Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2007, 12:06 PM

19 posts, read 71,536 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of moving to this area, not for another year or so, but we live in Michigan and this would be a hugh change. My husband is in school and when he gets done there are two company's looking to hire him. One is Gulf Stream, the other is Pratt- Whitney. I think they are both near each other, so I am assuming we would want to live on that side of town....any ideas as to an area. We have an 11 yr old girl.So school would be an issue, we LOVE the country, never lived in a subdivision...would be intresting . thanks for input
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2007, 02:51 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,186,782 times
The West side of the County would be your best bet for an easy quick commute There are several small towns that are in easy driving distance from Gulf Stream. I think, but not sure, that Pratt-Whitney is in the same industrial area. These little towns sort of rub elbows with each other and it's hard sometimes to tell where one ends and the other one starts. It's a growing area. Homes, apartment complexes, condos, you name it, you can find it.

The East side of Savannah is probably the prettiest, but it would add a little time to the early morning commute. The schools in that area are also well thought of.

Old 09-19-2007, 08:58 AM

19 posts, read 71,536 times
Default Padgett2 thank you

I see you answer alot on here so I trust your advice. I lived in Blairsville Ga all through high school and my friends from high schools mom is a realtor in Savannah, but I have not heard from her yet. This web site is good info and I have read alot about people in the same situation we are in, but they all seem to want a condo or a house in the subdivisions, my husband and daughter like to weld and build dragsters, so I think that a subdivision would frown apon that sort of thing, they are usually strick with rules on building in you garages and nosie. We are very respectable neighbors, (in fact the neighbor we have is upset we are leaving, says we are the best they have had )
Anyway , its a little hard to tell on a map what would be out in the country, with land ( at least an acre ). so thank you for your help,I did figure out that there are alot of little towns together , much like here.

Old 09-19-2007, 09:59 AM

34 posts, read 129,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snow4461 View Post
We are thinking of moving to this area, not for another year or so, but we live in Michigan and this would be a hugh change. My husband is in school and when he gets done there are two company's looking to hire him. One is Gulf Stream, the other is Pratt- Whitney. I think they are both near each other, so I am assuming we would want to live on that side of town....any ideas as to an area. We have an 11 yr old girl.So school would be an issue, we LOVE the country, never lived in a subdivision...would be intresting . thanks for input

The Landings on Skidaway Island are a nice subdivision and about 20 minutes from Savannah. Also Richmond Hill is supposed to be nice as well. Check them out!

Old 09-19-2007, 10:52 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,186,782 times
I don't think the Landings would smile upon your building dragsters in the backyard. Your own private fancy yatch, maybe, but not a dragster. Nope.

Your best bet for acerage would be in the Pooler/Bloomingdale area and in Effingham County. Riichmond Hill is getting a little far out for an easy commute. You might need to rent first anywhere it's conveniet and look around for the property that suits.

Check out the classified ads in our daily paper, SavannahNow Maybe there will something that will be exactly what you need.

Old 09-19-2007, 01:19 PM

214 posts, read 900,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetfeet9 View Post
The Landings on Skidaway Island are a nice subdivision and about 20 minutes from Savannah. Also Richmond Hill is supposed to be nice as well. Check them out!
I agree with Padgett, Effingham County or the Pooler area seem ideal and exactly what you would be looking for. You will be able to find acreage in that area and at a decent price. especially the way the Real Estate market is at present time. Good Luck.

Old 09-20-2007, 09:25 AM

726 posts, read 3,603,836 times
look West of I-95: Bloomingdale, along GA 204, Port Wentworth, and along I-16: North Bryan County,Effingham, and Bulloch County also
Jasper County in South Carolina (Hardeeville)

Old 12-15-2007, 09:47 PM

65 posts, read 370,861 times
DO NOT move to effingham county if you are concerned about the commute. ga 21 is the only major route through effingham to savannah, and I have been up this road at 6:30 AM and have seen that southbound traffic (into Savannah) is ALREADY backed up at this early time in the morning. for several miles, i might add! the road is already 4 lanes, and I think it is beyond the help of a 6-laning project which has not even been discussed yet.

Old 12-16-2007, 09:48 AM
JLA

627 posts, read 2,187,597 times
Where in the Savannah area does Pratt & Whitney have a facility? The only location in GA that I am aware of is in Columbus, about 4.5 hours away on the west side of the state. There is some outstanding country living over here, rolling hills and lakes, and we are north of the imaginary gnat line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area