Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2010, 10:48 AM

1,580 posts, read 3,143,097 times

Advertisements

Been reading this board for years and just registered. Started another thread about moving down to Englewood and mentioned that we were considering starting or buying a business.

What we would like is some suggestions on what you think would work in the area. Our house is North Englewood and we would like to get into something located between there and Sarasota. There has to be something that is missing as far as goods or services. Once we relocate we are going to take our time and seek this out but in the mean time if any one has any suggestions we would love to hear them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 12:41 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,080,222 times
I don't think this area is missing any kind of retail or service businesses. You name it and there are dozens of it. Stay away from anything in a mall or upscale strip center. The rent costs are very high. Also don't get involved with a business where you will need a lot of employees. If you get involved with a service business, buy a house in a NO deed restrictions area so you can operate out of your house.

Old 02-10-2010, 05:04 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,091,177 times
I hear that the government is gonna need to print more money, maybe you could get in that business. Of course, the competition gets pretty upset, and may pull the rug out from under you.

Or you could sell sand. The start up costs are pretty low.

Just kidding!

I wish I could give you a sure fire winning suggestion!

So in lieu of that, I wish you luck!

Old 02-10-2010, 08:02 PM

3,231 posts, read 7,465,461 times
I think I may have a suggestion, this is based solely upon my own observations of having lived in Englewood for almost a year. I'll just throw it out there.... some sort of delivery business. Something is needed for people that can't get out of the house, drugstore pickups or grocery store errands, hair appointments for the elderly women. Here's another thing, there are lots of restaurants here in town but very few offer delivery. They all offer take out but no delivery service, except for Hungry Howie's. Key West subs will only deliver to very local area business's. Once you've arrived here you might be able to make arrangements w/ local restaurants to reduce their menu price's to you once you've proven you are reliable, have brought them a well drawn up business plan and have done a lot of marketing and research. Placing ads in the local Englewood Sun, Englewood Review, the local Yellow Pages in the restaurant section as well as placing business cards in all of the local restaurants, golf club houses, the 55+ communities, the Elks and other lodges where the elderly hang out will bring in business.

Yes, there will be start up money involved but we all know it takes money to make money.

When I lived in Lauderdale for a couple years there was a local business there that I found in the phone book. They would deliver anything! If someone needed a case of beer and a pack of butts, they'd bring it!

How about a "we'll drive you home after happy hour business"? There are no local taxi's in Englewood.

Just something to think about. Best of luck to you!

Old 02-11-2010, 04:58 AM

1,580 posts, read 3,143,097 times
great idea. where we are now you can find a store or restaurant that will deliver in any category. you would think with the high local unemployment that this need would be filled.

Old 02-11-2010, 05:09 AM

325 posts, read 1,024,415 times
I think we will have rising costs again in gas, so someone who delivers takeout also from restaraunts, pharmacies, groceries would work.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:47 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,091,177 times
Island Mermaid

Well done!!
That is an excellent idea!!
Here is a business that started doing exactly that thing in our area of Maryland. They started with the menu of just a couple restaurants, and now they represent a number of good resturants in several counties in Maryland, and are growing.

Below is a link to their website. I've used them many times, when I get home late from work, and am hungry and (as usual) too lazy to make myself something decent.
Maryland Restaurant Delivery

They represent not just one resturant, but many, and employ a number of people. I think representing a number of businesses would be very efficient, and certainly GPS tracking would help in this day and age!

I've noticed that not many places around here do carryout, but many restaurant businesses would love to have someone deliver for them, certainly people call for carry out and delivery (but there are few places, if any that deliver around here). I think this business example would explode and be very successful here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area