Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 02:50 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,084,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennySquirrel View Post
Hey Ryan

Well, they could install a digital camera and when they notice the tags, they can just go back and look at the video.

Where I lived they did that. Then the pic got plastered on the TV with a reward. Then the person was turned in, fined 5K, had to paint the entire wall, etc. AND they had to wear a sign saying " I vandalize property" and stand on the major intersection for a month on the weekends.

It cost the city nothing but the initial cameras which the fines paid for and guess where the tagging stopped? Yep! End of problem

In almost 3 yrs since the program started there was only 1 "graffiti" and it was on an over pass and it said " I Love Amy" with a pink heart. So I am not thinking it was a gang. It was removed in a couple days.

I am thinking this could work here too and Florida can use the extra cash from the fines.
I dunno, could be a gang of people love Amy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 02:09 PM

1,653 posts, read 4,296,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
Gee, I thought you'd appreciate Barney! He is such a hard worker. With the endless supply of debt we can take on, surely if you wrote a nice letter to him soliciting his assistance in your cause - he'd jump right in to help. I think you should contact him Jennysquirrel.

How's things? Are you still looking for a house? Are you looking for another area around Sarasota to live? What going on? Haven't heard from you in a while. I thought introducing the concept of having Barney help might get you back on line.
Oh Barney....I can't say too much here for fear of getting throw out! LOL I'll just set up the sausage stand and see if he is willing to work it.

No not looking for a house now. We are staying put until the bottom hits and the inventory clears out. I don't like the area but it'll do.

I am very happy I didn't go to Sarasota. It would be a scary place to select a place, site unseen. Too many nasty areas in Sarasota. I'd want to see it with my own eyes and really look into the neighborhood,etc.

After being here for 6 months I can say Venice, Punta Gorta, North Port are much nicer then this part. I am sure we will head south as soon as we are ready.

I can't even think of moving again. I have to forget the pain before I do it again. LOL

Old 05-26-2009, 03:12 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,647,809 times
I'd stay away from the Pines in Punta Gorda. That is all.

Old 05-26-2009, 05:55 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,889,641 times
Quote:
Hey Ryan

Well, they could install a digital camera and when they notice the tags, they can just go back and look at the video.

Where I lived they did that. Then the pic got plastered on the TV with a reward. Then the person was turned in, fined 5K, had to paint the entire wall, etc. AND they had to wear a sign saying " I vandalize property" and stand on the major intersection for a month on the weekends.

It cost the city nothing but the initial cameras which the fines paid for and guess where the tagging stopped? Yep! End of problem

In almost 3 yrs since the program started there was only 1 "graffiti" and it was on an over pass and it said " I Love Amy" with a pink heart. So I am not thinking it was a gang. It was removed in a couple days.

I am thinking this could work here too and Florida can use the extra cash from the fines.
The only problem with that is that you can't put cameras everywhere and eventually EVERYTHING will get tagged, including the expensive cameras Besides, A would be vandal really could sue saying his constitutional rights were violated as he was video taped without his permission which is illegal in some states, I have no idea about Florida's laws anymore.

Old 05-27-2009, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRyan23 View Post
The only problem with that is that you can't put cameras everywhere and eventually EVERYTHING will get tagged, including the expensive cameras Besides, A would be vandal really could sue saying his constitutional rights were violated as he was video taped without his permission which is illegal in some states, I have no idea about Florida's laws anymore.

You are right, they would probably steal the camera's. LOL This area I am talking about is the same spot time after time. They could easily install one camera and take care of it.

There is a brand new hotel they are just finshing up and they have tagged the windows of the hotel. I bet the hotel will hire a 24 security and that would help. How long will they have guests if they are all getting tagged?

Florida's laws have to allow cameras because they are everywhere, well EXCEPT in this little area That is where they need them.

Old 05-27-2009, 06:40 PM

Quote:
You are right, they would probably steal the camera's. LOL This area I am talking about is the same spot time after time. They could easily install one camera and take care of it.

There is a brand new hotel they are just finshing up and they have tagged the windows of the hotel. I bet the hotel will hire a 24 security and that would help. How long will they have guests if they are all getting tagged?

Florida's laws have to allow cameras because they are everywhere, well EXCEPT in this little area That is where they need them.
Cameras can be spotted in numerous locations and in either conspicuous places or in non-conspicuous locations. Some don't look like cameras, and they even have faux cameras that don't even work just have a red flashing led light so they look like cameras. In any case they are cheap and can deter this kind of vandalism.

Old 05-28-2009, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Cameras can be spotted in numerous locations and in either conspicuous places or in non-conspicuous locations. Some don't look like cameras, and they even have faux cameras that don't even work just have a red flashing led light so they look like cameras. In any case they are cheap and can deter this kind of vandalism.
Yeah well they need to spring for a few of them for this one area. I'd even pay for them myself. I just find graffiti so annoying. I'm hoping with the hotels opening, they will get some security and run those rats out of town.

Old 06-01-2009, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Yeah well they need to spring for a few of them for this one area. I'd even pay for them myself. I just find graffiti so annoying. I'm hoping with the hotels opening, they will get some security and run those rats out of town.
I agree the whole area is so nice, graffiti just destroyes property quickly and cheaply. I hope they're able to get it undercontrol too.

Old 06-01-2009, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I'd stay away from the Pines in Punta Gorda. That is all.
Hey TKramer,
From what I understand the Pines is an apartment / condo complex that is on the Port Charlotte side of the River. Mailing address wise it may be a part of Punta Gorda, but is more PC than PG being that far away, and with the river between PG and PC as a boundary. Your advice may still be valid though, I don't know that much about the pines.

Old 06-01-2009, 01:55 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,647,809 times
Quote:
Hey TKramer,
From what I understand the Pines is an apartment / condo complex that is on the Port Charlotte side of the River. Mailing address wise it may be a part of Punta Gorda, but is more PC than PG being that far away, and with the river between PG and PC as a boundary. Your advice may still be valid though, I don't know that much about the pines.
The one I'm thinking of is off Taylor Rd...can't place in my head how far it is from Airport Road though. Between Airport and Cooper, I'm pretty sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area