Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 07:53 AM

172 posts, read 472,425 times

Advertisements

Housing bottom? Analysts wary | HeraldTribune.com | Sarasota Florida | Southwest Florida's Information Leader
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 06:19 PM

66 posts, read 143,690 times
this is what i thought. everyone kept saying that we've bottomed but i don't think so either. currently, home prices are kept higher than the market value because of FED interference, keeping interest rates artificially low. the gov can't keep that up much longer.

Old 10-29-2009, 08:22 AM

172 posts, read 472,425 times
Good points! Here are a few other honest articles about the real estate market.

Housing Prices May Fall Further - Forbes.com

Housing prices forecast to fall in 2010 -- and could keep falling for years -- DailyFinance

Old 10-29-2009, 11:56 AM

513 posts, read 1,223,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaving texAss View Post
this is what i thought. everyone kept saying that we've bottomed but i don't think so either. currently, home prices are kept higher than the market value because of FED interference, keeping interest rates artificially low. the gov can't keep that up much longer.
The bottom callers are always the people that are trying to sell or the people making a commission by getting you to buy.

As long as that tax credit is alive, then housing is still artificially inflated. You won't find a bottom until the government involvement has ended and inventory levels return to normal.

You're years away from that in Florida.

"On a regional basis, Moody's said hard-hit states such as Florida and California will be among the last to recover and "will only regain their pre-bust peak in the early 2030s, well after the nation does."

Home prices won't regain peak this decade: Moody's - MarketWatch

Old 10-29-2009, 06:07 PM

1,008 posts, read 2,634,256 times
Whilst there is a demand by snowbirds to live here IMHO Florida will be the first to recover as the lack of new houses caused by the recession will make demand exceed supply in the resale market

Old 10-29-2009, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter the Brit View Post
Whilst there is a demand by snowbirds to live here IMHO Florida will be the first to recover as the lack of new houses caused by the recession will make demand exceed supply in the resale market
I'm sure all those empty condo towers are filling up as we speak...

Old 10-30-2009, 06:59 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamy46 View Post
I'm sure all those empty condo towers are filling up as we speak...

Well, some older friends of ours from France saw an opportunity here and just bought themselves a nice condo at a great price. I expect others will do the same. There are more and more Europeans here these days. I'm certainly not saying the condos are "filling up", but I agree with Peter that it won't take as long as all these "doom and gloom" articles are projecting. It's just my personal opinion, based on the desirability of this area.

Old 10-30-2009, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Well, some older friends of ours from France saw an opportunity here and just bought themselves a nice condo at a great price. I expect others will do the same. There are more and more Europeans here these days. I'm certainly not saying the condos are "filling up", but I agree with Peter that it won't take as long as all these "doom and gloom" articles are projecting. It's just my personal opinion, based on the desirability of this area.
That's great. I'm sure the Condo homeowners associations are quite glad to have someone they can bill for all the people not paying their dues.

Old 10-30-2009, 09:09 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamy46 View Post
That's great. I'm sure the Condo homeowners associations are quite glad to have someone they can bill for all the people not paying their dues.

Not sure what your problem is, you don't even live here do you? Anyway, our friends bought into a beautiful place where there are no foreclosures, they won't be paying anyone's dues.

Old 10-30-2009, 09:13 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,082,980 times
The bottom, may be here, maybe not. There are thousands and thousands of home that, without a doubt, have been held back from the market due to the policies and manipulation of the government.

I expect that the tax credit will be retained, and actually may be extended (to a lesser degree) to people that are second or more time buyers. They (the government and banks) need to stimulate things and get these non-performing assests off the books of these banks. There will continue to be great deals to be had in Florida for years and years to come! As long as, and conditioned upon, the government being able to maintain these manipulations; if they can continue to do it until the recovery actually takes hold, then we can say we have hit the bottom.

The good news is that the new home market has been dead for a long time. There will be no new home market here for a while either. So the back log of homes that are sold, are in fact continually deminishing the supply. Once the back-log is sold off, then the market will show signs of real recovery, and then new jobs will be created. Until further notice - the status quo will continue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area