Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2010, 08:19 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,925,572 times

Advertisements

I know one of the rules that they have to follow are that they can only live so close to a school or bus stop, etc. It's been my experience that they seem to flock to areas where others reside- Not always but I have seen this. I guess if you are one you don't care much if your neighbor is one too.

Florida Statute, 794.065, entitled, “Unlawful place of residence for persons convicted of certain sex offenses“, which holds, in part, that individuals convicted of certain sexual crimes, where the victim was less than 16, and the offense occurred on or after 10/01/2004, cannot reside within 1,000 feet of any school, day care center, park, or playground. For additional details, please see Florida Statute 794.065.

Last edited by SoFLGal; 01-17-2010 at 08:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 08:21 AM

513 posts, read 1,223,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy-105 View Post
clusters = low income neighborhoods?
I would equate the clusters to being areas that these people feel they can safely live in without harassment or being outright ran out of the neighborhood; safe havens for them so to speak. Of course some of them are poor, but that isn't universally true.

Old 01-17-2010, 08:30 AM

66 posts, read 143,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canotwaittilportcharlotte View Post
Also people here are rather stupid, horrible drivers, greedy, selfish, ignorant, and this city is filled with addiction driven criminals.
it's the same all over. i moved WAY out in the texAss country and found myself surrounded by drunken, lying, druggie, rancher filth who attacked me because of something that another neighbor did. i almost shot a few of them. there is no escape. i'm rooting for the asteroid....

Old 01-17-2010, 08:54 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,091,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaving texAss View Post
it's the same all over. i moved WAY out in the texAss country and found myself surrounded by drunken, lying, druggie, rancher filth who attacked me because of something that another neighbor did. i almost shot a few of them. there is no escape. i'm rooting for the asteroid....
I'm glad you are getting away from all of that! I'm glad you have a choice to be able to do that! I don't have much sympathy for people that intentionally make decisions that screw up thier lifes, or the lives of other. "much" is a key word, I guess it depends on what the circumstances are, sometimes I can't help but reach out and help up someone that has fallen down. And, often I don't know why they are down - I just do it. Maybe its the "Big Brother" or "Daddy" syndrome I live with.

Old 01-17-2010, 09:51 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
I'm glad you are getting away from all of that! I'm glad you have a choice to be able to do that! I don't have much sympathy for people that intentionally make decisions that screw up thier lifes, or the lives of other. "much" is a key word, I guess it depends on what the circumstances are, sometimes I can't help but reach out and help up someone that has fallen down. And, often I don't know why they are down - I just do it. Maybe its the "Big Brother" or "Daddy" syndrome I live with.
In my life, BH, there have been many times where I was absolutely stuck. Not forever, mind you. But stuck. And there have been times where I could make a positive move. I have done that every time.

But I am here to tell you that if you are born into very bad circumstances it can be a very long and high mountain to climb to get out of that situation. And bear in mind that when you first attempt it, you are very young and have no experience.

Do I have sympathy for everyone that is down? No. I've seen too many lazy folks or people with entitlement attitudes. But there truly are people out there that need a helping hand I am glad that you provide one. You never, ever know who you are truly helping.

I believe in passing it on and never crowing about it afterward.

Okay. Back to your regularly scheduled programming...

Old 01-17-2010, 02:28 PM

1,642 posts, read 3,345,307 times
So here I posted in this thread to say how much friendlier I have found the people in Sarasota, only to get this "reputation message" or whatever:

we are already used to the snobby "get out of my way" yankees down here. they've already taken over the state. why do you think so many natives move to friendlier, prettier, less concrete places like NC?

As opposed to saying something nice, of course.

Inexplicable. The anonymous person says "here," which I guess indicates someone who has stayed there in spite of their xenophobia.

We are friendly people, and expect people to interact with us in a friendly way. When they do not, we simply cease to interact with them. If I were to find the place that I live "taken over by" rude people, I would move.

I just find it ironic how rude people are when they are trying to convey how rude everyone is.

Old 01-17-2010, 03:54 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,091,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
In my life, BH, there have been many times where I was absolutely stuck. Not forever, mind you. But stuck. And there have been times where I could make a positive move. I have done that every time.

But I am here to tell you that if you are born into very bad circumstances it can be a very long and high mountain to climb to get out of that situation. And bear in mind that when you first attempt it, you are very young and have no experience.

Do I have sympathy for everyone that is down? No. I've seen too many lazy folks or people with entitlement attitudes. But there truly are people out there that need a helping hand I am glad that you provide one. You never, ever know who you are truly helping.

I believe in passing it on and never crowing about it afterward.

Okay. Back to your regularly scheduled programming...

Hey Hik,
You are making my point. My post was kinda a carry over of an earlier post I made concerning the poor wretched souls in Haiti, that have been born into a situation, and can't do much about it. You ought to read my post after reading my post from this morning on the Haiti thread. One without the other - leaves my post somewhat naked.

I am a lot less sympathetic with child molesters (who have to struggle to find a place to accept them), or drug addicts, or other people that have been hurtful to society, and made bad choices on thier own. I appreciate the people that have just plain struggled in life with all the issues that can bring on. If you read that post - You will know that I'm not crowing about anything.

Old 01-17-2010, 05:28 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,926,253 times
The state is trying to bring thousands of Hatiains to Central FL, saw it on the news yesterday. I feel terrible for what has happened, but I dont think we should bring them to Central FL.

Back to OT...

Old 01-17-2010, 05:55 PM

917 posts, read 2,616,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
The state is trying to bring thousands of Hatiains to Central FL, saw it on the news yesterday. I feel terrible for what has happened, but I dont think we should bring them to Central FL.

Back to OT...
What happened to these people is beyond horrible, but setting up camps in Florida? Don't we have enough problems here already? This article refers to "Haitian-Americans" not Haitians. So I'm confused. I guess they are American citizens that were living in Haiti?
Quote:
Governor Charlie Crist says he first learned of the possibility of Haitian Americans coming to Florida a few days ago, while in Miami. And he says Orlando would be an ideal place for some of those refugees to be relocated.

"We have a lot of supplies right here in Central Florida that are really on reserve for our hurricanes. Fortunately, the last three years, we haven't had them. That gives us the reserves that Haiti doesn't have to be of aid and assistance to them."
Governor on Haitian-Americans possibly coming to Central Florida - WDBO Local News on wdbo.com (http://wdbo.com/localnews/2010/01/governor-on-haitianamericans-p.html - broken link)
Quote:
Two Dominican aid workers were shot in Haiti today during relief efforts, WNBC reports.
They were taken to a hospital and their conditions were not immediately available.
According to the report, a man was shot by Haitians he was actually trying to help. Another civilian was also shot in the incident, which occurred during efforts to distribute food to needy Haitians.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_426067.html

Last edited by tommy-105; 01-17-2010 at 06:32 PM.. Reason: "Haitians-Americans" not Haitians?

Old 01-17-2010, 06:08 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,947,870 times
Default Central Florida and Miami

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy-105 View Post
What happened to these people is beyond horrible, but setting up camps in Florida? Don't we have enough problems here already?
An excerpt: Operation Pierre Pan

Thousands of orphans and other Haitian children displaced by the earthquake will be airlifted to miami in a humanitarian project.

Operation Pierre Pan would be a near repeat of Operación Pedro Pan, which saw 14,048 unaccompanied Cuban children start new lives in the US in the early 1960s.

Just like that two-year programme, which was designed to remove children from the control of Fidel Castro's government, the new arrivals would live in temporary shelters in south Florida until foster homes are found, or they are reunited with family members.

The plan, the brainchild of the Catholic archdiocese of Miami, which oversaw the original Cuban mission, still awaits government blessing and money. But Florida's social services and education authorities are already on board, church officials have identified four sites for temporary shelters near Miami and Fort Lauderdale, and the area's sizeable Haitian-American community has promised its backing.

Education leaders in Miami-Dade county said more than 300 schools were equipped to offer places to Haitian children, including lessons in Haitian Creole, their native language.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area