Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 07:54 AM

325 posts, read 1,020,392 times

Advertisements

I have been reading these forums for years and narrowed our search down to Sarasota or Austin, San Antonio or Dallas.

The beauty and beaches and lush green of Sarasota are amazing. I am concerned if the humidity will be tough since we can't afford to live too close to the gulf. People on the Florida forums do not seem too happy with living in Florida, but people in Sarasota seems happier.

I spent more time in Austin area and got to talk to more people while there. A big draw in Texas are the friendly people, larger lots and affordable homes. Hill Country is also beautiful. I am concerned about the allergies in Texas.

We are in our mid 50's and my husband will be working at an airport. I need to move south for sunshine.

We are so torn and just want to make the right decision. They all have pros and cons.

I would really appreciate your input. Tried Phoenix area and I missed green.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 09:09 AM

209 posts, read 452,648 times
hi --- i ve lived in austin and currently in SA. I might be able to answer questions about those two...we are considering florida for the pretty water... we are approaching empty nest. We do like San ANtonio but want a change... VERY affordable relative to most of US. Nice friendly place -- traffic is mild compared to most big cities, although some growth pains occurring in some traffic spots.

Old 05-22-2009, 09:12 AM

209 posts, read 452,648 times
Oh ---also lived in dallas, but that was 20 yrs ago.... i think Austin is prettier, but san antonio is probably friendlier city (great place to raise a family).... san antonio has hills too but not the lakes/river like austin does

Old 05-22-2009, 10:27 AM

Default Are you nervous about that big of a move?

Thank you for your offer for more information. I will PM later. It is so hard to decide. It seems to me that being around really friendly people is very important to starting over making new friends.

Probably my biggest worry about Texas would be the allergies. Am I trading one problem for another. I have very severe seasonal affective disorder for more than half the year up here in Wisconsin. I don't want my husband or myself to suffer terribly with allergies if we move there. It sounds like many people have a terrible time with allergies but most people seem to love Texas.

Did anyone move from Florida to Texas. What do you think?

Old 05-22-2009, 10:52 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinda View Post
Thank you for your offer for more information. I will PM later. It is so hard to decide. It seems to me that being around really friendly people is very important to starting over making new friends.

Probably my biggest worry about Texas would be the allergies. Am I trading one problem for another. I have very severe seasonal affective disorder for more than half the year up here in Wisconsin. I don't want my husband or myself to suffer terribly with allergies if we move there. It sounds like many people have a terrible time with allergies but most people seem to love Texas.

Did anyone move from Florida to Texas. What do you think?
Well, I have never lived in Texas, I am a Florida native, but I just could never move away from our beautiful coasts! Also, I am a believer that the white quartz sand we have here on the Gulf coast along with the salty sea breeze helps cure what ails ya! Most people here in Sarasota are pretty happy living here. My sister moved away from Florida years ago to Wisconsin, but I could never live there- it's really pretty but too cold most of the year for me - I need my sunshine!

Anyway, the thing with allergies, you can have them anywhere - you just develop new ones when you move; so I say pick the place you love and elsewise think you would be happy living in.

You can feel free to PM me about Sarasota if you like, I am always happy to help.

Old 05-22-2009, 11:26 AM

Default Thank you gypsychic

I have gleaned a lot of information reading your posts too. Thank you for offering more information. You are right that Wisconsin is Beautiful, Clean and Nice People, but not only cold, but the lack of sunshine for too long of periods is doing me in.

Sarasota beaches are awesome. I never felt such soft sand in my life. I would love to walk the beaches there often. I LOVE water.

Are the people there friendly? Sarasota is one of the few forums where people do seem to love living there. That is why that is the only place in Florida I would consider.

Old 05-22-2009, 11:55 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,836,184 times
I think you need to visit Sarasota in person as well as the other choices. A town just speaks to you and says yes or no. Sarasota is a nice town but VERY different from Texas where I have visited and have relatives (Austin, Houston, San Antonio). Texas has a younger population and more conservative (well Austin probably not conservative). Sarasota is older and 50/50 Obama/McCain in the election.

Florida and Sarasota is much more transient, everyone is from somewhere else. There are allergies here too but I have fewer here than up north where the seasons really pack on the pollen. It's one long summer here so not a strong blast at one time.

We also weighed moving to Texas instead of staying in Florida. Taxes are much higher in Texas and we enjoy being near the water so that settled it. Family living in Texas love it and will never move.

Sarasota is one of the most beautiful areas of Florida and I have lived on both Florida coasts.
It's a great place but you need to visit, look for homes and see if it's right for you.

Old 05-22-2009, 12:12 PM

Default Visited Sarasota

My husband and I did visit Sarasota and looked at many homes. The many pond or preserve views were a big draw for us. The ocean another draw. We were able to get a feel for the area but not the people. We spent all of our time searching for areas and homes.

I would say that both Sarasota and Texas are speaking to us, but like you said, in different ways. I felt really at "home" in Austin area and loved the beauty of Sarasota. I am afraid that the transient nature will make it tougher to make friends.

It is so beautiful there. I have been traveling over the last several years looking for a place to move. Usually in the winter to get some sunshine. I did not feel at home in Phoenix and was anxious to leave. Sarasota and Austin area are both so nice.

I guess one concern, is we need a home large enough to have my mom stay for extended visits and I want to be able to give us all a little bit of space. Texas we can afford more home, but wow, the taxes are high. It probably equals out with the higher insurance costs in Florida.

I can not tell everyone how helpful reading the forums have been. I feel that they truly represent most of the places I have visited. People are so wonderful for taking the time to share their thoughts on where they have been. Thank you so much.

Old 05-22-2009, 01:08 PM

158 posts, read 158,399 times
Austin.

Old 05-23-2009, 08:40 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,088,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinda View Post
My husband and I did visit Sarasota and looked at many homes. The many pond or preserve views were a big draw for us. The ocean another draw. We were able to get a feel for the area but not the people. We spent all of our time searching for areas and homes.

I would say that both Sarasota and Texas are speaking to us, but like you said, in different ways. I felt really at "home" in Austin area and loved the beauty of Sarasota. I am afraid that the transient nature will make it tougher to make friends.

It is so beautiful there. I have been traveling over the last several years looking for a place to move. Usually in the winter to get some sunshine. I did not feel at home in Phoenix and was anxious to leave. Sarasota and Austin area are both so nice.

I guess one concern, is we need a home large enough to have my mom stay for extended visits and I want to be able to give us all a little bit of space. Texas we can afford more home, but wow, the taxes are high. It probably equals out with the higher insurance costs in Florida.

I can not tell everyone how helpful reading the forums have been. I feel that they truly represent most of the places I have visited. People are so wonderful for taking the time to share their thoughts on where they have been. Thank you so much.

I've been to Houston and Dallas, and seen San Antonio breifly. I would definitely choose Sarasota. I don't know why people say that people there are not friendly! As someone said, many people are transient, they are from all over. I haven't met anyone that wasn't friendly. I am open to speaking to anybody, and love to open a conversation. I haven't met anyone that isn't friendly, if you show interest in what they tell you when they speak back. If you aren't open to really having a conversation and brush it off, they will too. I have broken down a lot of barriers by listening to what they say, and have a positive response, even if you are just asking for directions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area