Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 05:09 AM

30 posts, read 150,247 times

Advertisements

All the gang activity and crime issues are just about everywhere. What can be done? How do you, "make it go away?" Are there solutions? I mean real solutions, not the bubba crap...you know...that "kill 'em all, let God sort 'em out." mentallity is NOT a solution. Are there real solutions and what do you think they are?

Old 06-28-2007, 06:50 PM

84 posts, read 354,909 times
Platinum350, I agree that there isn't much nightlife in Bradenton. Maybe Sarasota wouldn't be a bad place to consider moving to. Although, as bad as we are making Bradenton out to be in this thread, there ARE some areas in W. Bradenton that are perfectly livable, and newer areas in the far east area of Bradenton, say east of NEW US 301, and close to I-75. It's just the central and east central parts of town that have gotten really bad. Like someone earlier stated, it is getting worse all over, and even Sarasota had a shooting death early this morning up in Newtown. There's really only a couple things that I can think of that will possibly improve the situation. You've GOT to clamp down on illegal immigration, and you've got to hand down stiffer sentences to keep these ba$tards off the streets. Apparently, this 10-20-Life gun law appears to be a joke to people. Gun crimes are on the increase, and the perpetrators don't seem to give a $hit! Just 2 weeks ago, several Booker High School students (5 black teens total - yeah, BLACK, I'm not afraid to point fingers!) were arrested for armed robbery in the Gillespie neighborhood. They "jacked" 2 different people at gunpoint. I'm sorry, but teenagers have no business in possession of a handgun. If it were me, the kids would get 10 years mandatory just for pulling the gun on somebody. I'd sentence the parents too, even if they knew nothing about the crime, because obviously the $UCK at being parents. Kids gone this bad, this early need a huge attention grabber, and "maybe" they might be productive citizens if they sat their gangster a$$es in prison for 10 years or so,.....but ya know,...naaahh, there ain't a chance in hell for the kids whose mugshots I saw on SNN News last week!

Old 06-29-2007, 09:10 AM

4,895 posts, read 14,142,093 times
Right on Tropcis!

As far as nightlife, beaches... too could only suggest downtown sarasota. It's 12 miles from Main Street & Marina Jacks in to Cortez Road & 41....

Old 06-29-2007, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarasota_Blues View Post
Platinum350, I agree that there isn't much nightlife in Bradenton. Maybe Sarasota wouldn't be a bad place to consider moving to. Although, as bad as we are making Bradenton out to be in this thread, there ARE some areas in W. Bradenton that are perfectly livable, and newer areas in the far east area of Bradenton, say east of NEW US 301, and close to I-75. It's just the central and east central parts of town that have gotten really bad. Like someone earlier stated, it is getting worse all over, and even Sarasota had a shooting death early this morning up in Newtown. There's really only a couple things that I can think of that will possibly improve the situation. You've GOT to clamp down on illegal immigration, and you've got to hand down stiffer sentences to keep these ba$tards off the streets. Apparently, this 10-20-Life gun law appears to be a joke to people. Gun crimes are on the increase, and the perpetrators don't seem to give a $hit! Just 2 weeks ago, several Booker High School students (5 black teens total - yeah, BLACK, I'm not afraid to point fingers!) were arrested for armed robbery in the Gillespie neighborhood. They "jacked" 2 different people at gunpoint. I'm sorry, but teenagers have no business in possession of a handgun. If it were me, the kids would get 10 years mandatory just for pulling the gun on somebody. I'd sentence the parents too, even if they knew nothing about the crime, because obviously the $UCK at being parents. Kids gone this bad, this early need a huge attention grabber, and "maybe" they might be productive citizens if they sat their gangster a$$es in prison for 10 years or so,.....but ya know,...naaahh, there ain't a chance in hell for the kids whose mugshots I saw on SNN News last week!
The teenagers committing crimes, for the most part, I would think come from backgrounds where what they're doing is acceptable. And I make no race/color distinction there...they KNOW/SUPPOSE that if they're under legal age, they'll usually just get a slap on the wrist.

But, I'll tell you, IMO, what's causing most of our recent (past year) crime in Manatee County. It's drugs, hands down. "They" might have cleaned up 14th Street & hid the trash, but now there's holes in the bags and they're overflowing. And, once drugs grab a hold of someone, if they're not destitute, and homeless, they soon will be....I have more to say, but gotta go have lunch.

Old 07-13-2007, 08:27 PM

84 posts, read 354,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
The teenagers committing crimes, for the most part, I would think come from backgrounds where what they're doing is acceptable. ...they KNOW/SUPPOSE that if they're under legal age, they'll usually just get a slap on the wrist. ....I have more to say, but gotta go have lunch.
Acceptable!? If a certain culture finds it acceptable that their 16 and 17 year old kids can stick a gun in someones face and jack people, then there really is no hope! Kids at that age are beyond the impressionable years, and aren't suddenly going to straighten themselves out when they turn 18. If that kind of behavior is "acceptable", then while you're having lunch, I'll be losing mine.

Old 07-16-2007, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Acceptable!? If a certain culture finds it acceptable that their 16 and 17 year old kids can stick a gun in someones face and jack people, then there really is no hope! Kids at that age are beyond the impressionable years, and aren't suddenly going to straighten themselves out when they turn 18. If that kind of behavior is "acceptable", then while you're having lunch, I'll be losing mine.

What I'm talking about "acceptable" is that no one is enforcing any changes. THis last child to get killed, Shawn Paog, Jr., who's father is involved in bad things (let me put it that way), well the gun that this child got hold of, & which killed him, was in the grandmother's house...gee, wonder who hid it there? Maybe dad? You don't understand the way things go down in the hood and our crime rate has skyrocketed because of the drug trade. I kid you not. The drug culture supports it. Why would you go work for $10 an hour when you see your friends & relatives making a grand a day? And the indictments that come down in the spring & fall have done NOTHING to change Bradenton.

Old 07-27-2007, 07:26 AM

1 posts, read 4,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana-Guy View Post
the gangs are fighting like they are back in El Salvador or in Los Angeles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edvard View Post
Get a bullet proof vest and learn Spanish and creole.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana-Guy View Post
As for the US (not just Orlando and Bradenton), the MS-13 gangs are made of the majority of illegal aliens from El Salvador. That is what happens when we have open borders, no enforcement of immigration laws, and offers of amnesties (these people are increasing their flow into the US because of the mere talk to amnesty).
Quote:
Originally Posted by THASPECIAL View Post
we made it near Bradenton and i noticed as i looked down the side streets that alot of them in the main part of town looked like they had groups of dirty thugish latins standing around in groups...
Quote:
Just go to Desoto Mall on any weekend, and you'll see groups and groups of youths, who are dressed like P.Diddy wannabees.
Quote:
this country is becoming run into the ground by illegal immigrants, and this countries inability to keep problem people incarcerated, where they belong.
Quote:
Just 2 weeks ago, several Booker High School students (5 black teens total - yeah, BLACK, I'm not afraid to point fingers!) were arrested for armed robbery in the Gillespie neighborhood. They "jacked" 2 different people at gunpoint.

after reading this entire thread the one impression i've come away with about Bradenton is not that it's full of "criminals" and "thugs," but that it's full of xenophobes and racists desperately grasping at straws in search of a scapegoat for their own problems.

does Bradenton have issues? sure. EVERY city does. and unlike most of you likely middle to upper-middle class whites that live on the far west side of town, i live near McKechnie Field... the kind of place you'd roll up your windows and lock the doors just driving through... so i've seen what Bradenton has to offer.

and i also know that it's not simply the "illegal immigrants" and "the blacks!" causing the problems, but ALL of Bradenton's citizens. the "illegals" and "blacks" are simply the most visibly affected by the lack of resources in Bradenton/Manatee.

yup, all those nice old white folks that live out west or far east that VOTE DOWN every improvement in education, social services and infastructure because they don't want to spend their tax dollars improving Bradenton are reaping the maladies that they have sown, and now they don't like it.

NO MONEY = NO IMPROVEMENTS, and that's the biggest difference between the tourist fabrication that is the City of Orlando and the "ghetto" that is Bradenton. and unlike Orlando, Bradenton has beaches that are unconnected to the rest of the city, so the tourist dollars we do get go directly into the pockets of those on the island that already have it, as opposed to businesses run by people living at the margins who could use it to improve their neighborhoods.

and even those on the far West side and the far "east of 75" side are not angels. they're addicted to Oxycontins, they smoke crack, they buy and sell marijuana, cocaine and own guns. and often, middle-class white kids drive from their homes "west of 59th street" to Oneco where they purchase much of their illegal substances... the only difference is, they can afford to live outside ghetto and keep the "trash" "in its place" while they participate in their illegal activities on the "nice" West side.

in terms of "illegal immigrants"... the vast majority of undocumented workers in Bradenton are hardworking, otherwise law abiding residents that contribute to the economy of Manatee County, which depends heavily on agriculture, second only to the service industry.

like i said, i live near McKechnie field, in a majority Hispanic neighborhood, and i've never met a member of "MS-13" or any "dirty thugish latins". i certainly see the grafiti, but i've never seen anyone writing it. and the ONLY time i've ever been approached by anyone even claiming to be a "gangsta" was when i lived on the WEST SIDE as a young man back in 1996, and a WHITE teenager approached me asking if i was a "West Side Crip"

before the massive influx of Hispanic "illegals" into Bradenton and the rise of alleged "MS-13" gangs (i would venture to say they're just copycats of Sur-Trece Mexican gangs from TX/CA and not Salvadoran MS-13, but i would hate to burst your paranoid bubbles) there were gangs and gang grafiti in Bradenton, and many of them were bored, middle-class white kids with nothing better to do because Bradenton has an incredible lack of resources for young people of any color.

but i digress... the answer isn't to criminalize "illegals" further, pushing them into the shadows, but to find a way to incorporate them into society as fully productive residents. THEY dont want to live in "$hitsville" any more than u or i do... but when youre devoid of rights as an "illegal alien," there isnt much choice or opportunity. the answer is to find a feasible way to document them coming into this country and find a way for them to live and work legitimately.

not only would this serve to "clean up" some neighborhoods, but it would provide police with ALLIES in their fight against REAL criminals..... one of the biggest untold stories of the illegal immigration debate is the fact that undocumented immigrants are disproportionately targeted for street crimes--- robberies, muggings and even assault and murder... yet because they are "illegal" and fear repurcussions, these crimes are rarely reported and thus REAL criminals who prey on people on the street go unpunished.

i'll end this little diatribe here as i didn't intend to cover so much ground in my first post, but i had to let it be known how truly SICKENING it is to see members of a community grasping for any scapegoat they can find for the problems they share responsibility for perpetuating. no, i'm not equating any of you to street criminals and "thugs," but YOUR actions and YOUR attitudes and most importantly-- YOUR VOTES-- impact the community of Bradenton.

instead of sitting on your duffs blaming the "illegals" or the "dirty latin thugs" or the "blacks," who are merely the most visibly impacted by the lack of resources and opportunity, why dont you ask yourselves how you can improve the community. instead of voting down funding for education improvements because you're 65 years old, your kids have graduated college and your grandkids are in public school up in Ohio, THINK about how that vote impacts the community around you for those that are less fortunate. poorly funded education and social services affects ALL members of the community, not simply those who use the services.

Old 08-02-2007, 02:05 PM

1,499 posts, read 4,832,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia1354 View Post
All the gang activity and crime issues are just about everywhere. What can be done? How do you, "make it go away?" Are there solutions? I mean real solutions, not the bubba crap...you know...that "kill 'em all, let God sort 'em out." mentallity is NOT a solution. Are there real solutions and what do you think they are?
No what we need is aggressive policing in the area. There are over 100 gangs in WPB county. 1/2 of them are gang names in Espanol. I think a big part of it is the open border problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
The teenagers committing crimes, for the most part, I would think come from backgrounds where what they're doing is acceptable. And I make no race/color distinction there...they KNOW/SUPPOSE that if they're under legal age, they'll usually just get a slap on the wrist.

But, I'll tell you, IMO, what's causing most of our recent (past year) crime in Manatee County. It's drugs, hands down. "They" might have cleaned up 14th Street & hid the trash, but now there's holes in the bags and they're overflowing. And, once drugs grab a hold of someone, if they're not destitute, and homeless, they soon will be....I have more to say, but gotta go have lunch.
We need to start sentencing teens in gangs as adults and start giving out 10 - 30 years right off the bat. There is also a loophole in FL law that lets these teen gangbangers out in 20 days if the state doesn't file charges. We also need to do away with the FL legal requirement that the judge ask teh teens FEELINGS (I kid yout not, there was a report on ch.6 about this) before sentencing.

A 14 year old today is not a kid anymore, specially if he is in criminal activity. They need a hard 10 years to get them back in reality and shield society from the animal for 10 years at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnestoGuevara View Post
after reading this entire thread the one impression i've come away with about Bradenton is not that it's full of "criminals" and "thugs," but that it's full of xenophobes and racists desperately grasping at straws in search of a scapegoat for their own problems.
Are you related to the psychopath Communist Che Guevara, or just unlucky to have the same last name?

Jokes aisde, there is no xenophobia. The issue here is: if you do the crime, you do the time. We need after school programs, yes, but that is not the only answer. "Social programs", as you call them, just create dependency on the government and lazy people. We need after school programs for kids, BUT we also need tough judges and aggressive policing in the area and these "kids" who commit violent crimes need to go up the road for a long time.

There is no other way, man. Changing the culture of Hip-Hop violence against women, the culture of dog fighting, and the culture of criminality is very hard. So we have a duty in society to arrest these people and put them away. Some of these "kids" are too violent to live in society.

Old 08-06-2007, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnestoGuevara View Post

does Bradenton have issues? sure. EVERY city does. and unlike most of you likely middle to upper-middle class whites that live on the far west side of town, i live near McKechnie Field... the kind of place you'd roll up your windows and lock the doors just driving through... so i've seen what Bradenton has to offer.

and i also know that it's not simply the "illegal immigrants" and "the blacks!" causing the problems, but ALL of Bradenton's citizens. the "illegals" and "blacks" are simply the most visibly affected by the lack of resources in Bradenton/Manatee.

yup, all those nice old white folks that live out west or far east that VOTE DOWN every improvement in education, social services and infastructure because they don't want to spend their tax dollars improving Bradenton are reaping the maladies that they have sown, and now they don't like it.

NO MONEY = NO IMPROVEMENTS, and that's the biggest difference between the tourist fabrication that is the City of Orlando and the "ghetto" that is Bradenton. and unlike Orlando, Bradenton has beaches that are unconnected to the rest of the city, so the tourist dollars we do get go directly into the pockets of those on the island that already have it, as opposed to businesses run by people living at the margins who could use it to improve their neighborhoods.

and even those on the far West side and the far "east of 75" side are not angels. they're addicted to Oxycontins, they smoke crack, they buy and sell marijuana, cocaine and own guns. and often, middle-class white kids drive from their homes "west of 59th street" to Oneco where they purchase much of their illegal substances... the only difference is, they can afford to live outside ghetto and keep the "trash" "in its place" while they participate in their illegal activities on the "nice" West side.

in terms of "illegal immigrants"... the vast majority of undocumented workers in Bradenton are hardworking, otherwise law abiding residents that contribute to the economy of Manatee County, which depends heavily on agriculture, second only to the service industry.

like i said, i live near McKechnie field, in a majority Hispanic neighborhood, and i've never met a member of "MS-13" or any "dirty thugish latins". i certainly see the grafiti, but i've never seen anyone writing it. and the ONLY time i've ever been approached by anyone even claiming to be a "gangsta" was when i lived on the WEST SIDE as a young man back in 1996, and a WHITE teenager approached me asking if i was a "West Side Crip"

before the massive influx of Hispanic "illegals" into Bradenton and the rise of alleged "MS-13" gangs (i would venture to say they're just copycats of Sur-Trece Mexican gangs from TX/CA and not Salvadoran MS-13, but i would hate to burst your paranoid bubbles) there were gangs and gang grafiti in Bradenton, and many of them were bored, middle-class white kids with nothing better to do because Bradenton has an incredible lack of resources for young people of any color.

but i digress... the answer isn't to criminalize "illegals" further, pushing them into the shadows, but to find a way to incorporate them into society as fully productive residents. THEY dont want to live in "$hitsville" any more than u or i do... but when youre devoid of rights as an "illegal alien," there isnt much choice or opportunity. the answer is to find a feasible way to document them coming into this country and find a way for them to live and work legitimately.

not only would this serve to "clean up" some neighborhoods, but it would provide police with ALLIES in their fight against REAL criminals..... one of the biggest untold stories of the illegal immigration debate is the fact that undocumented immigrants are disproportionately targeted for street crimes--- robberies, muggings and even assault and murder... yet because they are "illegal" and fear repurcussions, these crimes are rarely reported and thus REAL criminals who prey on people on the street go unpunished.

i'll end this little diatribe here as i didn't intend to cover so much ground in my first post, but i had to let it be known how truly SICKENING it is to see members of a community grasping for any scapegoat they can find for the problems they share responsibility for perpetuating. no, i'm not equating any of you to street criminals and "thugs," but YOUR actions and YOUR attitudes and most importantly-- YOUR VOTES-- impact the community of Bradenton.

instead of sitting on your duffs blaming the "illegals" or the "dirty latin thugs" or the "blacks," who are merely the most visibly impacted by the lack of resources and opportunity, why dont you ask yourselves how you can improve the community. instead of voting down funding for education improvements because you're 65 years old, your kids have graduated college and your grandkids are in public school up in Ohio, THINK about how that vote impacts the community around you for those that are less fortunate. poorly funded education and social services affects ALL members of the community, not simply those who use the services.

Personally, I hold the government of Manatee county responsible for what you're talking about.

Criminal activity has drastically increased in the past year, and to boot, some of Btown's finest criminals are incarcerated and unable to play their old games....so what happens? The slack has been taken up by new criminals, which the BPD and MCSO have knowledge of, but obviously, no idea on how to handle.

It's not the voters folks, it's our public agencies that rely on CI's to give infor in exchange for liency and drugs; just continue reading about how the women of the night are going to start singing the words to Bradenton's song.

Old 09-19-2007, 01:37 PM

1 posts, read 4,847 times
Bradenton is not what it used to be for sure. It is very over priced and not a good place to raise children, even on the good side. The schools cover up and hide what really happens there, I have two kids in High School, both good kids and they can tell you who sells drugs right on campus and the school officals don't want it to be public so they turn the other way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area