Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 09:08 AM

166 posts, read 604,419 times

Advertisements

Yeah, what angelfish said. Also, there is a reason why you can find a lot of info on Lake Apopka...lol

Also, those kind of tests are done a lot more in areas with water polluting industries (powerplants, oil refineries, etc). We really don't have those types of industries. Our biggest concerns are local run-off and septic system leaching.

I don't recall Siesta Key ever been called Florida's Cleanest Beach. They refer to the sand as clean, as it is.

Last edited by atroxanautin; 08-23-2009 at 09:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 04:23 PM

175 posts, read 544,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixonCox View Post
Why does Siesta Key Beach smell of rotten eggs? I have visited there twice this summer, and both times have smelled that sulfur smell.
It's hydrogen sulfide. Otherwise known as "low tide smell". It isn't from harmful chemicals. Caused by anaerobic bacteria growing in stagnant water. We can smell very low levels of it. If you really wanted that much info

Old 08-24-2009, 10:58 AM

508 posts, read 1,108,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
Hmmm...ok, well, I will try not to let my sense of humour enter into this reply. The Gulf, like the ocean is full of chemicals that are emitted during the transportation process. If you decided to accept the challenge & take a dip, it won't be any worse than breathing the air.
Lady, lady, lady...

Old 08-26-2009, 09:04 AM

8 posts, read 12,638 times
You all talk as if you stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night!

Old 08-26-2009, 10:45 AM

60 posts, read 60,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scots View Post
It's hydrogen sulfide. Otherwise known as "low tide smell". It isn't from harmful chemicals. Caused by anaerobic bacteria growing in stagnant water. We can smell very low levels of it. If you really wanted that much info
Makes sense. Although the water is so clear, the algae must be minute. I asked someone there a few weeks ago, and they told me it was due to the shore property that was grandfathered in on the sewage. Some properties dump right into the water. I thought it would take an awfully big turd to smell that bad.

Old 08-27-2009, 01:58 PM

37,626 posts, read 46,035,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YeahMon View Post
Why does Siesta Key Beach smell of rotten eggs? I have visited there twice this summer, and both times have smelled that sulfur smell.
I was there yesterday. Spent a week on the beach...no such smell that I could detect.

Old 08-27-2009, 02:17 PM

Siesta Key is about the cleanest beach I have ever visited. It's a "Blue Wave" beach, so they take pains to keep it clean.

Blue Wave Beaches of Florida FL

Old 08-27-2009, 03:41 PM

593 posts, read 1,917,637 times
Thanks for your responses. I would prefer it if all of our coastal water were tested sporadically for things like atrazine and pcbs and rocket fuel additives.

Obviously, it is moving water, and, as Hereclitus said, one can never step into the same stream twice.

But I don't see how that premise leads to a conclusion that it shouldn't be tested. I also don't understand how one can know it is as clean as the air without some sort of data. I understand that you like it and want to promote it, but this is not a request for promotion and the question need not be marginalized.

There is a lot to be concerned about with the gulf if one is versed in such things. How are we supposed to know how much dilution works if we don't test? In the 70s the creed was "the solution to pollution is dilution" and that's when a lot of this infrastructure was built. I have been working with a professor who is doing fish research here on the Atlantic side who is finding a lot of feminized fish with high body levels of xenoestrogens - some of them strongly linked to breast cancer in humans. Having grown up swimming daily at the beach, this is disturbing. I am looking to relocate to the Sarasota area and enroll my son at Pine View, but I am trying to make sure I will like it there first, that's all. . . I need data, not promotion. I'm a difficult customer that way

Old 08-27-2009, 04:39 PM

175 posts, read 544,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YeahMon View Post
Makes sense. Although the water is so clear, the algae must be minute. I asked someone there a few weeks ago, and they told me it was due to the shore property that was grandfathered in on the sewage. Some properties dump right into the water. I thought it would take an awfully big turd to smell that bad.
It isn't from the clear water in the gulf. Usually it's stagnant brackish water like in a swamp. Could also be the same bacteria working on seaweed decomposing under the sand. It's really a common smell seaside the world over. Ah, that Holiday Inn Express really was nice

Old 08-27-2009, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocamom View Post
Thanks for your responses. I would prefer it if all of our coastal water were tested sporadically for things like atrazine and pcbs and rocket fuel additives.

Obviously, it is moving water, and, as Hereclitus said, one can never step into the same stream twice.

But I don't see how that premise leads to a conclusion that it shouldn't be tested. I also don't understand how one can know it is as clean as the air without some sort of data. I understand that you like it and want to promote it, but this is not a request for promotion and the question need not be marginalized.

There is a lot to be concerned about with the gulf if one is versed in such things. How are we supposed to know how much dilution works if we don't test? In the 70s the creed was "the solution to pollution is dilution" and that's when a lot of this infrastructure was built. I have been working with a professor who is doing fish research here on the Atlantic side who is finding a lot of feminized fish with high body levels of xenoestrogens - some of them strongly linked to breast cancer in humans. Having grown up swimming daily at the beach, this is disturbing. I am looking to relocate to the Sarasota area and enroll my son at Pine View, but I am trying to make sure I will like it there first, that's all. . . I need data, not promotion. I'm a difficult customer that way
If you are so concerned about the water, then why don't you simply move somewhere where you don't have to be swimming in any water??

I too grew up swimming in the Atlantic, and over 50 years later, I still am doing so. So far, so good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area