell if Chinese Drywall was used? After reading about it, I am very concerned about that, knowing that it was used alot in Florida for a few years.

Is homeowners insurance more in Palmer Ranch because it is located closer to the beach? How much would insurance in Palmer Ranch be for a $300,000 home with the insurance recommended features.

My husband and I are trying to decide to move to either Florida or Hill Country of Texas. Anyone live in both and have advice.
The cost in Palmer Ranch would depend on the type of construction and the date of construction. But it would be about $1300 including flood insurance.

Old 03-22-2009, 05:18 PM

325 posts, read 1,020,220 times
Thank you smiledoc for the information. I thought it would be more because it was closer to the water than Lakewood Ranch.

I sure have enjoyed your comments on the posts. You sound very happy with your decision to buy a home in Palmer Ranch. I did not see that area when we were down there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area