Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2012, 10:13 AM

1 posts, read 1,428 times

Advertisements

Hi, my boyfriend and I will be moving to Savannah from Philadelphia in January and I was wondering if anyone had any insight into an area we checked out. We visited recently and saw a few places we really liked in the neighborhood of 38th and Barnard. We tried to talk to as many people as we could to get a feel for the city while we were there (it was the first time either of us had been to Savannah), but unfortunately we didn't see these places till the last day and we didn't have much time to ask around. The area seemed nice and the prices of the places (we're looking to spend $1000 or under/month) reasonable. Would people recommend this neighborhood as compared to others? Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 05:35 PM

11,396 posts, read 24,456,213 times
Compared to Philadelphia?

I guess it won't be more dangerous. Soon there will be a grocery store within walking distance.

Old 10-31-2012, 07:02 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,929,063 times
38th and Barnard? I think that's a transitional neighborhood; lots of SCAD kids in that area. Much better off than the OTHER (east) end of 38th. But I don't feel comfortable telling newcomers they won't have any issues. That part of Savannah can be very much good block / bad block / good block .... but aren't most urban cities that way? My friend Lila says 38th and Barnard is a good neighborhood (just asked her). But still ... My advice would be to come down and look around some more before signing a lease.

Old 11-01-2012, 09:12 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,610,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PANJ22 View Post
Hi, my boyfriend and I will be moving to Savannah from Philadelphia in January and I was wondering if anyone had any insight into an area we checked out. We visited recently and saw a few places we really liked in the neighborhood of 38th and Barnard. We tried to talk to as many people as we could to get a feel for the city while we were there (it was the first time either of us had been to Savannah), but unfortunately we didn't see these places till the last day and we didn't have much time to ask around. The area seemed nice and the prices of the places (we're looking to spend $1000 or under/month) reasonable. Would people recommend this neighborhood as compared to others? Thanks so much!
I would look a little closer to Forsyth Park or a little south to Ardsly Park, this due to the transiet element around there. It's an area that was partially gentrified before the 2006-7 housing crash. There are still some areas where drugs are sold out in the open and users who you will see, but it is better than 8 blocks east of there where the police use caution.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:22 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,186,782 times
It could be better or it could be worse. Before you decide, try to ride around for a few blocks after dark. That area is OLD, and some of the housing needs major repairing. Some of the others have been beautifully restored and kept up.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:58 AM

24 posts, read 103,122 times
Don't know if this will be too late for y'all but hopefully can still provide some insight. The other feedback posted here seems pretty accurate.

My wife and I used to live in Philadelphia (Germantown) and have been in Savannah for several years now. I work a few blocks from the area of 38th/Barnard and live a little further east near in the 30's. Bellheads comments about the area being transitional is certainly accurate. The area has some great character and attractive rentals but also its share of dilapidated homes and issues of crime, particularly moving west towards Jefferson and Montgomery. The Bull Street area south of 38th/Barnard has a couple restaurants, an vet clinic, new discount grocery store opening, etc. - and the Old Savannah City Mission for what its worth. My former supervisor rented a one bedroom apartment (in a condo building) on 37th Street between Bull and Drayton and really liked it. He never had any problems, walked to work, and had a secure building and gated parking (not that it was entirely necessary in the area but couldn't hurt). I would not have a problem recommending the area to someone who wants to be in the city (affordably) but there are certainly other areas worth investigating that would provide similar prices and similar central location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area