U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 03-11-2010, 10:27 PM
 
Location: Near Nashville TN
7,201 posts, read 13,703,859 times
Reputation: 5431

Advertisements

This seems petty hard to do in Sarasota. I've been using Real Estate Listings, Homes for Sale and Rental Property Listings – REALTOR.com® and do find some - but they're not numerous. We want to keep our RV by the house as I mentioned before. Are there any areas close to the city that allow this? What about a small hobby greenhouse or small storage building? Will we need permits for these two things? And what exactly do deed restrictions mean in Sarasota-Bradenton?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-12-2010, 01:11 AM
 
Location: Paradise
275 posts, read 680,416 times
Reputation: 106
Ooh - Ooh! Find one for us too!

We have seemingly impossible criteria; new/newish (2007 construction or newer), nice style and floorplan, pool, and the approval to have both attached and detached garages (I like to play with sportscars).

I'll be prompting Sue in Ohio to call SoFlGal this weekend to set up an appointment with her when we're in town in a few more weeks.

Fingers crossed...
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2010, 03:29 AM
 
1,235 posts, read 3,480,775 times
Reputation: 973
You'll find east of I-75 to have more homes without deed restrictions. Even just a couple of miles east, the landscape of the area drastically changes. That being said, don't know if you want/like living in the "country" or if being near the water is a must for you. I love the area out east- very peaceful. It reminds me of home (with palm trees)
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2010, 07:42 AM
 
16,510 posts, read 35,765,751 times
Reputation: 21639
Quote:
Originally Posted by PixiStix View Post
You'll find east of I-75 to have more homes without deed restrictions. Even just a couple of miles east, the landscape of the area drastically changes. That being said, don't know if you want/like living in the "country" or if being near the water is a must for you. I love the area out east- very peaceful. It reminds me of home (with palm trees)
I don't think you even have to get that far out east to have that atmosphere. Most people here know we live in Whitfield near the water, it's in Manatee County but one of Sarasota's oldest and first "upscale" neighborhoods established in the 1920's with homes from every era and price range here. We have only minor restrictions, people can have boats and RVs I believe, but i think they have to be kept in the back, not in drivesways in front of the house. Greenhouses and small accessory buildings are allowed also, but must be within the setback allowances, and building permits are required for anything over 120 sq ft.

I do also love the area to the east, like off DeSoto Road, it has a rural feel with lots of trees but close in. I have no idea what restrictions if any are out that way, but it is an area I would live in, if I did not already love where we are so much. I don't think anyone will find a newish home in any kind of development where you don't have very tough restrictions and HOA. My home is from the 1950s (all renovated).

Hope this helps!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2010, 05:19 PM
 
Location: Near Nashville TN
7,201 posts, read 13,703,859 times
Reputation: 5431
Default Not hopeful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Forbes View Post
Ooh - Ooh! Find one for us too!

We have seemingly impossible criteria; new/newish (2007 construction or newer), nice style and floorplan, pool, and the approval to have both attached and detached garages (I like to play with sportscars).

I'll be prompting Sue in Ohio to call SoFlGal this weekend to set up an appointment with her when we're in town in a few more weeks.

Fingers crossed...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Our fingers are also crossed. I've seen a few east of I-75 but they'll surely be gone by the time the Dr allows me to travel. I found them on my own. I was surprised the RE agents weren't aware of them. I suppose I'll have to use that website and find them myself.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2010, 05:23 PM
 
Location: Near Nashville TN
7,201 posts, read 13,703,859 times
Reputation: 5431
Quote:
Originally Posted by PixiStix View Post
You'll find east of I-75 to have more homes without deed restrictions. Even just a couple of miles east, the landscape of the area drastically changes. That being said, don't know if you want/like living in the "country" or if being near the water is a must for you. I love the area out east- very peaceful. It reminds me of home (with palm trees)
~~~~~~~~~~~~
We live in the country now and find it very lonely and isolating. People keep to themselves in the country. If you don't have family nearby it's a lonely existence. We were hoping to live closer in. Being really near the beaches isn't all the important to us - keeping the RV at the house is.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2010, 05:33 PM
 
Location: Near Nashville TN
7,201 posts, read 13,703,859 times
Reputation: 5431
Thumbs down Rules and more rules.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I don't think you even have to get that far out east to have that atmosphere. Most people here know we live in Whitfield near the water, it's in Manatee County but one of Sarasota's oldest and first "upscale" neighborhoods established in the 1920's with homes from every era and price range here. We have only minor restrictions, people can have boats and RVs I believe, but i think they have to be kept in the back, not in drivesways in front of the house. Greenhouses and small accessory buildings are allowed also, but must be within the setback allowances, and building permits are required for anything over 120 sq ft.
The age of a house isn't all that important to us as long as it's sound and meets the hurricane codes (or whatever they're called), has 3 bedrooms, was modernized (who wants a 1960s kitchen?) and has either a large sun porch/Florida room or space to add one - or a lanai.

Quote:
I do also love the area to the east, like off DeSoto Road, it has a rural feel with lots of trees but close in. I have no idea what restrictions if any are out that way, but it is an area I would live in, if I did not already love where we are so much. I don't think anyone will find a newish home in any kind of development where you don't have very tough restrictions and HOA. My home is from the 1950s (all renovated). Hope this helps!
We can't find out much online as to what restrictions apply where. We wont live where there are tough restrictions and don't plan on paying any HOA to tell us how we can or can't live. I like using a washline for example and many "communities" don't allow it. They don't allow vegetable gardens or any kind of storage sheds. It's endless. It's not even like owning your own property when you have all these rules and regulations.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2010, 07:22 AM
 
16,510 posts, read 35,765,751 times
Reputation: 21639
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
The age of a house isn't all that important to us as long as it's sound and meets the hurricane codes (or whatever they're called), has 3 bedrooms, was modernized (who wants a 1960s kitchen?) and has either a large sun porch/Florida room or space to add one - or a lanai.

We can't find out much online as to what restrictions apply where. We wont live where there are tough restrictions and don't plan on paying any HOA to tell us how we can or can't live. I like using a washline for example and many "communities" don't allow it. They don't allow vegetable gardens or any kind of storage sheds. It's endless. It's not even like owning your own property when you have all these rules and regulations.
That's why I live where I live! The restrictions are pretty minimal and I think they are reasonable. I can have vegetable gardens, my "puddy room", or just about anything I want. As I said, the main restrictions here are the setbacks where you can put a fence or sheds, etc.,. They barely enforce anyone's yard looking "scrappy" or anything. It's about the best situation I could get short of being way out in the country or something. Also, building codes are the same all over, because of hurricanes, etc. Here in Manatee you need a permit for sheds over 120 sq. ft. or any structure attached to the main house. I feel so lucky we found this house, because it had everything I wanted (like you mentioned) and in a neighborhood I love. I think it will be hard for you to really search for a place until you are here.

Good luck to you!

Last edited by gypsychic; 03-13-2010 at 07:35 AM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2010, 12:17 AM
 
Location: Near Nashville TN
7,201 posts, read 13,703,859 times
Reputation: 5431
Thumbs up So true........

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
That's why I live where I live! The restrictions are pretty minimal and I think they are reasonable. I can have vegetable gardens, my "puddy room", or just about anything I want. As I said, the main restrictions here are the setbacks where you can put a fence or sheds, etc.,. They barely enforce anyone's yard looking "scrappy" or anything. It's about the best situation I could get short of being way out in the country or something. Also, building codes are the same all over, because of hurricanes, etc. Here in Manatee you need a permit for sheds over 120 sq. ft. or any structure attached to the main house. I feel so lucky we found this house, because it had everything I wanted (like you mentioned) and in a neighborhood I love. I think it will be hard for you to really search for a place until you are here.

Good luck to you!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now with this upcoming major surgery I need, we'll be set back for sure. I'll be laid up for 6 to 8 weeks. Oh well, it could be worse.

My husband also has to get the RV ready for a long trip. It's still winterized. The weather here has been awful this winter. It's the worst since I moved here from NYC in 1979.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2010, 09:41 AM
 
Location: Florida
917 posts, read 2,469,779 times
Reputation: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
The age of a house isn't all that important to us as long as it's sound and meets the hurricane codes (or whatever they're called), has 3 bedrooms, was modernized (who wants a 1960s kitchen?) and has either a large sun porch/Florida room or space to add one - or a lanai.
The age of a house is VERY important. Older homes were not built to today's much tougher codes and will not hold up as well in a storm. This fact will result in higher insurance rates, as well.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
>
Powered by Foreclosure.com
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top