Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 09:08 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times

Advertisements

mr/mrs sunshine--if you have bought a home in the area would it would be worth the money to buy a good older used car to keep parked when you are not here?

there are rental companies where you can walk out of the terminal to your car
there are a few--budget/enterprise-where you ride a shuttle bus a mile or so away to their lot to pick up your car...

going back to see my daughter middle of Sept with good friend who has been through a mastectomy and reconstruction lately--
will be checking for car rates again
short term rates are just the pits if you are not a frequent user/business traveler
on our last trip--the price our daughter got was great--but it was not really the times we needed for our flight return--trying to change it would have cost $300 more--so we would up coming into TPA several hours earlier and eating lunch with our daughter at PF Changs in the mall close to airport--she had to come in her car so she had a way back--think she went by Ikea afterwards to make her trip worthwhile
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2009, 10:15 AM

127 posts, read 296,247 times
The trick I found is to check the codes.. I've had gret luck booking through Alamo and mixing codes for weekend rates, weekly specials, last minute specials etc.. I've also notdone bad at National since I'm an emerald isle member but they do tend to be a little higher in price. Something to check also is that some insurance companies will cover you in a rental so you can decline their insurance - I know American Express Gold do.. When you coming in September -I'll see what rates I can find..

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
mr/mrs sunshine--if you have bought a home in the area would it would be worth the money to buy a good older used car to keep parked when you are not here?

there are a few--budget/enterprise-where you ride a shuttle bus a mile or so away to their lot to pick up your car...

going back to see my daughter middle of Sept with good friend who has been through a mastectomy and reconstruction lately--
short term rates are just the pits if you are not a frequent user/business traveler
on our last trip--the price our daughter got was great--but it was not really the times we needed for our flight return--trying to change it would have cost $300 more--so we would up coming into TPA several hours earlier and eating lunch with our daughter at PF Changs in the mall close to airport--she had to come in her car so she had a way back--think she went by Ikea afterwards to make her trip worthwhile

Old 09-04-2009, 10:38 AM

122 posts, read 323,747 times
I found a ton of discounts and codes just by searching car rental codes in Google. Up to 25% off weekly rentals.

Old 09-04-2009, 02:22 PM

3,645 posts, read 7,152,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
Stop it! You are about to make me cry! If you could fight worth a crap we wouldn't have kicked your butts out, and you would still be here!

Just teasing! Hurry back! I miss ya buddy!

huh we lose one road trip and you crow on!!!

we cant wait either amigo- just 25 days now

Old 09-04-2009, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post

it might eb however we always fly with Virgin and have to go into Orlando, so we would still have to get the 170 odd miles each way which would end up costing a load. Besides which an old car wont work - Mrs S wants a Viper (and I quite fancy a Cayman) so thats the auto budget blown !!

we invariably end up using hertz who are best and cheapest and are only a short shuttle trip from Orlando int

Old 09-05-2009, 09:52 AM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,218,798 times
You can bid what you want to with priceline.

We snagged a full sized car for $25 per day out of tampa airport with Budget.

They ran out of full sized cars, and gave us a mid size We ended up with a malibu 4 cylinder.

Old 09-05-2009, 12:51 PM

69 posts, read 235,931 times
You can also get in touch with Jack's Car Rental in Sarasota. If you can get a shuttle ride from Tampa to Sarasota he's usually very reasonable. If you fly into Sarasota-Bradenton Airport he'll pick you upfrom and deliver you back to the airport.

Old 09-05-2009, 05:14 PM

175 posts, read 544,039 times
We regularly see $21/day out of TPA using Hotwire. Check often; prices change daily.

Old 09-06-2009, 12:09 AM

i love flying into sarasota airport because its so relaxed. orlando is a nightmare -not as bad a s Miami though, but we have to go into MCO as Virgin dont fly into Tampa. I have done Virgin to NY and then hopped down to sarasota which is great but Mrs S doesnt like stopovers (extra takeoffs and landings !)

Old 09-06-2009, 10:47 AM

151 posts, read 599,453 times
I just heard that the rental car companies will not rent to anyone over 75 yrs of age? My Great Aunt wants to visit and this is what she was told. She is 76 yrs old and has a Great driving record etc. Is this true?? Does anyone know??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area