Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 07:05 PM

3 posts, read 6,907 times

Advertisements

I am looking at a move to southwest Florida. My new territory would basically be all of Florida south of Tampa to Melbourne all the way to Miami and the Keys. I am from a more rural part of the world and would prefer to stay out of metropolitan areas but be as centrally located as possible. I will be on the road 2-3 nites a week and will be leaving wife & kids at home. I have kids in middle and high school.I do not want to be on the east coast. Places of interest to me are from Sarasota to Naples with more interest in the Venice & Rotonda areas. What thoughts would anyone care to share with me about the best place for this move?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2010, 04:21 AM

639 posts, read 3,527,184 times
Check out Punta Gorda & Port Charlotte. I just got back from there a few weeks ago. I'd live there in a heartbeat! I have some good friends of mine that moved year round to Punta Gorda's "Deep Creek" community a few years ago and they still absolutely love it there, everything about it. So check that out to see what you think.

Old 05-02-2010, 07:58 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,914,037 times
It depends on exactly what type of lifestyle you're looking for. I lived in Charlotte county-Port Charlotte/Punta Gorda and moved to Sarasota county because I prefer the school system. Not that Charlotte is bad, I just had specific plans for my kids in Sarasota county.

If you want to be in Sarasota county and still purchase/rent at a reasonable price then check out North Port. It's about 30 minutes from the beach, the average age is 38 and you can pick up a pretty nice home in the low 100's.

Venice is also a very nice community but the average age there is 68. Depending on where you live it's very close to Venice Beach.

And Sarasota has a lot more to do-restaurants, lots of shopping, Siesta Key Beach, etc. The prices overall would be much more than North Port for the same house though.

I think you should visit the area and figure out which area is for you

Old 05-02-2010, 08:15 AM

Thank you for the replies. I will be checking out the areas -I have the luxury of time in making this decision. I was just looking for a direction to begin. SoFlGal - what are your thoughts on Naples to Ft Myers areas? Bonito - Estero areas? Not that I will base my decision on my readings only but from what I have read I like Sarasota county better - I feel like I can get more of a rural feel there but I would also like to be as centrally located as being further south would allow me. Trying to have my cake & eat it too I guess.

Order of importance
1) Schools & safety of my kids - family
2) Family - small town atmosphere
3) West coast - beach/island area
4) Water access
5) Centrally located

Price range $200-$300k

Old 05-02-2010, 08:19 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,082,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEFLSEGA View Post
Thank you for the replies. I will be checking out the areas -I have the luxury of time in making this decision. I was just looking for a direction to begin. SoFlGal - what are your thoughts on Naples to Ft Myers areas? Bonito - Estero areas? Not that I will base my decision on my readings only but from what I have read I like Sarasota county better - I feel like I can get more of a rural feel there but I would also like to be as centrally located as being further south would allow me. Trying to have my cake & eat it too I guess.

Order of importance
4) Water access
5) Centrally located

Price range $200-$300k
I would pick Sarasota County, mainly because it is best for the kids. I think the Schools system is better too, and it is just as centrally located, maybe a little north, but closer to larger population centers. Everything else, can be found in either location. Good Luck!

Old 05-02-2010, 08:54 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,914,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEFLSEGA View Post

Order of importance
4) Water access
5) Centrally located

Price range $200-$300k
Well, I'd have to agree with BH. I don't have first hand experience with the areas below Punta Gorda. Naples is too hmmm...how shall I put this, upper class for me. Not sure if that's the right word or not. And the population as a whole is very elderly.

If schools are number one than Sarasota county would be your best bet, in my opinion. Small town atmosphere sounds like North Port for the most part. Beachy would be more Sarasota than the other areas. Water access would be Englewood, Venice, Sarasota. Centrally located would probably be Sarasota.

You could pick up something in your price range in North Port, Venice, Sarasota, really every area. Like I mentioned before the location, age and size would differ from area to area. North Port is the most affordable in Sarasota county and as you move north in Sarasota county it generally gets more expensive.

Old 05-02-2010, 10:04 AM

913 posts, read 2,361,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
Naples is too hmmm...how shall I put this, upper class for me.

I remember when I started thinking about moving to FL, about 20-25 years ago. At that time Collier County (Naples) had the highest percentage millionaires in the country.

Old 05-02-2010, 10:56 AM

639 posts, read 3,527,184 times
NEFLSEGA,

I forgot to add that my friends that moved to Punta Gorda don't have kids to worry about as they're grown up. So when we were having a get together around the pool one night, there was this couple there telling us they ended up sending their two kids up to Sarasota to school. If they didn't drive them up, they car pooled a lot of times. So the school system they said IS MUCH better in Sarasota as the previous posters suggested to you here. They also said it paid off in the end, both their kids have done very well as a result of those schools up thru Sarasota, so something must be right!

We also took a quick cruise one afternoon, while I was there visiting, thru Northport as these friends wanted me to see that particular area, they were telling me how up and coming it is. I'll tell you, I was impressed with it quite a bit. So NEFLSEGA, put that Northport on your agenda for checking it out when you visit, it's really pretty nice!

You'll get it narrowed down, this CD site definitely helps immensely with researching the towns, NO doubt about it, good luck!

Also, YES to the comment about Naples! Evidently it has this reputation of being quite snooty, WHY I have no idea, ya think it's the million dollar babies strutting their stuff around or what! I actually just drove thru Naples really quick one time several years ago, so I can't vouch for it, I certainly didn't see any one that struck me as snooty, although may be I wasn't looking, at the time I just wanted to see Naples really quick, lol!

Last edited by CityGirl52; 05-02-2010 at 11:09 AM..

Old 05-02-2010, 11:09 AM

Thanks everyone! You have all made good points and started me in a direction. I may post back my findings and thoughts as things progress. I'd still be interested in any other opinions or tips that anyone would like to share.

I seem to be dialing in on that Nokomis to Englewood to North Point triangle right now.

Old 05-02-2010, 02:15 PM

1,580 posts, read 3,141,329 times
we settled into north englewood neat manasota beach. this area is amazing. it feels like we are a hundred miles from anything but at walmart, publix or home depot in 10 minutes. there is no keeping up with the joneses. people are friendly and down to earth. it is odd when walking that someone does not say hello. i guess maybe the occasional vacationer from up north. we are close enough to the beach that we walk over the bridge every night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area