Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 02:30 PM

192 posts, read 496,873 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering what the general rules are when a community is an "adult community?" My husband is 56, I'm 47, daughter is 16. We're looking for vacation/investment property, so lack of kids around isn't an issue. What about resale value compared to "non-adult communities"? And would we be able to allow relatives w/younger kids vacation there?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2010, 03:08 PM
GPH

94 posts, read 232,653 times
My in-laws live in an age restricited community in Englewood, and some of the rules are that 1 of the owners have to be 55, kids are allowed to visit, but I believe there is a time limit to 2 weeks at a time. The recreation areas of the park also have time limits, so my kids could go into the pool from 8-10 a.m, and then not until 4:00p.m. No golf cart driving by anyone under 16, and no one under the age of 18 could use their pool tables. Despite all the rules, we did have fun on a short visit with them. Their Grandmother did break the golfcart rule, and let my boys drive around a bit, but she was in the golfcart with them! (one of the neighbors reported her to the board, no pot luck suppers for a month!) Good Luck.

Old 02-27-2010, 05:32 PM

774 posts, read 2,382,633 times
I live in a 55 and over community in North Port, but there are nowhere near that many restrictions.

First of all 20% of any of these communities can be under 55 by Florida law. This is to protect a spouse who is under 55 and his/her husband/wife dies. The surviving spouse can legally retain ownership.

You need to be 18 to live here permanently but children can visit for two weeks at a time with no restrictions for using any of the amenities.

You might want to ask around to find out what the rules are in the communities you might be interested in.

Mikey

Old 02-27-2010, 05:56 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,995,469 times
Default Adult and Gated communities.......

I think anyone who plans to move into one of these communities needs to know all the restrictions and rules before hand. Some from what I found out are very strict, even controlling the number of pets people can have, or cars at the house. You can't even air your quilts out on a nice day. That's not for me.

Old 02-27-2010, 06:37 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,938,206 times
Each community has its own rules. I lived in an over 55 community and, as long as one of the owners was over 55, the age of the others in the same household wasn't restricted AFAIK but I'm not 100% positive. Also, relatives were able to stay in the unit (it was a condo)

Why in the world would you move to an over 55 community with a 16 year old? Seriously, I'm 59 and felt as if I was way too young to stay there. Over 55 means "over" 55. So many people will be over 85. I realize you only want this to be a vacation home, but she'll be using the pool and other facilities, right?

Old 02-27-2010, 08:01 PM

Well, we were just wondering because it seems there are some very nice homes in the adult communities that seem lower priced. Still throwing around options. Thanks for all the input!

Old 02-28-2010, 04:38 AM
GPH

94 posts, read 232,653 times
There are some nice communties, but only you can decide if you can live with all the rules. I agree with justNancy, there is not much a 16 year old will find appealing when it comes to this type of environment. We did go to the pool area at my in-laws place in Englewood, and saw some teens there. Unless your daughter brings a friend along, she probably won't have that much to do.

Old 02-28-2010, 09:27 AM

I guess I imagine ACTIVE adults like the ones they show in the advertisements In reality, I suppose they are more decrepit?

Old 02-28-2010, 11:09 AM

6,864 posts, read 12,080,222 times
It's really not difficult to come to a conclusion as to why the state legislature passed laws to protect 'senior' communities and why seniors only want to live with other seniors in a seniors only community.

Old 02-28-2010, 07:51 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,836,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynne4t View Post
Well, we were just wondering because it seems there are some very nice homes in the adult communities that seem lower priced. Still throwing around options. Thanks for all the input!
There's a reason the prices are lower, there are fewer people interested in buying and fewer people eligible. Always think about the investment you are buying and how hard it will be to sell when the time comes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area