Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 01:39 AM

175 posts, read 543,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamiamiTrailBlues View Post
Can anyone tell me about Gulf Gate? It looks quite nice.

And another question...why do almost all pools have those UGLY cages over them? I assume it is to prevent constant cleaning?
I was very interested in buying in Gulf Gate and probably looked at every single house that was on the market in there, and in fact made an offer on one house, so I can probably answer some specific questions if you want to ask. It's a very nice neighborhood in a great location, but many of the houses are overpriced in my opinion, in part because a lot of people who are selling are older and are not willing to face the realities of the current market. In the end I bought a newer and nicer house in Palmer Ranch. But if you can get a good price it would be really nice there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 05:51 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,922,074 times
Quote:
Can anyone tell me about Gulf Gate? It looks quite nice.

And another question...why do almost all pools have those UGLY cages over them? I assume it is to prevent constant cleaning?
Like someone pointed out, they keep the bugs and debris out but the main reason is for insurance purposes. They keep small children and animals from wandering into the pool and drowning. You will find very few homes without them. If the home is new it will have a baby gate around the pool as well as the cage to give extra protection against drowning-it's code now.

As far as the HOA's go, if you wanted to build a koi pond you'd have to check with each specific one to see what the rules stated. Or you could go the other route and avoid them all together.

I think Scots observation of the Gulf Gate area is pretty accurate. We are seeing a foreclosure occasionally in there so you might want to keep an eye out for them.

On a side note, I've been getting LOTS of orders from the banks to give opinions of price on new homes coming on the market. We have quite a few in premarketing right now. Just got two yesterday. It's interesting the varied properties we are getting as well. There in all areas, all price ranges and all styles. A home for $899K on Manasota key on the water, a home for $29K in Port Charlotte, several homes under $100K in North Port, a home in south Venice, a duplex in Englewood, a couple in Sarasota.

I think we're goning to see more of the higher end properties coming on the market with many of the "A" paper ARM borrowers.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:57 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
these "new homes" would be foreclosures that the banks are putting out there then?
just the trickle down of unemployment, company closing offices that are showing up and probably will continue to...

Old 09-01-2009, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
these "new homes" would be foreclosures that the banks are putting out there then?
just the trickle down of unemployment, company closing offices that are showing up and probably will continue to...
Yeah, the "new homes" are recent foreclosures. It's kind of sad really when you think about it. But on the flip side it gives opportunity to new buyers. Judging by the amount of new BPO's (Brokers Price Opinions) I have been getting in the last week or so, we might be seeing another wave hitting in the next month or so.

Old 09-01-2009, 12:30 PM

4,895 posts, read 14,140,308 times
Quote:
Thanks. It appears to be a dumb idea to rent, when most of the places I see are several thousand a month. I could throw away over 10% of my home purchase by renting for a year.

Just keep looking...
It's really dumb to get stuck with a house when you don't know the area and decide six months/year later that you hate it here & are now stuck with house payments.

Old 09-01-2009, 12:55 PM

1,008 posts, read 2,635,257 times
But looked at who all got sucked in !!
Lets await the denials

Old 09-01-2009, 02:59 PM

122 posts, read 323,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
It's really dumb to get stuck with a house when you don't know the area and decide six months/year later that you hate it here & are now stuck with house payments.
Your right, but we are planning on paying cash for our house, as I stated in my original post. We won't have a house payment, only taxes, utilities, groceries, and whatever fun stuff we decide to do. But we don't want to buy something somewhere we will regret. I am just tossing around lots of thoughts.

Old 09-01-2009, 04:18 PM

Your best bet is to come down here and look at the area extensively, whatever that means to you. A long trip, maybe rent until you get a feel for which area you like best.

I think it's good to toss around ideas and get another persons "take" on what you're trying to do.

Old 09-01-2009, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter the Brit View Post
But looked at who all got sucked in !!
Lets await the denials
What do you mean?

Old 09-01-2009, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
Your best bet is to come down here and look at the area extensively, whatever that means to you. A long trip, maybe rent until you get a feel for which area you like best.

I think it's good to toss around ideas and get another persons "take" on what you're trying to do.
Thanks. Hopefully we can find a place a tad cheaper than the prices I am seeing for rents. One could drop $10K for 3 months time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area