Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 01:35 PM

59 posts, read 164,609 times

Advertisements

I know this is not a fishing board, but I was wondering if anyone here knew of any flats opportunities around where I can sling the long rod? I am sure I can get into some snook in the surf, but I would love to chase some reds in shallow water!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 05:00 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,925,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snivlem View Post
I know this is not a fishing board, but I was wondering if anyone here knew of any flats opportunities around where I can sling the long rod? I am sure I can get into some snook in the surf, but I would love to chase some reds in shallow water!
You should be able to catch some Reds on the flats north of Sarasota Bay and in Gasparilla Sound in Charlotte Harbor. There are plenty of reds scattered along the sandbars and mangrove shorelines. Look for bait schools and surface activity to find the action.

Right off from the Ringling Mansion is what's referred to as Ringling Flat. The sand and oyster bars on the east side of the bay are some of the best places to find reds.

Oyster bars, docks and creeks are good places to find reds. Just make sure you don't get your rig tangled up.

Happy fishing

Old 06-27-2009, 08:17 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
one reason my SIL refuses to consider moving back to DFW part of TX--no place to fly fish...

Old 06-27-2009, 09:01 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,091,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
one reason my SIL refuses to consider moving back to DFW part of TX--no place to fly fish...

I have some awesome fly fishing equipment that my father in law gave me. Some of the rods are collector items, and are in beautiful shape. I used to fly fish as a kid, and remember totally trashing my rods, so I am leary about using these. They probably should be displayed. But, I love to fish, and get out on the water as much as I can when I'm in Florida.

Maryland has some of the best trout streams around, and has some renown stocked rivers, and reservoirs with other types of fish. I need to get a good fly real, and pick out one of the older rods, and get out there.

I also want to fly fish for bone fish and red fish down in Fl, but I think I will keep flyfishing for Maryland. Except, I want to fly fish for Strippers up in Montock (sp) where fishing during the fall blitz's is one of those super experiences. I just gotta get a friend of mine to quit working for a bit and go! Working is such a pita (initials for pain in the a__)! It interferes constantly with why we're all here!

Old 06-27-2009, 09:13 AM

1,380 posts, read 5,929,715 times
There is no shortage of flats in this area, Bull Bay and Pine Island Sound have deserved reputations for quality red fish. I've heard good things about the waters around Midnight Pass and little Sarasota Bay.

I don't use a fly rod but imagine that it must be rewarding to fight an over sized bull red in gin clear water on one.

When the wind is up and viability is poor on the flats, you might try chucking with mullet or pilchards to bring the fish closer to the boat.

I've been playing with the tarpon and sharks in the Peace River over the past week. The big boys are feeding on the out going tides. I've been successful getting the fish to bite on cat fish tails that I work on the surface.

I've been trying to get an out of state buddy to land a big tarpon but so far he's been schooled. He had a 100+ fish is less than 2 foot of water (the back was out of the water) the fish worked to the mangrove and broke him off on a barnacle encrusted branch. He lost another huge fish when the fish ran over 100 yards of line off and the level wind became out of sync with the spooled line. The 50lb braid snapped just above the leader.

Good luck on the reds

BH- I still want to show you the fishing on the river, you in town this coming week?

Old 06-27-2009, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLBob View Post
There is no shortage of flats in this area, Bull Bay and Pine Island Sound have deserved reputations for quality red fish. I've heard good things about the waters around Midnight Pass and little Sarasota Bay.

I don't use a fly rod but imagine that it must be rewarding to fight an over sized bull red in gin clear water on one.

When the wind is up and viability is poor on the flats, you might try chucking with mullet or pilchards to bring the fish closer to the boat.

I've been playing with the tarpon and sharks in the Peace River over the past week. The big boys are feeding on the out going tides. I've been successful getting the fish to bite on cat fish tails that I work on the surface.

I've been trying to get an out of state buddy to land a big tarpon but so far he's been schooled. He had a 100+ fish is less than 2 foot of water (the back was out of the water) the fish worked to the mangrove and broke him off on a barnacle encrusted branch. He lost another huge fish when the fish ran over 100 yards of line off and the level wind became out of sync with the spooled line. The 50lb braid snapped just above the leader.

Good luck on the reds

BH- I still want to show you the fishing on the river, you in town this coming week?

I'm coming back down on Thursday, and will be around for 3 weeks - at least! :-) I took my cousin down to the pass, and tries some of the things you showed me, but no luck again. When we came back we had dinner at River City, later three young guys came in and were covered in fish guts! Man they stunk. They said the went out to hand line for grouper - they know a spot, but hooked up with a 200+ tarpon. They all had rub burns on their hands from the experience.

Anyway! I'd love to try the river fishing, and need another quick lesson on the cast net. I have one, which I told you about. It is not quite as big as the one you have. I tried to throw it off the back of my boat when I was by myself. I didn't have much luck, because I didn't get a good spread, surpisingly not because I couldn't multi-task. Although it is a lot easier with two people!

Old 06-27-2009, 09:46 AM

1,380 posts, read 5,929,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
I'm coming back down on Thursday, and will be around for 3 weeks - at least! :-) I took my cousin down to the pass, and tries some of the things you showed me, but no luck again. When we came back we had dinner at River City, later three young guys came in and were covered in fish guts! Man they stunk. They said the went out to hand line for grouper - they know a spot, but hooked up with a 200+ tarpon. They all had rub burns on their hands from the experience.

Anyway! I'd love to try the river fishing, and need another quick lesson on the cast net. I have one, which I told you about. It is not quite as big as the one you have. I tried to throw it off the back of my boat when I was by myself. I didn't have much luck, because I didn't get a good spread, surpisingly not because I couldn't multi-task. Although it is a lot easier with two people!
BH- I've been harvesting 4-5 baits off the #2 marker which is just a little north and west of bass inlet. You were throwing my net well, so I'm sure you'll do well with a little review. I'll give you a shout latter in the week and we can firm up a day/time. I've had the best success on the out going tide, which has been morning and evening, but next week that will happen mid-day.

Old 06-27-2009, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLBob View Post
BH- I've been harvesting 4-5 baits off the #2 marker which is just a little north and west of bass inlet. You were throwing my net well, so I'm sure you'll do well with a little review. I'll give you a shout latter in the week and we can firm up a day/time. I've had the best success on the out going tide, which has been morning and evening, but next week that will happen mid-day.

That sounds great! I've seen tarpon rolling all over the place last week, and not just in the pass, in the harbor and in the canal too.

My cousin and I caught a lot of mackrel and thread herring on shrimp near the fish haven just north of Burnt Store. After having such success catching bait, we decided to run down to Boca Grande and try our luck. We saw tarpon blitzing and thru into them - but missed out! It was really calm that day - the run there was pretty easy!

Old 06-27-2009, 10:52 AM

59 posts, read 164,609 times
Not only do the fly fishing opportunities excite me, when we move I will be bringing my malibu x-factor kayak down, and can't wait to try for a tarpon in the thing! I'm getting more excited about this move all the time!

Old 06-27-2009, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snivlem View Post
Not only do the fly fishing opportunities excite me, when we move I will be bringing my malibu x-factor kayak down, and can't wait to try for a tarpon in the thing! I'm getting more excited about this move all the time!
I fish from my kayak - its a trip! There are lots of places to launch from! There are rural canals, and lots of mangroves to fish in, where some of the shallow draft fishing boats cant even get too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area