Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 07:07 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,895,840 times

Advertisements

landed today in Tampa with my friend who just finished her reconstructive surgery from mastectomy---
we drove to my daughter's in a new malibu--just 123 miles--had dinner on the beach at Sharkey's and watched the sunset--not great one but it was nice on the water--had two deckrunners and grilled grouper...
glad to be back
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 11:32 PM

3,645 posts, read 7,154,792 times
lucky you - we join you in a mere 12 days.........................

Old 09-18-2009, 05:47 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,930,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
landed today in Tampa with my friend who just finished her reconstructive surgery from mastectomy---
we drove to my daughter's in a new malibu--just 123 miles--had dinner on the beach at Sharkey's and watched the sunset--not great one but it was nice on the water--had two deckrunners and grilled grouper...
glad to be back
Hey loves2read welcome to Florida! How long are you in town for? Get used to the afternoon rains. They come in about 3pm everyday.

Old 09-18-2009, 07:33 AM

know about the rains--
had dinner at Sharkey's last night at nice table by the beach--watched the sunset although it was not as beautiful as some we have seen--grouper and deck runners--my friend had a lobster roll which reminds her of summers at Montauk when she was a girl...
going into the pool this morning and to the beach after lunch

if anyone knows a good pool cleaning service in Nokomis area could you PM me
think I might give it to my daughter for early birthday present for few months

Old 09-18-2009, 01:38 PM

25,449 posts, read 11,737,078 times
Quote:
glad to be back
Welcome back to the Suncoast Loves2Read!! Hope your stay is an enjoyable one.

Old 09-19-2009, 08:45 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,094,441 times
Welcome down!! I hope you and your friend has a great trip. I cant wait for another grouper sandwich too. I'm still in MD catching up on all the crab eating that I missed. :-)

Old 09-24-2009, 06:09 AM

we had a great time--really best of all my visits--wish my husband had been with me and my friend...
this is obviously THE time to come to FL since crowds are limited to people who actually live here and have jobs--so the beach was almost empty Friday after lunch...low humidity and good weather--until Sunday when the sky opened up above TPA--thought our flight might be cancelled but it was only delayed about 45 min--just glad we were not sitting on the plane and stuck at the gate like some people we saw boarding...
I really miss my daughter not being in our area but this part of FL is really growning in my affection...

Old 09-24-2009, 12:31 PM

204 posts, read 601,860 times
Quote:
know about the rains--
had dinner at Sharkey's last night at nice table by the beach--watched the sunset although it was not as beautiful as some we have seen--grouper and deck runners--my friend had a lobster roll which reminds her of summers at Montauk when she was a girl...
going into the pool this morning and to the beach after lunch

if anyone knows a good pool cleaning service in Nokomis area could you PM me
think I might give it to my daughter for early birthday present for few months
Not that this will help with your question, but just wanted to share: we changed our pool to saltwater 2 years ago, and it's about 1/10th the effort to maintain now, and we no longer need a service. I think the unit was $600-650 installed. Our pool service prior to this was $80/month.

We put stabilizer in the pool once, maybe twice in a year, the occasional few cups of acid, salt now and then, and things stay perfect and clear without scrubbing. There's a Sparkle-brite near here that we take the water in for analysis about every month or two. I'd be amazed if we've spent more than $100 in chemicals each year, and once we the chemistry was up and running, it's been hardly any effort since.

The only "work" is spraying out the heyward cartridge filter... maybe once per month during heavy use, every other month otherwise and it's not hard at all.

One added plus is the almost non-existent chlorine means that the water isn't toxic to the occasional frog that hops in. We scoop them out and put them in our pond, but they keep coming back for the spa-like experience.

Three cheers for one of those rare home improvements that paid for itself quickly!

(FYI, ours is a 12,000 gallon pool under a screened cage)

Old 09-24-2009, 01:08 PM

1,380 posts, read 5,930,733 times
My neighbor Otto, works for Perfection Pool in Venice. It seems that I'm constantly running into people that know Otto, he does the repair work for perfection Pool. Several of my customers have selected Perfection Pool to do their regular maintenance. You might put them on your list of companies to check out.
Welcome back, it appears that you are among the first wave of snowbirds. I'm already noticing the uptick in population.

Old 09-24-2009, 01:15 PM

thanks for the info
unfortunately unlike snowbirds we don't have a long time to roost...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area