Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 07:10 PM

414 posts, read 1,245,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryHelmhazzard View Post
FIOS comes straight to your house over fiber.

We have both Verizon FIOS and Comcast (FIOS for the business, Comcast for home) coming to our home.

The Verizon digital business phone line + FIOS package deal costs almost exactly the same as what just the business phone line used to cost, so we agreed to it. Having the redundancy is nice now and then when Comcast goes offline- which is unfortunately somewhat frequent.

For the past 10 months, FIOS has been rock solid, while Comcast has had 6 or so outages in the last 2 years- two of which were for several days at a time including phone service (we signed up for their "triple play" - phone, tv, internet).

Assuming Verizon doesn't jack up their rates when our 1 year contract comes up for renewal in November (our current rate is a promotion), we'll stick with them and probably drop Comcast. On the Verizon small business site (Verizon Small Business - Special Offers) they have an offer for this area - $149.99+tax/mo for FIOS, TV, and 2 phone lines. One line for the office, one line for home use ... I could live with that.

Anyone decided to drop land-lines entirely in favor of cell phones? We would, but the signal in our area stinks, and I'm not sure I want to try installing a cell signal booster in the attic. I've heard people getting wildly mixed results.
You bring up some very valid points. Here in central MA we had a vicious ice storm last winter. In some areas, Charter (cable) was hit hard. In others Verizon was hit hard. Few places had both down. Those houses that were mated to one carrier for all TV, internet and landline phone were in the roughest shape.
I have cable internet in my house and Verizon DSL for my office internet. I don't want to be at the mercy of just one carrier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 04:41 AM

383 posts, read 1,024,480 times
You all are making some great points, but I still am not sure which direction is right for me! I'm sure there are others following this thread for info to help them make a choice on TV,phone, internet,etc. so keep on posting comments if you have any,PLEASE! I am so sick of dealing with the slow dial-up I have now I could just spit And I would really like TV service that works when you're stuck in the house during a rainstorm, with nothing much to do,(and the wife is giving you the DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT IT LOOK)

Old 10-01-2009, 05:24 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,665,567 times
If FiOS is available it wins hands down over any other provider. At least for speed and reliability of the internet connection, and clarity of the TV signal. They also have a better HD package that Bright House, not sure about

Price wise they are usually at least competitive of not cheaper than the cable company so you shouldn't have a problem there.

We have had it for 15 months or so, and have had 0 downtime.

Old 10-01-2009, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryHelmhazzard View Post
Anyone decided to drop land-lines entirely in favor of cell phones? We would, but the signal in our area stinks, and I'm not sure I want to try installing a cell signal booster in the attic. I've heard people getting wildly mixed results.
Haven't made that decision yet. When we were switched from Alltel to Verizon Wireless our signals got considerably worse.

We have however had Vonage for both the home and business phones for a number of years. It was pretty good on cable (not Vonage's fault, but the flaky cable's fault), it is rock solid on FiOS. It's $24 for the home line, and $49 for the business line.

Old 10-01-2009, 07:52 AM

4,895 posts, read 14,142,093 times
Re: land line issue

I haven't had a land line since 2004.

Old 10-01-2009, 08:21 AM

455 posts, read 979,433 times
As Tommy said, we've got Dish for t.v. and Embarq upgraded "naked DSL" for computer. We went through hurricane Wilma in Cape Coral with only one brief outage on the Dish Network. We also get interruption in service when there's clouds in the SW sky between us and the satellite.

When I run a speed test on our DSL, the results say we're running FASTER than a T1 line. I've had opportunity to use a client's Comcast on his computer and it is excruciatingly slow. When we moved into this area, Embarq told me that there were no other DSL customers in the neighborhood and we would have to wait while they ran a line to us. I don't know if this accounts for the excellent speeds we get on DSL. Tommy can be downloading a file and I can usually stream video unless he is downloading a huge, complicated file.

Old 10-01-2009, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsTommy View Post
As Tommy said, we've got Dish for t.v. and Embarq upgraded "naked DSL" for computer. We went through hurricane Wilma in Cape Coral with only one brief outage on the Dish Network. We also get interruption in service when there's clouds in the SW sky between us and the satellite.

When I run a speed test on our DSL, the results say we're running FASTER than a T1 line. I've had opportunity to use a client's Comcast on his computer and it is excruciatingly slow. When we moved into this area, Embarq told me that there were no other DSL customers in the neighborhood and we would have to wait while they ran a line to us. I don't know if this accounts for the excellent speeds we get on DSL. Tommy can be downloading a file and I can usually stream video unless he is downloading a huge, complicated file.
DSL speed is based on the distance from your home to the CO (central office), and not so much on the number of users. Cable degrades quickly based on the number of people on the node that are using it, so neighborhoods that have lots of users will have noticeably slower connections. The quality and age of the copper wire (and all of the associated equipment) being used also has an effect on the quality of service.

T1 speeds (1.5 mbps) haven't been considered fast for quite a while.

Old 10-01-2009, 02:42 PM

475 posts, read 900,822 times
I have had Comcast for years in MI and I have always hated their customer service . I now have AT&T in Mi and hope they have it in Sarasota when I come down.

Old 10-01-2009, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithhtt View Post
I have had Comcast for years in MI and I have always hated their customer service . I now have AT&T in Mi and hope they have it in Sarasota when I come down.
No AT&T here, but if you have U-verse then you'll find FiOS is conceptually similar, but with better speeds more bandwidth for the TV's.

Old 10-01-2009, 05:41 PM

414 posts, read 1,245,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
Re: land line issue

I haven't had a land line since 2004.
My 23 year old EE daughter called a few days ago all excited about a life experience. She just had to tell us she used a rotary phone for the first time in her life!!
The trend certainly is away from landlines. I know lots of people my age who are going wireless only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area